Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: White Sugar
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on July 11, 2009
I bought this CD mainly for curiosity. I did not know anything about this young artist even if she is British. I have to say that I am pleased I did it. White Sugar is a very solid blues/rock CD and Joanne displays all her ability as guitar player and singer. It looks pretty evident that SRV and Albert King are her main influences. Her style is reminiscent of the sound of the two great players of the past and this is really clear in the two excellent slow numbers included in the mix. Listening to Time Has Come you will surely be able to recognise two or three licks very distinctive of Albert's style while in Blackest Day, that is also in my view the best song of the album, the influence of the great SRV is very strong. Having said that I would like to point out that Joanne guitar playing is really very good and her soloing is always well balanced and inspired. I would like also to add that she is a good singer too, and this is a plus that is not so common in the business. In conclusion a very enjoyable album that will please blues and rock/blues aficionados.
on March 12, 2009
Attention all Blues Fans!...Caution: Molten Hot Female Blues! I like Susan Tedeschi like the next guy, but Holy Smokes! I don't even know what to say. I read about this woman in the best rock magazine on the planet, Classic Rock Magazine, picked it up and it's just Too Hot, Too Hot Too Handle as the old UFO song goes. A caucasian Brit female playing white hot Blues...a rare bird indeed. I'm hooked! It's like Joe Bonnamassa, Jonny Lang, Susan Tedeschi, Robert Cray and Bonnie Raitt all rolled into one. Highly recommended.
on July 1, 2009
I'm pretty new to JST but have heard her name mentioned on some message boards. Well, I'm sold now that I've listened to White Sugar. I agree with other comments of a voice like Susan Tedeschi or Bonnie Raitt, combined with the ability to smoke on the guitar at or near the level of any of the top players (Bonamassa, Mayer, Trucks, Lister, etc.). This plus great songwriting and a sound from blues to bluesrock but with a pop sensibility. This lass from England is a real blues star on the rise.
on August 18, 2010
Dang. Shoot. This babe is one of the hottest blues guitarists (male or female) I've heard in a real long time and, believe me, I'm always on the look out for new talent. Thanks to Amazons fuzzy logic programs I have been turned on to Tab Benoit, Tinsley Ellis, Walter Trout, and Tommy Castro to name a few ...

I tell you this though .. Joanne Shaw Taylor blew me out of my own sofa last night and I kept saying to myself ...this is not possible ... this is not possible ... how can a 23 year old WHITE girl from Birmingham, England, sound like this. Man. She is Buddy Guy in drag. An old old soul in a white women's body. Listen to her chops, licks, runs, harmonics and solos .... all so crisp and deadly and played with a firey passion ... If she stays on track ...this "freak-of-nature" will become a blues megastar ... Do yourself a favour and just get it.
on November 8, 2009
I bought this CD after just hearing the small bits of music. After listening to the whole CD there isn't a 'bad' song on the album. Her guitar solos' are great, lots of feeling, and her vocals just seem to fit right in with her guitar work. "Blackest Day" has a long and great solo. I highly recommend you add this album to anyone's collection, this CD has a 2009 date, so I'm going to look for more...
on May 12, 2010
This is a great blues/rock album from start to finish. Excellent riffs, vocals, and even a few great solos. The last song is the best in my opinion but, then again, I tend to go for longer songs with big instrumental sections. If you like modern blues, buy this album!
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2012
I had never heard of Joanne Shaw Taylor until a friend who is really into the blues had White Sugar cranked up at one of his pool parties. She sounded hot so I was inspired to look it up and add it to my stack.
There are going to be the inevitable comparisons to a whole list of great blues rock artists, many of whom like Shaw are British, but you have to give her credit. Instead of an album of mostly covers, White Sugar is mostly full of pretty decent Shaw originals. Her besotted voice is nearly perfectly suited to the music and her play is fiery. My favorites are the rousing Bones, a searing Time Has Come, Watch 'em Burn, and a slow-burning Blackest Day.
The CD is housed in a standard plastic jewel box and comes with a flimsy insert sadly containing only minimal album info. If you like the blues and blues-rock, you are bound to like this. Check it out!
VINE VOICEon April 18, 2011
I really, really like this album the vocals are an odd mix of Amanda Marshal, Vonda Shepard, and Melissa Etheridge, with the occasional emotional warmth of Bonnie Raitte. The musicianship is literally awesome, that just left me standing there in amazement. If you like the blues, or any type of kick a** guitar playing, then this is a CD for you.

But here is the deal... why am I not in love with this recording instead of just really, really in like with it?
Some of the engineering or production or whatever you call it was absolutely frustrating. For one glaring example, "Blackest Day" is now my favorite song right up until the last three seconds of the song. In those last three seconds they go from a guitar shredding solo, (one of the best ever) to an old AM Radio style fade out. It makes me mad every time I listen. Fortunately there are several web videos of live performances of this masterpiece that she reportedly wrote as a young teen.

But that tweak aside, this is a great album that gets a lot of play time on my daily commute.

If you like the blues... Get yourself some "White Sugar"
on September 10, 2015
there is something about Birmingham,England that produces fine blues musicians. Joanne Shaw Taylor is from there and on this,her debut CD,she continues that fine tradition with a powerfull set of guitar,songwriting and singing. Her guitar is upfront more on this one than on her succeeding releases.Thats a good thing as it shows off her impressive skills on her instrument. That said, I cannot think of a more impressive debut this century.
on October 14, 2009
I've been looking for something new since Joe Bonnamassa has cooled down. By chance, I came accross this Blues "Phenom"!!! She is fantastic, the playing, the writing, the voice. Joanna Shaw Taylor is a triple threat, squared. I ordered this disc not expecting to fall in love, well, I did! Since receieving the disc about a month ago, I have not taken it out of my player even once. I can't wait for her next installment of sheer musical treats.