Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Whiskey Beach
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Format: Audible Audio Edition|Change
Price:$23.95

on August 6, 2013
I liked this novel very much, but I also agree with many of the reviewers who found Whiskey Beach to be somewhat formulaic: the house on the hill, the historic, scenic, quaint town with its interesting and sometimes eccentric residents, a focus on some past event and its impact on the present, the quirky, but delectable hero or heroine (often a writer), the murder-mystery that isn't impossible to solve. At times, while reading Whiskey Beach, I could have sworn I was reading a scene that I had just read in Angels Fall! The thing is, however, that I LIKE Nora's formulas, and I think of them not as formulaic, but as Variations on a Theme, a long-standing artistic tradition (think Jane Austen in literature or Renoir and Monet in painting or almost every great composer of classical music). Quite simply, the predictabiliy of many parts of the novels of Nora Roberts is, for me, restful, pleasurable, and even desirable. Her novels can provide escapism ftom an otherwise often chaotic reality. Thank you, Ms Roberts!

And a tiny, reluctant thanks to Penguin Publishers who, finally, seemed to have minimally mastered the ability to publish relatively error-free ebooks. Of course, Penguin being Penguin, once again significantly raised the price so that, eventually, I believe they will completely price themselves out of existence. Soon, we Kindle readers will look at what we're paying for, and, once the novelty wears off, will consider reverting to our old habits, like waiting to buy the used paperback version of all but the best of the best authors and their works! I can hardly wait!
on July 9, 2015
Here are things more interesting than this book:

1. Being on hold while waiting for customer service
2. Standing in line at the DMV
3. Rice cakes
4. Waiting for the ad on a YouTube video to finish
5. Filing taxes

Uninteresting and predictable. Sorry Nora.
Eli Landon has been living in pure hell...a mere shell of the man he once was (a successful criminal defense attorney). For the last year, he has faced the daunting task of living with the fact that everyone (besides those that are close to him and love him) thinks he killed his wife. Eli and his wife, Lindsay were in the mist of a divorce, when he discovered that she had been having an affair (with Justin Suskind). Following a very public argument, Lindsay was discovered beaten to death with a fireplace poker in their Boston home. Detective Wolfe, the lead investigator on the case, has dogged Eli's every move and will stop at nothing to make sure that Eli serves time in jail for the deed, even if the evidence doesn't quite add up. The lover's wife(Eden) has vouched for his presence the night of the murder, and no matter what Eli does, or who he hires, he finds that evidence concerning his innocence is just as hard to find as the evidence to convict. Having decided to go home...to Whiskey Beach...to take care of his family residence (while his grandmother recovers from a bad fall), all Eli wants is peace and quiet. Time to lick his wounds and find solace. Time to write a novel (something that he has always wanted to do) and heal. What he never expected was his grandmother's housekeeper, Abra Walsh to act like a whirlwind and completely take over and change his life. She makes him eat (even when he doesn't think he's hungry); encourages him to exercise; cleans his house; and even tricks him into getting a dog. She's even committed to helping Eli prove his innocence. We also find that Abra has scars herself, and is healing from an ordeal in her past. She too does not want to follow the future that was so carefully scripted for her, but instead acts as a "jack of all trades".....teaching yoga, cleaning houses, cooking, making jewelry, server/bar-maid and giving massages. As the two get close, they face danger. Eli discovers that someone has been searching the basement of Whisky House (for buried treasure) and may have been responsible for his grandmother's accident. And when Abra is attacked in his home and people start getting killed, the two deduce that the death of Eli's wife, may be somehow related to these latest events. As the killer is revealed and the motive made clear, the two find a love that will rival no other.

I must first say that I am a huge Nora Roberts fan, but this story was just ok. I'm not sure if it was because it reminded me a little of something else by her, or why, but I did not have my satisfied feeling (like I normally do)at the end of this one. Maybe it was because I thought Abra was a little too corny (and a little all over the place) or maybe it was because Eli was a little too something...I'm not sure what it was....but I wasn't in love with this one. However, being a die hard fan, I will eagerly await the next Roberts book.
on September 18, 2015
The story was okay, but there was a lot of offensive language, and i could have lived without the supposedly steamy sex scenes (call me old fashioned, but I thought love came before sex!) Abra seems like just the perfect little energizer bunny; and of course being independently wealthy doesn't hurt.
This just seemed too perfect. I was surprised about the murderer, though.
VINE VOICEon June 4, 2013
WHISKEY BEACH was another powerful romantic suspense title from Nora Roberts. I fell in love with both Eli Landon and Abra Walsh. Eli has come back home to Whiskey Beach to try to rebuild his life after being accused of killing his estranged wife. He has lost his career as a criminal defense lawyer is in a state of depression. He is also being harassed by the Boston police detective who is sure he is guilty despite a lack of evidence. He is back at the family home -- Bluff House -- because his grandmother had a serious fall and almost lost her life. She wants a Landon to live in the house as they have since the Revolutionary War.

Abra Walsh is a relative new-comer to Whiskey Beach but she had managed to build a satisfying life for herself. She does some housekeeping at Bluff House and for others too. She teaches yoga, gives massages, and serves drinks at the local bar on Friday nights. She is also rebuilding her life after personal trauma and has regained her cheerful, positive attitude. She sees that Eli needs some help and starts working her way into his life.

When Abra is attacked in Bluff House and together she and Eli discover that someone is digging in the basement, the questions just keep building. Is the attack related to Eli's wife's death or his grandmother's assault? Are the long-held rumors of buried treasure at Bluff House true?

The story was filled with tension and the growth of a realistic relationship between Eli and Abra. I liked that both characters were still healing and were cautious about getting involved again. I liked the way the tension in the story kept building and building.

This one is highly recommended.
on May 22, 2014
I wanted to love this novel but, sadly, it did not meet par. I suspect that Ms. Roberts could not make up her mind as to the genre of this novel. Romantic? Suspense? Murder/Mystery? It meanders around the houses and gardens like someone under the influence of spirits (no pun intended). For suspense/murder I much prefer her novel The Witness. which literally flowed along. This effort is stilted, does not flow smoothly and the narrative between Eli and Abra is uninspiring.

The 'hero' is a broken man, relocating to his rather grand historical family home following the brutal murder of his wife. This character is well developed and one can almost feel his bitterness and pain in several passages. The heroine, by contrast, is entirely annoying - can turn her hands to anything but pushy. At times I wanted to slap her and tell her to go away which is what Eli should have done. However, how could this be a 'so called' romantic novel if hero (albeit, weak) does not fall for her; a situation which I find stretches the imagine and I have an extensive imagination.

If this was a school report card I would have to advise Ms. Roberts to 'Try harder!'
on June 4, 2015
I've seen a lot of Nora Roberts books and have a friend who swears by them, so I bought one on her recommendation. It was okay, but I don't know what all the hype is about. I read a chapter every night before I went to bed and never had an inclination to pick it up at other times. The characters didn't draw me in. The only one I really cared about was Barbie, the dog...and I'm not even a dog lover. So, if you like her other books, I guess you'll like this too. It didn't wow me.
on May 19, 2013
Nora Roberts has a legion of fans for good reason. Her books are set in beautiful locations (in this case the Massachusetts coast), the characters are interesting (beautiful, handsome, moneyed), and the plots are somewhat believable. I didn't think that this was her best work, but it's a fun read that will keep you entertained.
on August 6, 2015
I have read a few of Nora Roberts books but have to say this was not a favorite of mine. I put it down for a few days and then went back and it still did not hold my interest. I did read the whole book, but it did not hold my interest, but that's just me. The first book I have read from this site that I really not enjoy. The other books sometimes I could not put them down. Maybe you will enjoy it. Will look forward to your review. Thanks
on May 18, 2014
Nothing like being blamed for a murder you didn't commit, then being targeted by the murderer when you're trying to pick up the pieces of your completely destroyed life. Throw in a woman who isn't quite what she seems, and you have the makings of a Nora Roberts romantic suspense.

Roberts has successful woven together passion, obsession, murder, humor and romance in Whiskey Beach. Eli Landon comes home to Bluff House to recover from the events of the last year. Abra Walsh has found her place in Whiskey Beach, and is the housekeeper at Bluff House. She also happens to be the sexiest woman Landon has seen in a long time. Life begins to beat anew in his bruised heart. But then, Abra is attacked and the mystery blooms anew.

Roberts never disappoints. Whiskey Beach is another great novel which is impossible to not devour in one sitting.