Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 321 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 448 reviews
on September 22, 2013
The first third of this yarn showed real promise for an interesting read, but then it became asinine when the extraneous psychic was written into the plot.
There were entire paragraphs with detailed descriptions of her visions and I started skipping those entire chapters and skim reading the rest to get to the end.
Pity really, the author does have a flair with words but seems to have not been sure how to progress the tale, or has become distracted and went off on a tangent with the psychic angle.
Unfortunately the rationale for the multiple murders stretches credibility and the author seems to realize this and quickly wraps it up with a sudden ending.
This book deserves more than ** based on the writing, but the silly plot destroys the potential.
on January 2, 2017
It was OK but not one of my favorites. A little gruesome... murders were gruesome
on May 21, 2017
Outstanding novel. Very well written, thoroughly entertaining and truly suspenseful. Not many novels keep me so engrossed, but this one did. I highly recommend this one!! I really wish Kaufman had more novels like this one. Very well done.
on November 6, 2013
Title: While the Savage Sleeps (Unabridged)
Version: Kindle/Audible
Author: Andrew E. Kaufman
Narrator: Luke Daniels

SUMMARY

Kaufman wastes no time in beginning the murderous events, which will continue to unfold in the town of Faith, NM. There is something awry in this, usually, violence free town. Some are aware of the unusual circumstances, unfolding in this close-knit community; however, the typical naysayers, present in every novel, are unconvinced.

Kaufman gives the novel a great non-stop movement, filled with suspense, mystery, violence, and "horror," Additionally, a perceivable "supernatural" undertone, seems to be at work. This "supernatural" or "precognitive" plot, brings Assistant Sheriff Cameron Dawson (Faith, NM) and Dr. Kyle Bancroft (Albuquerque, NM) together, to solve the strange circumstance in Faith, NM.

REVIEW

While the Savage Sleeps, is a suspenseful and forward driven novel. Kaufman does an excellent job at keeping the reader interested and entertained. With so many killings, suddenly occurring, in such a small town; it appears, to be the work of a sadistic serial killer. However, despite the similarities in the killings; the evidence points to more than one killer. Is there really a supernatural force at work, supported by the visions of Dr. Kyle Bancroft, or something else, equally disturbing? What is causing this once quiet town, Faith, NM, to be the location of multiple homicides; vicious crimes, carried out by mild-mannered citizens? The more confident you become in your own mystery solving; the more you will doubt yourself.

The novel is a guessing game...Kaufman is great at keeping readers interested, and has an imaginative writing technique. While he does through in some forensics, police procedure, interview techniques, etc... The reader is able to dismiss incorrect technical issues and procedural errors, due to the inexperience / relaxed environment of a small town Sheriff's department.

The main premise of the novel and eventual conclusion, is interesting enough, without the added distraction of Dr. Bancroft. She is really the "achilles's heel" of the novel. Her strange psychic powers and annoying self-doubt, caused me to dislike her character and my overall enjoyment of the book. Obviously, Kaufman had his own vision when writing the novel, and felt that she served an important role.

I give "While the Savage Sleeps" four stars and recommend it to anyone interested in suspense thrillers over police procedural or hard-boiled crime novels. With a less convoluted plot (sans Dr. Bancroft), I believe this novel would be a 5-star read!

If you enjoy suspense thrillers like: "Abandoned," "Pines," and "Run" by author Blake Crouch - I think this novel is for you!
If you are more of a Brett Battles, Michael Prescott, or Lee Child fan, you may want to pass on this one.

I hope my review was fair and helpful. Thanks! Michael.
on September 8, 2013
Author donated through Sisterhood of the Traveling Books via Goodreads.com for a fair and honest review.

Goodreads Description- TWO STRANGERS

Cameron Dawson's got a past he can't seem to shake, but he's hoping to change that. He's moved back home to Faith, New Mexico and taken a job as assistant sheriff. What he doesn't realize is that his newest nightmare's about to begin. Strange things are happening. People are disappearing, and for others, it's far worse ...

DISTANCE SEPARATES THEM

Miles away in Albuquerque, Kyle Bancroft's life is spinning out of control. She's seeing, hearing, and dreaming things she can't explain: Flashbacks to World War II and an eerie hospital ward with locked doors, empty gurneys, and guttural screams. To make matters worse, a ghostly green-eyed girl is complicating her visions with an urgent message: Time is running out.

A DARK SECRET CONNECTS THEM

Kyle's otherworldly encounters are driving her straight toward Faith ... and right into Cameron's life. The body count is rising, the pressure is mounting, and the clock is ticking as they rush to uncover a dangerous secret hiding just below the surface of this all-American town--one that's threatening to destroy Faith and everyone in it. A secret they must hunt down quickly ... even if it costs them their own lives.

A VOICE FROM THE GRAVE WILL DRAW THEM TOGETHER.

Not all books deserve their 4 or 5 star ratings. This one does. It has a unique, exciting storyline that mixes mystery and suspense with forensics and even a hint of romance. The detail and complexity are expertly written in a way that is not frustrating...even the fact that I figured it out before the end didn't irritate me as it usually does; caused me to say "bravo" instead. The characters are believable and memorable...they grow on you and I don't think any of us would mind seeing some of them again.

I also have to say that many horror books don't really scare me but this one did. Some of the descriptions of what was happening to Kyle while she was having her visions totally freaked me out. To me that is a good sign of a horror book.

Like I said earlier, I figured out the ending in a general sort of way through Kyle's visions. One of the major reasons that I had to bump this down to a 4 star book was the ending and the cause of the murders was a little far fetched and was in line conspiracy theorists. Yeah maybe these things happened but for this to happen to an entire town and to take so long for the effects to take place really were a little hard to believe.

This is the second book I have read by Kaufman and I think it is definitely fair to compare him to Dean Koontz and Stephen King. His horror really is scary horror and he does a wonderful job with his craft. 4 stars!

Oh and by the way...I do hope that Kaufman does a sequel to this book so we can see where the characters go from here.
on September 26, 2015
While there are times this writer can be a bit overly dramatic he definitely gets the job done. Through a good portion of the book I had no clue what was going on which is frustrating for someone who can usually guess the whodunit whydunit or twist by a few chapters in. This book kept me guessing longer than most. I genuinely liked the main characters and actually hope to meet them again in another book (hint hint if the author is reading this). While not a complete homerun for me this is a good read that will give you a good ride. For someone as picky as I am when it comes to thrillers that is high praise indeed.

P.S. I would love to see what Mr. Kaufman could do if he teamed up with J.A. Konrath/Jack Kilborn and or Blake Crouch. (That was another hint in case the authors didn't pick up on it.)
on May 7, 2017
It's a good read, writing is good and it's not boring, keeps you into the story for the most part.

But, for me at least, it was too predictable. First half is great because you keep creating scenarios in your head, but from that point on you begin to figure out the outcome and figure out the ending before you get there. So you hope for a plot twist which doesn't really happen. Perhaps that's why I found the ending shallow and disappointing.
on April 27, 2014
The beginning of the book was strong and really drew me in. It was around the middle that it became predictable, sadly, and the end was rushed. The use of the doctor seeing images was rather pointless and did more damage to the story (in my opinion) than good. I would suggest this book for a quick read, but not something to really sink into.
I just finished reading Kaufman's The Lion, The Lamb, The Hunted and liked it so much that I went searching for other books by the same author.

I enjoyed "While the Savage Sleeps," too. Murder, mayhem, mysteries (old and new) with a psychic thrown in - what's not to like?

I liked Assistant Sheriff Cameron Dawson and psychic Dr. Kyle Buchanan. They made a great team, working on the mysterious happenings of Faith, New Mexico.

My one (small) complaint was that there were too many characters that dead ended in the story. They would appear for a couple of paragraphs and then we'd never read about them again. But this didn't detract from the story much.

It was still a fast-paced scary story. Oh, do be warned that there are many violent scenes in the book.
on May 2, 2017
ok read, rubbish end and a reliance on a deus ex machina psychic.

The plot seemed good and the sense of intrigue was great.
Then in comes the psychic and makes it all very predictable.
The book leaves a few unanswered questions/story threads that were started early on, character development is minor. Overall plot is simple but the author tries to hide the 'secret' from the reader.