Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Gift with Purchase Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,180 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on December 25, 2009
Creative, imaginative, yes, but also, scary for many. Illustrations are beautiful. The story content was not necessarily appealing to me or the children who shared the story with me. I am surprised by all the 5-star ratings.
on October 10, 2002
Not much can be added to the accolades of so many people concerning the books and art of Maurice Sendak. I grew up with his work, I read his books to my children, I am reading them now to my grandchildren. ... And so will send for a hardback edition this time around. When children ask to read a book over and over again, you know that that book has found a place in their imaginations. This is one such book. When I think of a classic picture book, there are two such Maurice Sendak books that come to mind. His work is beyond mere illustration, it is an artform. The pictures require close attention to catch all the visual nuances.
Max is a typical little boy, who dons his wolf outfit and becomes a 'wolf' in his active imagination. In sending him to bed without dinner, he uses his imagination to turn his room into a wild forest inhabited by humongous monsters. He asserts his powers over the monsters, and becomes their rightful king, for he is surely a monster himself! Yet, his mother loves him in spite of his monsterism...and eventually he comes home to find that mother has relented and brought in his dinner...
This winter, get this book, this classic and sit down in a big chair with a child and read and pore over this book together. Every time a child is read to, it expands their imaginations, helps to determine their life course, aids in getting them ready for school and the 'real world'. Our children are not getting the aural and visual stimulation that is our right as chldren. My parents read to me, and I've never stopped reading because of that...in spite of captioned television and computer access. Our children have a right to be read to by someone they love and someone who loves them. Turn the television and computers off, and use a rainy evening to spend time with your own monsters. Maybe someday they will become the next Maurice Sendak!
Karen Sadler,
Science Education,
University of Pittsburgh
on April 20, 2009
I was born in 1962 the year before this book was first published. The book was read to me many times by my dear Mother who passed away March 1st 2009.

The book is wonderfully illustrated and has very few words, but I think that is what is so special about this imaginative story. It leaves so much room for your imagination and it never grows old. I can remember my Mother using different voices for each character in the book when she would read it to me and when I got a bit older I read the book over and over again.

Nothing will fill the emptiness in my heart, soul and body caused by my Mother's passing, but looking back on these cherished memories makes it easier and bearable. I was lucky to share many years with her and I never took her for granted.

I love and miss you Mom!

I wasn't aware that this book was even in print until reading an Amazon friend's review for it. Thanks Andrew!

This book is something every parent should share with their child or children. It will help them explore their imagination and they will know they are loved! What more could you want from a children's book?
1818 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2016
bought as a present for a 2 year old but this is a very old favorite of my sons and mine. Every child should have their own 'monsters' to keep forever. I had saved my sons' copy and it was destroyed in a house fire. I must buy another copy to have here as well. To me "where the wild things are" is close to Milne's Winnie the Pooh. Everyone should have a copy of each in the house. They're all about life.
on June 1, 2016
I've been collecting Classic Children's books and I have never actually read this one, but I knew it was very popular. I guess I thought the story would have a bit more to it. I don't know if I would read this to a very small child as some of the Wild Things look a bit scary. I guess it depends on the child. As an adult though, I did enjoy the artwork.
on November 24, 2015
I got the book Where the Wild Things Are because one of my twin four year old boys reminds me so much of the little boy in the book, Max. Oftentimes he gets into mischief, more so than his brothers. When I came across this book on Amazon I automatically thought of my rotten little boy that usually just can't keep his fingers off things. I just knew he would love this book, and I was right! My strong willed, free spirited child who normally won't sit still long enough to eat his supper, sat mesmerized throughout this whole book. Each time we turned the page he was excited about the pictures and wanted to see what adventurous thing Max or his wild monster friends would do next. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone with children.
on August 2, 2015
There was a bar code sticker placed right on the front of the book jacket. When I tried to peel it off, it started to tear the jacket. This was purchased as a gift for someone so I was not pleased. We love the book itself though.
review image
on August 9, 2016
This is a really nice copy of a classic, must have book. This goes in the pile of the books that my 1 year old daughter can't play with by herself yet, because I expect her to keep this forever. (I still have mine.)
on November 2, 2016
I know this is supposed to be some kind of quintessential childhood classic, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why. My son loves books, loves stories, and demands story time on a regular basis, but he doesn't care two whits about this book, and I don't blame him. There is no story. There are a few lines in the front about Max being an ugly little boy and a few lines at the end where he comes back to a hot dinner, but the majority of the book is nothing but pictures. This is one of those rare instances where the movie was better. I suppose that opinion is tarnished a bit because I never had this book as a child, but I can't see my dad spending money on a story with no story in it, and I feel foolish that I did. Purchasing this book was a lesson for me, though. I learned never to buy my son books off the internet. Now I actually go look at them, turn the pages, and make sure I know what I'm buying before I buy it.
on April 23, 2016
I bought this book for my daughter when she was little. I probably gave it to the library after many years. I bought it now to read to my grandchildren. I love classic books that you can pass on from generation to generation. Some times kids can get wild and very overactive. You are constantly telling them to calm down or give a time out. Reading this book to them can bring them back to reality. The pictures and illustration are wonderful. It is also a great book for children to learn how to read. The printing is large where it will get their attention. Great book for children and grown ups to enjoy.