Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 49 reviews
VINE VOICEon May 19, 2011
The sequel pales a little bit compared to the original, but I see it as adding to and expanding upon the original. Buy both.

I read both months ago, but every day, I will see something a white person is doing or hear a snippet from a white person-wannabe, and I think of the insights offered in these books. A book that you recall months later means it is a proven classic.

White people are accustomed to viewing and judging non-whites and the wrong kinds of whites. Here, Lander turns the tables and judges the judges. He exposes them as being as conformist and doing things and professing interests just to belong to their group.

Yes, to be sure, he is not writing about all white Americans, but only about the so called self appointed cultural elite, the upper middle class, the traditionally liberally educated ones. He makes the distinction clear when he describes the subject whites' aversion to the wrong kind of whites (the mainstream, the majority, the poor and merely middle class).

What he has captured applies equally and with nuance to upper middle class blacks, Asians, and Latinos - he is an equal opportunity basher of all those who do not question, who profess to be original but are really followers, who deludedly believe in their creativity but have not done anything to show.

The author has shown me how to streamline my interactions with whites and white-wannabes - how to organize them into types, and how to minimize my annoyance.

My fault in the past was to think of white peoples' questions as genuine and I spent too much time thinking out answers to help them. Landers has helped me understand that whites' questions are really reflections of themselves and narcissitic projections about how smart they feel they are. Now I know how to flatter them and stop wasting time. They don't really want to know me, or know about the truth.

There are of course exceptional white people, and these books help you sort out which white persons are not like the others.

Really, though, there are very, very few truly special people of any race. Most people of every race and class are cookie cutter and predictable.
on February 15, 2013
Seriously, seriously funny.

I wish I could just leave it at that but I have to keep typing to hit the word minimum
on March 15, 2017
Loved it, soo on point
on November 26, 2010
I wasn't sure that there really would be enough material for a sequal to Mr. Lander's first book, but he does not disappoint. I was smiling from the first entry to the last and think this outing is better than the first. I ended up ordering a dozen for the holidays - for all my friends he so aptly pokes fun at. Well done!
on January 1, 2011
Like Lander's previous book, this is a brilliant work of sociology as well as a devastating critique of IKEA-loving, hummus-eating, Huffington Post-reading morons who can't think for themselves.I wish I had written it myself!
on December 30, 2013
Amusing catalog of white people and what they like -- some white people, htat is. In this book, "white people" are left-leaning, college educated, urban, mostly young white people. They aren't really all white, there's a scattering of Asians, African-Americans and Hispanics, and they are really more defined by education, income and place of residence than by skin color. They are the ones you would have expected at an Obama rally in 2008 (unless they are Canadian, which some are).

Some other white people, however, really don't like a lot of the stuff in question; in fact, they may actively hate it. Blue collar types, rednecks, and the like are not likely to recognize themselves in this. The book isn't as funny as I though it was at first, though the shock of self-recognition (that NPR lady from Minneapolis!) is always salutary.
on August 21, 2012
I love this book because it is so dead on accurate! I must say that although by the book's standards I am the wrong kind of white person, I found myself being described in quite a few chapters. I have sent my child forth in a Ramones t shirt(and TOMS!) picked my own strawberries, and shamelessly mocked the Ed Hardy trend while wearing my dirtyfromthelastAndrewWKshow Chuck Taylor Converse- among other things. Ouch! It you tend to find snark and satire poor bed fellows this isn't your book. If you're easily offended by other white people, this is not your book. But if you think a little fun on behalf of people- and maybe yourself- who tend to take themselves too seriously is a good thing, this IS the book for you. I've read it at least 3 times and much to the annoyance of my husband, find myself laughing out loud with every read through. And I can honestly say, I will never again pay $15 to pick my own strawberries. But the Ramones t shirt isn't going anywhere.
on April 12, 2014
This is not as good as Stuff White People LIke, but it is still worth reading. This time around the joke is more aimed at hipster behavior rather than "white people" of all ages. If he writes another book, I'd like to see him take a shot at the foodie/kosher salt/too special to eat grocery store food crowd.
on November 25, 2010
A very funny commentary on liberal white people, mostly those who live in the northeast, northwest or other liberal enclaves. I'm white but don't relate to 95 percent of the stereotypes....HOWEVER, I know many white people who are exactly like he describes which makes the book pretty funny.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2013
This hilarious sequel is every bit as enjoyable as "Stuff White People" like and you should buy them both. I've given this book as a gift several times and every recipient keeps telling me how much they love it. Every page is funny. The author is a gifted writer - every page is laugh out loud funny. I recommend this for people of all ages. I've given it to tweens, college kids, senior citizens - they all love it.