Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 30 reviews
on October 10, 2014
Once separated by iron bars James is now back and claiming to be a changed man. But for every time Lisa says no to him, a little more of who he really is resurfaces. James Harris is the man Lisa Jenson thought she would marry. He turned out to be the man who would almost kill her. Twice!
This is an emotional journey into the life of a survivor of domestic abuse.
This is a good book for any woman who has been a victim of domestic violence or who has known someone who has been a victim.
The few editing issues did not take away from the storyline.
I enjoyed the book and look to read more from the author.
on November 26, 2011
In her debut novel, Where Would I Be, Laura T. Johnson, takes us on an emotional journey into the psyche of a survivor of domestic abuse. Lisa Jenson, a successful Investment Banker at Morgan & Peterson, has finally put her abusive past behind her - or so she thinks. Afraid to love again, Lisa takes a six-year break from relationships; that is, until her strikingly handsome colleague, Marcello "Marc" Cavell, catches her attention. Try as she might, Lisa soon finds out that her feelings for Marc are stronger than her restraint.

After serving three years behind bars for beating Lisa within an inch of her life, James Harris resurfaces with aspirations of reconciliation. She continues to reject James' assertions that he is a changed man, and after much prodding, decides to give love another try with Marc. Her decision only serves to fuel James' obsession: "I'll see you dead before I see you with someone else..."

Laura T. Johnson's, Where Would I Be, is a heartfelt story of love, loss and redemption. Her characters and relationships were believable and relatable. While well written, there were a few choices that detracted from the story. Firstly, at times, it became difficult to tell who was speaking during conversations. This is an easy fix for the author. Secondly, many of the sex scenes (and they were hot!) had repetitions such as "whispered against her lips" and "hard against her inner thigh". Again, this is another easy fix for the author. Lastly, aside from the author telling the reader the ethnicity of a few of the characters, there was no clear differentiation in vernacular, preferences or mannerisms. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a clearer delineation between the ethnicities.

Despite these detractions, Johnson still managed to weave a powerful story of one woman's struggle to love again. I would strongly recommend this book for anyone who has experienced abuse or is looking for a romantic love story. I admire Johnson for her bravery in allowing us a peek into her personal experiences with abuse, and I suspect, a peek into the heart of a woman who still believes in love despite almost having it beat out of her.
on October 16, 2013
I love this book and the author. Loosely based on true events, "Where Would I Be" tells the story of survival. However, the thing I love most about "Where Would I Be" is Laura took the time to give a voice to the family and friends of domestic violence survivors."Where Would I Be" discusses how domestic violence relationships touches everyone from parents to children. No one gets out alone and this story drives that point home. Each character has wit and an individual voice. It was the each character's distinctive voice which made reading the dialogue and conversations easy. This book is a must read for everyone from the girlfriend who asks, "why does she keep going back?" to the mother who wonders, "Does she know I love her?". "Where Would I Be" is such an encouragement. As Laura's debut piece it is the shining example of her motto: there is life after domestic violence.
on May 27, 2012
This is Miss Johnson's debut novel and deals with a very serious topic, domestic violence. She takes you through Lisa (her main character's) life from the time she met James as a young girl. It shows the manipulation, possesiveness and abuse throughout their relationship. She eventually found the courage to file charges, for which he served six years, bur as soon as he was released, her nightmare started all over again.

This is a well written novel, and for any woman who has been a victim of domestic violence or who has known someone who has been a victim, knows the heartache of living that life. Lisa shows her determination and resilience to exit that life and move on with a new man who knew how to trat her. I strongly recommend this book.
on July 12, 2012
I really enjoyed this story even though I am not big on romance novels. The character Lisa, deserved to be happy and I liked the love that she found in Marc. This story was well-written and I'm waiting on the next book from L. Johnson. Superb job.
on October 24, 2011
This book will take you through every emotion you are capable of achieving. I absolutely LOVED this book!!! Lisa is a survivor of domestic violence through great friendships, strong family support, and an incredible new love. Marcello (Lisa's new man) is the perfect example of a good man... This book has helped me in many ways as I am a domestic violence survivor as well. Keep up the good work Laura...can't wait until you release a new book, whether it is based on domestic violence or not...you are an awesome writer! Thanks for a great read!
on January 15, 2013
Inspite of editing flaws and repetition, this was a heartfelt, touching love story and I can't wait for her next book. Love turned Lisa's life upside down. It was uplifting and gratifying to see dreams come true. I started reading this around 11 pm and cldn't put it down until I finished. I was whipped the next day but the book was worth it. So glad this book was recommended to me!!!
on February 22, 2012
I enjoyed the story for the most part; but the ONLY thing that annoyed me is that the author seems to want to waste many pages on casual conversations between the characters. Of course, we need to know how they interact, but, after a certain point, I was saying to myself "COME ON, now, get to the meat and potatos of the story". Otherwise, I would certainly seek out this author once more, to see if that improved.
on November 2, 2011
I enjoyed Reading this Book and I thank Laura Johnson for sharing her story. At points it was a little longer then what I wanted but over all I enjoyed the book. She is a survivor and found the love that she deserved even though her past almost held her back from it. With a Strong Support system from her New Love and her family and friends she was able to move forward. Her Ex got just what he deserved. Good Debut.
on October 17, 2011
AMAZING THIS BOOK SHOW,WHAT BATTERED WOMEN GO THRU FROM START TO FINISH WHETHER WE SURVIVE OR NOT BECAUSE IN THE ENSS,ALOT OF US ARE PERMANTLY DAMAGE WHETHEROR NOT ITS MENTALLY,EMOTIONALLY,OR PHYSCIALLY.I AM DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SURVIVOR OF 5 Yrs.THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO N PLACES THAT WILL HELP U.I HOPE SOMEONE ACTUALLY GETS SOMETHING OUT,OF THIS STORY