Lyft Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Fergie GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > The Great Mouse Detective forum

Where is the sequel???? Bring back Basil and Dawson!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2008, 2:20:26 PM PST
If ANY Disney classic deserves a sequel it is this fine film; there are limitless possibilities and storylines for Basil and Dawson, PLEASE make one! It just begs for a sequel, and the many fans of this wonderful but under appreciated and lesser known classic would adore another chance to see Basil and Dawson in action again, with the faithful Toby to assist!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2009, 9:00:08 PM PST
B. C. Koleta says:
I can't quite say that I'm a fan of Disney's 'Classics' being carried on in hopeless attempts to retain their original magic by releasing sequels, BUT, if ever a movie could actually substantiate a quality predecessor...it would be this one. This is definitely an under-rated and underappreciated Disney film, though why I cannot understand, as it is in my personal 'Top 5' picks. The setting and the story line, the characters, and (who could forget), the amazing artistic historical milestone that was accomplished to create the climactic ending sequence in Big Ben...HOW could anyone NOT love this film?!

What I'm MORE upset by, however, is of the immense critical reception and attention this film deserves, yet is denied due to its' unjustified lack-of popularity. I make it a point to collect and purchase every one of Disney's re-vamped Classics as they are re-released (finally) on most likely the highest quality & most impressive bonus sequences that will be possible on DVD in the 'Platinum' & Special Editions lines. I've checked back often and stayed on top of the most recent news and release information available, and it has been to my attention for years that THIS film is one of only about 4 that has still yet to receive a proper release. Alongside, 'The Rescuers' & 'The Rescuers Down Under', this is one of the ONLY Disney original Classics Canon films that has not been restored and re-released for its ultimate DVD package. I'm deeply disturbed by the negligence of the Disney Corporation in remaining completely oblivious to this film's significance...enough to warrant an equally proper DVD release. How am I supposed to continue collecting and make my extensive and well-preserved collection of Disney Classics complete without The Great Mouse Detective? Does anyone else agree....? I really would like to start a petition or somehow get into contact with Disney to express my distress with their releasing schedule, but I have no promising leads that would make this possible. No information is out there for the general public on how to voice general suggestions or complaints, but this is surely needed to be addressed. If anyone feels the same about this favorite film, and hopes to be marking their calendars some time in the NEAR future to ready for its over-due release, PLEASE post any feedback & advice of your support!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009, 9:44:35 AM PST
I'll be more than happy to sign any petition to have this underrated classic released in the way it should be accorded as one of the best of all the Disney movies. I am astonished that no one ash had the imagination to follow up with a sequel, it is ready made and the most obvious one to rate a sequel, but I guess first things first and first we need to get his out in a decent release.

Posted on Mar 22, 2009, 9:31:12 PM PDT
Vocaloid says:
The Great Mouse Detective should indeed have a sequel. But Disney has this habit of taking classic movies, and turning them upside down (Take Fox and the Hound 2 for example). The sequel MUST stay true to the original story! It should start off with that new case that Basil and Toby was working on with that mouse lady near the end of the first movie. Hopefully if Disney does release it they'll make it right and not a boring, undercut "rush release" as they have been doing recently with their classic "sequels" and "prequels".

Posted on Mar 23, 2009, 6:50:17 AM PDT
Absolutely right; excellent point! They even have the beginning all prepared! And of course, it must be in the original 2d format, although with the anticpation of Princess and the Frog in 2d, that should not be a problem and having seen some of the art from Princess, this is going to be a huge hit.

Posted on Jun 9, 2009, 3:47:04 PM PDT
I love The Great Mouse Detective and I hope Disney will release this movie as a Special edition, (better if is a 2-disc set). But I hope Disney will NOT make a sequel out of this movie. I'm tired of all this CHEAPQUELS that Disney had been releasing downgrading the beauty of the original classics. Hopefully John Lasseter as smart as he is will not let any other movie be ripped by leting a bunch of unexpierenced guys do stupid movies only to gain more profits. Please we want quality not quantity. Hopefully this excellent movie will be left alone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2009, 4:00:43 PM PDT
In this case, I must disagree with you because the movie so plainly cries out for a sequel, it is already there, at the end of the original, the lady mouse who comes to the door at the end, obviously in distress, needs help so that would be the sequel. It could absolutely be done as well as the original and would be fantastic if only someone had enough imagination at the company to see it.
However, if that is not forthcoming, then yes, I would also love to have an upgrade 2 disc DVD. One way or the other, this movie deserves something more, whatever form that takes.

Posted on Jun 9, 2009, 6:08:16 PM PDT
I disagree because as you can see since "Return of Jafar" that is the first CHEAPQUEL, is obvious that nobody in Disneytoon Studios (The studio that is responsible for animated TV series and this "sequels", in other words an unnecessary branch of the Walt Disney Company) has the creativity to do a worthy sequel. besides, I don't think that plot is a good one in order to make a movie and a key point is missing: Ratigan; this villain is excellent and helps the story to be as good as it is. But he died at the end so no I don't think is a good plot for a sequel, is like the Monsters, Inc. finale, you can think that Pixar can do a sequel but this people are really intelligent and they only do sequels that they know will be good such as Toy Story 2 that is an excellent movie. Like Monsters, Inc., I think the end of the movie is the perfect end. Yes I hope they release it in a better edition because the current DVD is a little bit dated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2009, 7:33:21 PM PDT
If it was done quality, meaning, theatrical release and not direct to DVD which is always bad, it could do very well and the Return of Jafar is entirely different, this Basil has a definite opening for a sequel or more sequels. Pixar is all wrong for this, their work is excellent but this needs to be done the old fashioned way, animated as in the original.

Posted on Jun 9, 2009, 7:45:09 PM PDT
I think Pixar is very wise in releasing movies that are woth it. Maybe the movie will look good if is release theatrically but let's not forget how bad The Rescuers Down Under was, and it was animated as the original. For me the plot is not convincing and the lack of Ratigan in the film will make it more unatractive. Also a good sequel needs to have the same voice cast as the original, and I think the actors who voiced the characters are very old to do it again, new voices will be just awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2009, 2:00:21 AM PDT
That's a lot of negative assuming, who's to say? If it was done right, it could be wonderful, as to losing Ratigan, there are other villains they could come up with, some sort of evil scientist mouse a la Dr Frankenstein, for example. This would not be a Pixar movie, and while I agree re Rescuers Down Under, just because that movie was bad does not mean a sequel to Mouse would be bad also. But whatever the powers that be decide, I would be happy with a new 2 disc DVD release. I also wish they would do that with Ichabod and Mr Toad, that is begging for the "star treatment" also.

Posted on Jun 10, 2009, 12:23:55 PM PDT
I agree with you. This is not a Pixar movie and has to retain the old methods in which the original was created. but let's not forget that is because John Lasseter from Pixar that Disney is again doing traditionally animated movies such as the Princess and the Frog because before that Disney announced that Home on the Range was their last traditional movie. John Lasseter also announced that they will not do more direct-to DVD movies except for the air bud and the tinkerbell franchise, so this are excellent news; so this means that if they want to do a sequel, they will have to do it for theaters by which the movie will have a better chance to be good. I remain skeptical about a sequel but if they do it let's hope they do it as good or even better than the original. One last thing, we can't expect a sequel until at least 2013 because Disney announced all its movies until 2012. I have never seen the Adventures of Ichabod but some people had told me that is a good film, well maybe it deserves a better treatment.

Posted on Jun 10, 2009, 2:34:15 PM PDT
Oh, it does; out of all the Disney animated classics, that is my all time faovrite and the one I watch over and over again, it really is a must-see if you haven't seen it.
From the one clip and the artwork I have seen from Princess and the Frog, it looks to be an exquisite and wonderful film, I can't wait to see it, it will certainly be gorgeous as is evident in the artwork. I also look forward to Rapunzel.

Posted on Aug 1, 2010, 2:10:35 PM PDT
HAMLET says:
it would be nice if Disney would make a sequel, but sadly, Ratigan can't be in it (as he died at the end, and the man who played him, the wonderful actor Vincent Price, died shortly after filming "Edward Scissorhands"). However, a sequel wouldn't be a bad idea, if Disney did it correctly (personally, I loved "Pocahontas II," "The Return Of Jafar" & "Aladdin And The King Of Thieves," but I HATED "The Lion King 2" & "The Lion King 1/1/2"-these last two were cheaply produced and rushed, not to mention a lack of a good script and the wonderful animation of the originals; though the animation for "The Hunchback Of Notre Dame II" was wretched, I thought it had a good storyline). My problem with the direct-to-video sequels Disney produces is that they're too short.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2010, 3:11:56 PM PDT
I'm sorry about Ratigan, but that was not what I meant; I notice the forlorn lady mouse at the end, and that is where the sequel should begin. There would be no point on continuing with Ratigan anyway, since that part was finished. But here is plenty of room for new stories, e.g., the lady mouse.
Further, I absolutely agree that it should not be a direct to video production because they are cheaply and poorly done. It should be a theatrical release, done in the classic 2D format.

Posted on Jul 24, 2011, 6:59:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2011, 6:59:49 PM PDT
Tommy says:
Two truths and a lie about the professor.
1. He's a mouse.
2. His first name's Padraic.
3. He's actually soccer star Jason Kreis.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2016, 12:20:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2016, 12:24:20 AM PDT
Reyelene says:
I would definitely want a sequel to The Great Mouse Detective. It definitely deserves one! And a sequel to The Black Cauldron would be nice too! But I also agree with most everyone else in that the sequels should stay true to the original story lines and be done right. Personally, I wish the character Fidget would re-appear since he was my favorite character and I wasn't too happy with how he went, BUT even if the character is never brought back, I would still see the sequel (when and if it ever comes out).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2016, 7:47:34 AM PDT
Totally agree Rayelene!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Jan 20, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 27, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
The Great Mouse Detective [VHS]
The Great Mouse Detective [VHS] by Vincent Price (VHS Tape)
4.7 out of 5 stars (430)