Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 73 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 90 reviews
on July 17, 2017
Joanne Shaw Taylor is a heavy weight British Blues Artist. She is one of the best electric guitar players and vocalists in the contemporary Blues music. On 2009 when she released her first album (this one), many were skeptic but today, everyone takes her serious and when we talk Blues, we surely speak of her.

Joanne Shaw Taylor started Rocking in 2002 and she released her first album (this one) on 2009. She has been a success since then and bigger than ever today!

“White Sugar” Album

This is Joanne’s first album and most likely the best one. The album was an instant smash. Joanne Shaw Taylor clearly proved that she is a power house and a superb singer and songwriter.

If you do not know her, you will surely assume that she is American. Her guttery deep Blues voice and her electric guitar style is simply way too much American Electric Blues to be British! She is a master guitar player. The reality is that she is a British girl!

In this album the band played in this manner:

Joanne Shaw Taylor: Guitars, Vocals
David Smith: Bass
Steve Potts: Drums

The album has some heavy duty hits:

Going Home (Electric Blues)
Just Another Word (Slow Blues)
Bones (Heavy Blues)
Time Has Come (Blues Jam)
White Sugar (Blues Rock)
Blackest Day (Slow Blues Jam)

Once you hear this album, you will recognize that this girl was a star since her first album. You will also be sold on the fact that she is presently one of the best female electric guitar players in the Blues and Blues Rock music styles.

“White Sugar” is one of the top Blues albums in the contemporary music and surely is one of Joanne Shaw Taylor’s top works. This is one Blues album worth to purchase and collect.
VINE VOICEon April 18, 2011
I really, really like this album the vocals are an odd mix of Amanda Marshal, Vonda Shepard, and Melissa Etheridge, with the occasional emotional warmth of Bonnie Raitte. The musicianship is literally awesome, that just left me standing there in amazement. If you like the blues, or any type of kick a** guitar playing, then this is a CD for you.

But here is the deal... why am I not in love with this recording instead of just really, really in like with it?
Some of the engineering or production or whatever you call it was absolutely frustrating. For one glaring example, "Blackest Day" is now my favorite song right up until the last three seconds of the song. In those last three seconds they go from a guitar shredding solo, (one of the best ever) to an old AM Radio style fade out. It makes me mad every time I listen. Fortunately there are several web videos of live performances of this masterpiece that she reportedly wrote as a young teen.

But that tweak aside, this is a great album that gets a lot of play time on my daily commute.

If you like the blues... Get yourself some "White Sugar"
on December 6, 2012
Joanne has a great voice. She's a great electric blues guitar player. She has created wonderful songs. I love the sound of her voice and the tone of her guitar. I have all three of her albums. The other albums are growing on me, but this one is still my favorite. Joanne, if you read this, I tried to put a message in the logbook of your website, and it required me to "enter the underlined numbers" or something like that. Well, there were no underlined numbers to enter, and the site would not accept my comments and best wishes. So, you might fix this. Also, I suggest you put the lyrics to your songs on your website; I can't quite understand some of them, and I like the songs enough that I'd like to have the additional clarity. Best wishes, Joanne! You're a treasure!
on February 10, 2011
Taylor is a young 20 something blues guitar prodigy from England and this is her debut album. Taylor's guitar playing will instantly remind people of contemporizes like Joe Bonamassa, and this is a very very good first effort from Ms. Taylor. Her playing is fluid and tasteful while her vocals are low and sultry. If you are looking for great blues rock guitar tracks like "White Sugar", "Watch Em Burn" and "Blackest Day" should scratch that itch. She is not in the same league as SRV or Bonamassa at this point, but she is well on her way to getting there someday. This is a very good debut blues / rock album that is well worth checking out. Taylor is one of the brightest lights to come on the blues scene in quite some time and I think she has a great future in front of her.
on September 20, 2016
BUY THIS ALBUM! First I must say I am a Blues and Classic Rock fan. When you consider the GREAT albums and artists of the past it's hard to give a record five stars but this one is worth buying. One listen through is album made me turn my head and say WOW. Really tight band, well written songs and sultry vocals. Her guitar playing will blow you away. This album is well worth a look.
on September 28, 2012
I had never heard of Joanne Shaw Taylor until a friend who is really into the blues had White Sugar cranked up at one of his pool parties. She sounded hot so I was inspired to look it up and add it to my stack.
There are going to be the inevitable comparisons to a whole list of great blues rock artists, many of whom like Shaw are British, but you have to give her credit. Instead of an album of mostly covers, White Sugar is mostly full of pretty decent Shaw originals. Her besotted voice is nearly perfectly suited to the music and her play is fiery. My favorites are the rousing Bones, a searing Time Has Come, Watch 'em Burn, and a slow-burning Blackest Day.
The CD is housed in a standard plastic jewel box and comes with a flimsy insert sadly containing only minimal album info. If you like the blues and blues-rock, you are bound to like this. Check it out!
on March 5, 2010
Resistance is futile.

I saw this release mentioned in Classic Rock magazine a short way back and it piqued my interest. So I girdled my loins (so to speak) and parted with my credit card details and wow, what a revelation this release was for me.

Ms Taylor plays what I would loosely define as singer songwriter stuff but not of the shiny pop collagen lip injection and push up bra variety but of a more down to earth yet vibrant nature. This album is market as somewhat of a blues release but for me it's more than that, it's hard to think of any social situation outside of a funeral where you couldn't play this such is it's utility and the whole thing feels so organic and earnest that you feel somewhat churlish even trying to think up any criticism. The production is clean but without any attendant smell of antiseptic (ie not too clean) and the young lady has a smooth and steady if non-gymnastic vocal delivery as befits the overall comfort factor inducing nature of the album. And album it is, my meaning being that the whole thing hangs together so well it's hard to think of any dud track. Though standouts are easier to come by such as the lead cut and Who Do You Want Me To Be?.

Oh and the guitar she is holding on the front cover. The lady can play it - it's not there for show or to aid some sort of `rock chick' marketing campaign by the suits as the record company. And joy of joys she wrote all the tunes! No lyrics to the whole shebang would perhaps be my only tiny quibble. But the catalogue insert I got with my copy came in handy as it revealed to me that Ruf (the record company in question) has a double CD entitled Blues Guitar Women that went straight onto my wishlist such is my desire to see if the rest of the genre can possibly stand up to this fine album from an artist who I've now added to my list of those I follow, buying releases from religiously.
on June 11, 2014
I guess JST is not well known world wide. I guess that means she is the best kept secret of the blues. I bought this on a whim and liked it so much I bought her other 2 CDs almost immediately. Calling her a female Stevie Ray Vaughan is not far fetched. I would really like to see her break through and become a household name. She is going to become a star at some point, she can't miss. She has become among my top 5 guitarists, she holds her own on stage with anyone. I am sold on her forever
on August 27, 2015
I received it today and after listening to the complete CD I will say: It is excellent and though not familiar with Joanne Shaw Taylor now I am and also a fan and will be buying more of her music. Excellent Blues, Talented Guitarist, Amazing Vocalist and totally fine...
on February 2, 2017
What can I say. Best guitar licks I have heard in 40 years! And the soul of Janis Joplin on vocals. You must buy this!