|Item Weight||2.4 ounces|
|Product Dimensions||4 x 2.8 x 2.8 inches|
|Item model number||279816|
|Item Package Quantity||1|
|National Stock Number||5920-01-483-1981|
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ $4.57 shipping
Whirlpool 279816 Thermostat Kit for Dryer
|Price:||$8.39 & FREE Shipping|
|You Save:||$25.42 (75%)|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Whirlpool 279816 Thermostat Kit for Dryer
- Kit includes a thermal cut-off fuse, a high-limit thermostat, and an electrical connection hardware
- Use this kit to replace your dryer's blown cut-off fuse and thermostat
- Genuine Whirlpool Replacement Part
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
THIS 279816 WHIRLPOOL DRYER HEATING ELEMENT THERMAL CUT-OFF AND HIGH-LIMIT THERMOSTAT KIT IS DESIGNED TO WORK WITH MANY WHIRLPOOL, ROPER, KENMORE AND MAYTAG DRYERS.
From the Manufacturer
Top Customer Reviews
Here's a suggestion. If your high-limit is bad (NOT the bigger resettable!) you can reset the high-limit fuse by smacking it to the ground. Seriously. Start off with a medium smack, and smack it increasingly harder until you get continuity. There's a "spring" inside it that resets. I'd use a meter, since it's a PITA to test inside the unit. I had to throw mine down on concrete, but it worked, charmingly.
Then you can order this for cheap instead of getting ripped off by Sears.
1. I paid Seneca River Trading for expedited shipping and it went USPS Priority Mail from NY 13027 to TN 37923. It took 10 days for delivery but even UPS ground would have gotten it to my door in 3 days.
2. Seneca River Trading put the product in a padded USPS flat rate envelope instead of a USPS flat rate box plus some bubble wrap. The thermal cutoff had a bent prong and the thermostat had something that looks like a pop rivet that had busted. Both items appear to work OK but the packaging allowed minor damage and only luck prevented them from being damaged enough that I'd have to pursue another replacement part.
3. The screws in the kit don't thread into the holes on the dryer. Not a big deal as I had plenty of computer screws from PC builds lying around that did fit just fine. But for someone with less spare parts laying around this could have been an issue as the provided screws wouldn't turn more than once until the thread was in a bind and the thermostat was still wobbling around.
4. I've edited this review 3 times now. Amazon doesn't want me to link to the youtube video that gives instructions for modifying the wiring to use the new part since the old part is wired differently. Please note that the instructions provided with the kit are not clear. Google the part # and watch the video on youtube since I can't link to it from here. With the tools I had stripping the wires and crimping the new leads was a hassle I wouldn't wish on anyone with poor coordination or poor tools. If you are not the Do It Yourself type you'll want a friend to do the wiring work for you or you'll want to pay someone to do it.Read more ›
After replacing just one of the two parts, and have it burn up again in about a week, I realized there was an *orange tag* near the part slot, advising to *always* replace both parts at the same time. So I bought the same kit again, and replaced both parts, as advised.
I also read that this part can burn out if the output duct is clogged by too much lint, so I also cleaned up the output duct when installing the second kit. It has been two weeks now and the machine still works well. I am a happy customer.
The replacement coil I received was identical to the original, except for the fact that the mounts look a bit beefier. I replaced the coil along the thermostat and coil fuse (not to be confused with the motor fuse, which I also replaced)...I probably could have reused the original thermostat and fuse, but several sources suggested that the thermostat can be damaged by the heat of the coils when there is no air flowing...better safe than sorry! Once I got everything installed, my dryer is working good as new.
Just FYI - the new coils will smell funny for the first load or two, but that should go away pretty quickly.
I had tested the thermal cutoff and ascertained that was the problem. The kit also includes a thermostat and all instructions (included, on Amazon and the Web) recommended replacing both. They were right! I did a test BEFORE replacing the thermostat and the dryer definitely ran too hot - probably what caused the thermal fuse to blow in the first place!
I was very pleased with the delivery time - it only took a couple of days, even via USPS. I am now a hero in my wife's eyes!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The wire was a little undersized and burnt in two after installation, had to replace it with something heavier. This is my 3rd kit.
Next step is to buy a whole new dryer. Read more
I gave it 4 instead of 5 because it took a week to get here and my dryer lost heat the day after I ordered it. But the thermostat works greatPublished 1 day ago by JEFFREY MCLEAN
My clothes dryer had movement but no heat; however, with the help of these parts and You Tube I was able to repair my clothes dryer myself. Read morePublished 4 days ago by Skeeter
Not sure if it was an inferior part or not, but it only lasted for 4 drying loads before burning out again. Read morePublished 5 days ago by DoItYourself
Sent me wrong part when installed it stopped working with in two minutes and was low gualityPublished 10 days ago by Mohammadayann