Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on November 11, 2012
Contains some hilarious, side-splittingly funny stories and some very interesting insights into the world of Hollywood, and the film making industry in general. The dry humor infused in the stories is very effective, making for a thoroughly entertaining read. The "adult" content in the book humorously demonstrates the sordid side of human nature. One chapter even contains an intriguing, albeit disturbing, story about the potential dangers of visiting a foreign country, while others contain satisfying tales about sweet revenge. I found the book to become quite addictive actually - once I'd finished reading one story, I just had to go on to the next one, even if it was getting late and I had to get up early for work the next morning (you know how it is - just ONE more chapter...!)

A lot of the stories are filled with suspense, leaving you biting your nails, wondering what will happen next. The adventurous assistant describes how they got themselves into a tricky, awkward situation that could get them into big trouble. Will they be able to cover their tracks in time? You can really empathise with these (often mistreated) young assistants and the tyranny they put up with in order to get ahead in the industry. They are often expected to go above and beyond the call of duty and perform a variety of difficult, often downright awful tasks. I agree that aspiring Hollywood actors should definitely read this - it would put them off for life, though, so perhaps that isn't advisable! Makes you so glad that you are not a part of that world. A fun and interesting read - recommended!
on September 16, 2012
This book is about working for and around famous Hollywood celebrities. None are named or in any way identified, but are given names like Guest Star or Very Famous Actor. This was totally fine with me and didn't detract from the book at all. I'm sure the author would prefer not embarrass anyone, and probably also signed a NDA.

Hilarity abounds in these short stories of real situations this author experienced while being an assistant. While I was able to find sympathy for some of the celebrities (especially the guy who peed in the car) this book truly shows the lengths people will go to humiliate others, completely disregarding the fact the rest of us are human beings, simply because they have money and can pay someone to do mundane or disgusting tasks they would rather not do themselves. While I was surprised, I never experienced disbelief. I can picture most of this stuff happening.

Having been an assistant in the past, to a very horrible man, I found my own experiences to be nothing compared to being the assistant of a celebrity. People vie to work for celebrities, and I always thought I understood why, but I don't. I would never want to be put in some of these horrible situations, especially the one dealing with the dog.

I found this book to be properly edited and well formatted for e-reading.
on October 20, 2012
A fascinating look at a relationship between assistants, who willingly join a life of servitude and sometimes abuse for a promise of fame and fortune, and their employers, who sit on top of the Hollywood food-chain. The stories are entertaining and range from rather disturbing to very touching.

I especially liked two stories, one where an assistant takes his boss's Porsche for a ride with rather hilarious consequences and another about a writer's assistant at a cable sitcom, patiently waiting for months to be given an opportunity to write a script for an episode but denied at the last moment.

No names are mentioned, so if you are looking for 'dirt' on somebody famous, you'd better stick with your usual gossip publications. But I still would recommend reading this little volume for it provides a unique inside perspective on Hollywood, a world in and of itself, where appearances are deceptive and promises are fleeting.
4 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on May 7, 2014
This little book has some good (but very short) Hollywood assistant stories but the structure of the book is confusing--it apparently is about different people who were assistants but is extremely inconsistent from one story to the next. And there is one major flaw--no real names are used anywhere in the book. So you don't know what to believe and end up not really caring. One story is about a major female star--but without knowing the identity there is little investment in the story. Another story is about a sitcom producer--but without knowing the show you don't really care about the minor mistreatment that occurs. At the end of every story you kind of shrug your shoulders and go, "So what?" There needed to be specific names to make us care.

Most of the things that happen to assistants are pretty petty. This isn't a big expose of major mistreatments. There are few surprises in the book because we've all heard stories about how bad Hollywood people can be. In the end it's a quick, easy read if you need to pass time on a plane ride or the beach but it's not anywhere near as good as "You'll Never Nanny in this Town Again," which names names and has some real shocking behavior. So buy that book and skip this.
|0Comment|Report abuse
This book is a collection of stories told by the assistant of famous people that will amaze you. Some of the stories are what you would expect from rich, influential and famous people and other blow you away with their over-the-top-ness. It has juicy gossipy tidbits that really make you wish the author named names!

The title of this book grabbed me right away, "Where's My F-ing Latte" is just too funny! I love books like this, it definitely reminds me of Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip -- Confessions of a Cynical Waiter, which I also loved. This book is an awesomely good book, I couldn't believe some of the stories that I read, though I know what ego-maniacs people can be, so I'm sure they are true! I just wish I could put a name to all those stories, it would have been even better if I could imagine someone so mild on TV/movies like Tom Hanks or someone being a raving jerk!!

My favorite was definitely 'The Very Famous Actor' story, it just blew me away. This book has exactly what you would expect from a great book - it'll make you laugh, it'll make you shake your head in amazement at people's attitudes, it'll make you be happy that your're not an assistant!

I can hardly wait for the next one to come out, I'll be pre-ordering.
on July 10, 2015
Incredibly, incomprehensibly bad. How does a book this awful get published? I enjoy a bit of fun, mindless Hollywood gossip, but this was just dumb. It's stupid frat boy bathroom humor. If I were author I would be ashamed to have my name attached to this book. If you think peeing on your bosses' toothbrush to get revenge is some sort of hilarious. clever revenge no one in the universe has ever thought of before, this book may be for you. Otherwise don't bother. It's dreadful. It's not funny. It's just depressing and desperate. The only thing good about it is the title.
One person found this helpful
on February 10, 2014
There couldn't be a better title to describe this book. This is Fcuking brilliant. I just wanted to read the first couple of pages before I did some work, but ended up reading the entire book! Nemcoff captures your attention from the first paragraph and eloquently writes about what goes on behind the glitz and glam of Hollywood, allowing you to take a peek at the real side of celebrities and millionaires. This is Nemcoff's incredibly funny account as an assistant to the rich and famous, you soon discover that being the right hand of such people is not as glamorous a job as it may seem. This truly has been a cracking read that had me in fits of laughter from very early on. I just can't believe that there are people out there that actually want a job like this. I highly recommend this to everyone who wants an easy read that makes them smile, and makes them appreciate the job they have. *****
on March 13, 2013
Sometimes I want something to read that doesn't get too detailed. I don't want to have to think, I just want to be entertained. This is certainly the book for that exact purpose. First and foremost, it's actually a compilation of stories from different people so some of the stories seem more random than others. Second, I couldn't stop laughing my head off at the shenanigans these assistants get caught up in. To be honest, there were at least several of the stories that left me in disbelief and I questioned how valid those events truly were. Nonetheless, you will be at least partly entertained. I still pop open this book whenever I need some light reading to put a smile on my face.
5 people found this helpful
on January 31, 2012
Wheres My F-ing Latte? is a very interesting look at Hollywood insiders from people who worked for them.

From being forced to get a dead 110 pound dog out of a freezing pool to being forced to leave their grandfathers funeral early because their bosses dog died and the assistant had to go buy things for that funeral to a guy doing some really gross stuff to get back at his soap opera star boss who has OCD. The one that got stuck in my mind was the story about the assistant who dealt with his bosses sister. She wanted to borrow a house that her brother owned in Mexico so she could party with her friend. On the day that she was to go back to the states she disappeared and the assistant had to go around making calls and had to call the boyfriend of the friend his bosses sister went to Mexico with. They still have not been found.

All in all a very good book.
on October 19, 2013
I didn't think it would be. Mark Yoshimoto Nemcoff has lifted the lid on the goings on `behind the scenes' in Hollywood and aired them in public. Sure you get to meet the rich and famous by being at their beck and call date and night and handling the jobs they would rather not do, but there is a price to pay. I guess the assistants end up as hard hearted as their bosses after constantly brushing off the `hopefuls'. I think the assistant's famous father must have been a bit of a sadist asking this industry to look after his progeny.
It takes talent to bring to life the outlandish and sometimes pathetic behavior in the corporate sector and Hollywood is up there with the best. Mark's ironic style of writing sets the scenes and he is not without empathy as he tells his tales.
If you want to know whose doing what to whom, buy this book.
Yvonne Crowe, Author of The Magdalene Conspiracy and other novels