Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 173 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 218 reviews
on January 26, 2017
I think I first heard Motorhead in 1982, and was a fan of the music from the beginning. Later, I got exposed to Lemmy as a person (see his bits in "The Decline of Western Civilization, Part II"), and you just had to love the guy's personality. Unabashedly happy in the midst of the lunacy he created, he was a rare mix of insanity and durability that you can only appreciate after you hear the unhinged tales of his life. Reading this is a lot like sitting down with him over a few beers and listening to his stories, complete with the sort of self-deprecating side comments that you'd expect in a conversation. Some artists are tortured, but Lemmy was just having a ball the whole time through, and it made reading his autobiography a delight.
on September 29, 2013
I’d heard good things about this book, and I knew I needed to know more about Lemmy, so I went out and bought it. Good thing I did!! It’s great fun, and like nearly every autobiography I’ve ever read starts with a modern life anecdote before heading into the usual “when I was a lad…” stuff, about growing up, in Lemmy’s case with a single mum, a deadbeat dad (who he at least acknowledges with a picture in the pictures section) and not-much-better jailbird stepdad.
It quickly gets into music, which some people would sneer is an alien concept for this noisemaker and hellraiser. For a hardass like Lemmy, people may be surprised that his favorites are Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley, the usual stuff that punkers and heavy metallers usually don’t refer to. But then again, you have to remember – Lemmy’s old enough to have seen them when they were starting out, even if his heart is as young as the snottiest upstart metal brat (there’s a great quote in the movie that Rollins relates: “I remember before there was rock and roll. I remember when there was only Rosemary Clooney records. Then we heard Elvis Presley and there was no turning back.”). He talks about the mods and the rockers. “The Mods used to wear eye make-up too, especially the boys. The crowd of people I was in disliked them, but in retrospect, it was no worse than what we were doing. I mean, we thought they were sissies, and they thought we were yobs – and you know, we were both right.” There’s a great story about befriending Jon Lord of Deep Purple, then living with a young Ron Wood and Art Wood. He also hung out with the Beatles (and, as we find out in the documentary, had a child with a girl who lost her virginity to John Lennon).

The Beatles revolutionized rock ‘n’ roll, and they also changed the way everyone looked. It seems ludicrous now, but for those days, they had very long hair. I remember thinking, ‘Wow! How can any guy have hair that long?’ Really, it was just combed forward, with a slight fringe over the collar. We all had quiffs then – before the beatles, it had been ducktails and Elvis.

He compares the Beatles and the Stones, overturning the impression that the Beatles were mellow and the Stones were dangerous: the Beatles, being from a tough town like Liverpool, knew how to take care of themselves, whereas “the Rolling Stones were the mummy’s boys – they were all college students from the outskirts of London.” There’s also the great story of him working as a roadie for Jimi Hendrix for a year and a half (and in the documentary he talks about helping Hendrix score acid, ten hits at a time – Hendrix was generous and would take seven tabs, and give Lemmy the other three.

When he performed, he would drive the chicks nuts. I’ve seen him go in his bedroom with five chicks – and they’d all come out smiling too. And of course, the road crew got the spin-offs. A stud, Hendrix was; and I’m crass enough to think that’s quite a good thing. I don’t know what’s wrong with being a stud – it’s more fun than not being a stud, that’s for sure!

In the movie there’s a funny quote from Lemmy: “people ask me what I think of Prince; I say ‘I’ve already seen Jimi Hendrix.’” A funny tale about the other guys in The Experience:

I liked the other two guys in the Experience, too. Noel Redding was all right, only he used to wear a nightshirt to bed, and Alladdin-type shoes with the curly toes and a nightcap with a tassel. That was quite a sight. Mitch was nuts, as he still is today, in fact. One time I was standing on a traffic island in the middle of Oxford Street and Mitch bounced up to me, wearing a white fur coat, white trousers, white shirt, shoes and socks – complete vision, you know. ‘Hello, I don’t know who I am!’ he said and ran off again. I don’t think he knew who I was, either!

He talks about some of the albums he played on in the early days, throwing out lines like “I must get a copy of it one of these days”, which means that someone will read this and send him a copy. Nice move.

For most of the second half of the book, Lemmy is consumed with writing about the recording of albums. “We went into the studio and did an album… then we did the next one… then we did the next one…” He also talks a bit about tours, memorable shows, line-up changes, and management grief. Occasionally he pauses for an anecdote, or a bit of philosophizing. Sometimes he talks about writing a song for someone else (Ozzy, Lita Ford, Girlschool, etc), and how he made more money off of writing songs for Ozzy than he ever did in 15 years with Motörhead. He also describes how he got involved in a few unlikely pairings, such as a supergroup he was in with the Nolan Sisters that there’s a cool little video for.

The Nolan Sisters were great fun – we used to run across them quite a bit because they were on the charts at the same time Motörhead was. Everybody thought they were soppy little popster virgins but they weren’t. They’d been around – they’d played with Sinatra at the Sands in Vegas. They were tough chicks, managed by their father, but they were really great. And funny as scoot. Once our manager, Douglas, was talking to Linda Nolan in the Top of the Pops bar, and he dropped some money on the floor. When he bent down to pick it up, Linda smirked and said, ‘While you’re down there…’ That was the last thing he expected out of a Nolan sister! Maybe wishful thinking and he dreamt it up, but it shocked the stuffing out of him.

Naturally, being fired from Hawkwind gets the full treatment.

Ultimately, the first half of the book is way better than the second half, as autobiographies tend to be.

Great book. Anybody who’s ever rocked out to Motörhead songs that they didn’t pay for, do yourself and fork out for this; everybody else should as well.
on April 21, 2013
Lemmy is a very funny man. He also loves a bit of a moan. By the end of the book I felt I had gone through all the stages of a long term relationship: the initial charm of novelty followed by the disillusion of recognizing a person’s quirks and ultimately just loving the whole package. This book is a great romp through Lemmy’s adventures as a rock star from his first aspirations in music to his ultimate almost-legend status. I loved reading about his relationships with other bands like Black Sabbath, The Damned and Twisted Sister and his love for his own band members in Motorhead, particularly drummer, Mikkey Dee. Ironically, Lemmy has made more money through penning songs for Ozzy than through all of Motorhead’s albums, but he laughs about the whole thing. There are plenty of tales of women, drugs and debauchery, all told with gusto. Although he has been accused of being sexist and racist, Lemmy comes across as a very open human being with no preconceived notions against anyone. He also has a few words of wisdom, such as, “There are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken.” If you like rock memoirs, this is a great read.
on March 29, 2016
You know for someone to Live the way Lemmy did for seventy years is simply amazing.
Lemmy remembered a lot of detail of his life, made the book readable, and entertaining. Read the book in a matter of hours with Motorhead in the ear buds the whole time (highly recommended)
on June 24, 2011
I have recently read a bunch of the 40something rock bios (don't ask me why, maybe its because I'm a boring 35yr old father of three). For what its worth, they were

Ozzy - very funny, great down to earth British humor
Hammer of the Gods - OK, but a bit disappointing given the hype surrounding this book
My Life, Keith Richards - actually very good, he remembers it all!
Slash by Slash - a friend gave my this. Not bad, a little too many drugs methinks
My Appetite - Steven Adler. Friend's copy. Rather sad book.
Walk This Way by Aerosmith, The Dirt by Motley Crue. These two are the best of the lot, because they are written by members of the band and entourage, so we get many different stories, and the same stories written from different perspectives. If I remember way back to English lit teachers rambling on about unreliable narrators and all that, these books are very interesting in a kind of post-modern way (or something like that, jeez) in that there is no one single narrator. Ya, OK.
Lemmy by Lemmny - the book I'm supposed to be reviewing. Very funny at first, but the tale is a little light, especially when told by one guy. Found myself skimming near the end. For what its worth would have liked Motorhead to have written a book, call it Spades of Aces.
Anthony Kleidis book - front man of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I hated this. Perhaps I was burnt out reading about the rock scene, but for me this guy is just a narcissitic moron with no sense of humor.
The Heroin Diaries, Nikki Sixx. Fair enough, but The Dirt is much better.
on March 22, 2017
what a career, props to the Lem for surviving the mayhem and never backing down! may he rock in peace, but i guess he wouldn't want to…
on June 28, 2016
If you're a Lemmy fan this is the book for you. I bought this as a gift for my husband after he saw an interview with Lemmy and wanted to know more. He read this in a couple of days -- the only down side is that now I've got to listen to Motorhead music constantly and I'm not a fan!
on September 11, 2017
tldr; wrote music, drank whiskey, banged women. lemmy is god
on April 29, 2014
Lemmy writes the book exactly as if he was sitting in front of you telling the stories. It's no-holds-barred, non-sugar-coated and pulls no punches. He says exactly what's on his mind and doesn't give a crap if anyone is offended. While not always PC (big surprise!), he shows an open mind and calls 'em as he sees 'em, judging people by their character (or lack thereof) and nothing BUT their character. His stories are completely honest and often hilarious. I laughed out loud many times. If you saw his documentary and liked it, you have an extra appreciation for him after reading the book. He's a badass cool guy, no question.
on July 23, 2017
Great bio of the great Lemmy!!