Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Whitmor Book & Magazine Organizers, Set of 5, Multicolor
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Size: Set Of 5|Color: Assorted|Change

on January 19, 2015
Despite the many negative comments, I went ahead and ordered 25 of these because of their looks. They are GORGEOUS. The colors are vibrant and the hardware adds a delightful touch of bling. Some here have complained that they are difficult to assemble, flimsy, and won't stand up on their own. My college-sophomore son assembled them while I filled them with magazines. He had all 25 assembled before I could even fill the first eight. Judging by some of the complaints here, assembly is not fool-proof. So if you are a fool, don't buy these. If you are not a fool, you should be good to go.

As for these organizers being flimsy and falling down, yes, they are light weight, and you could knock them down if you are clumsy, or a strong wind could blow them over. You shouldn't use them to hold your magazine while you are on the deck of an aircraft carrier, guiding in fighter jets. (If I were you commanding officer, I would have a discreet word with you about reading magazines on the flight deck.)

I am attaching a picture of how they look in my home. Oh, look--there's one standing up by itself!

Fold them, fill them, and shove them into the book case. They'll be great.
review image
77 comments| 208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2011
I loved the way these looked online. The colors were great for my kids and the price was right. HOWEVER, I found them to be cheap and flimsy. They are shipped flat and you have to bend the plastic to put them together. I can't even get them to stand up on their own, much less with something in them. I kept thinking that maybe I wan't folding them right or that I was missing something but sadly, no. They are a complete waste of money and I will be shopping for something more substantial.
33 comments| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2011
I had purchased these magazine files, as well as the matching document & CD boxes, to organize my homeschooling materials. Yes, they are shipped flat and require bending as per the instructions. I bent the first one into shape, and it stood just fine on its own. It is a thin plastic so of course it doesn't have the same stiffness as more expensive magazine files. However, I filled it with teacher's manuals and a thick office supple catalog and it held them just fine. It continued to stand fine and even appeared "stiffer" looking with all the manuals in it. I believe they will adequately do the job I need them to.

I like the color- fun, bright, and it makes it easy to "color code" my kids for fast/easy organization!

I would not recommend allowing young children to handle them.
22 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2013
I ordered these magazine holders and document boxes from Amazon.
I actually find them to be just what I thought they would be.
I like them a lot.
After reading all the many negative reviews, I almost didn't order them, but I thought...something is wrong here. Common sense (and experience) told me that Amazon would not continue to sell a product that is as faulty as this one is reported to be.
I think many customers are making "mistakes" in the assembly of these items.
Instructions are printed on the inside of the card board package header.
However, the print is so faint and so tiny, I could not read it. With some practice I learned a quick and easy way to assemble the lids, boxes and holders.
THE BOXES AND LIDS..
1) Crease every single fold line on the both the boxes and the lids.
Fold them backward, then forward, pressing the fold with your hands, each way.
2) For the bottom of the box, fold the "slot" portion inward a bit, then raise both
a side panel and the front panel...
3) Slide the "wide tab" portion of the front panel into the "slot" portion of the
side panel, firmly. IMPORTANT!...PUSH UNTIL IT CLICKS. ( Do all 4 corners )
3) Now "super pinch" each of the 4 corners to square up the box.

For the lids...
1) Make sure to raise the "half moon" tab a bit with your finger before starting.
This makes it more flexible. Be careful..tab is easy to tear out if over lifted.
2) Place the lid flat on the table in front of you..
3) Fold the front panel up...you will be looking at a small square hole.
4) Fold the side panel up and make the "half moon" tab "catch" on (or slide over)
the edge of the square hole that is closest to the corner.. (Not easy)
When this is done, push the rest of the tab thru the square hole. Do all
4 corners.
6) If you have done it correctly, the corners will be "locked" and you will see a
small oval on each side of the front and rear panels of the lid.

THE MAGAZINE HOLDERS
1) Crease all fold lines.
2) Fold the bottom panel that has the TWO cut-outs inward.
3) Fold each short end panel inward and catch their tabs on the previous panel.
4) Fold the final panel inward, interlocking it, so "all" the tab parts are INSIDE
the holder. (You can use one hand inside the holder to guide the final piece
into place)
5) If you have done this correctly, the outside bottom of the holder will have the
appearance of a triangle at each end, with a smoothe straight seam between them.
It WILL stand alone..it Will stay together!
I hope you find this instruction helpful.
22 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2012
I bought 2 sets of 5 of these magazine files. They are well-constructed and easy to assemble--takes about a minute each. They are not much more expensive than cardboard ones, but the heavy-duty, flexible vinyl plastic feels strong and will probably last forever. One reviewer complained that these don't stand up on their own. Well, they might blow over in a strong breeze, but as long as you're planning to put something in them, they are fine. I'm using mine for catalogs, magazines, software manuals, small phone books, ring binders, etc. You can spend a bit less and get various cardboard styles, but they won't be as durable as these. You can spend a lot more and get heavier stiff plastic ones. But with this design, I think I have the best of both worlds--cheap, strong, durable, and great colors, too. I have no complaints about them at all and give 5 stars.
on October 16, 2015
See photo! You have to assemble these yourself and once assembled they are all warped and leaving in different directions. None of them sit upright without some part of them bent or leaning or warped. Very disappointed. The colors are bright but not as vivid as in the stock photos.
My photo is very accurate on color and shaped after assembly. It's not a trick of the eye or camera, the are really that warped. They're just make from cheap plastic.
on December 10, 2015
Got these for my kids to put their school books in. I homeschool 3 of my children. With 5 days a week use, the cardboard ikea ones were wearing out after 1.5 years. I love the bright colors and sturdy plastic on these. They were quick to assemble. Also like the label for each child's name. Thinking about purchasing another set for my teacher manuals!

Update: I ordered a 10 pack for my teacher manuals and the children's other books. These have not disappointed us! The bookshelves look colorful and organized, and I don't expect them to wear out anytime soon.
review image review image
on October 22, 2012
I bought these for the classroom and they literally needed duct tape to try holding them together, and that didn't even help. I ended up throwing them away. There was no way they can stand up on their own. Save your money. I'd give them zero stars if it was possible.
on May 31, 2012
I order all the time from Amazon and was very disappointed in this item. They are flimsy, do not hold together when you put them together and even after the magazines are in it, it does not hold up. Mine keep falling over even when it is full. I would not recommend this for anyone for any reason.
on February 26, 2016
I bought 4 sets to organize my test kit protocols! They work great when they have a little weight in them. I have no problems with them tipping over.