Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Who Do You Think You Are?: Season 1
Format: DVD|Change

on January 11, 2013
I am an amateur genealogist and I do love the UK series because of the stories that unfold and the tips on genealogy work. A USA version is a great idea, I mean the format is already a proven success in the UK so it must be a similarly good show for a USA version right? WRONG. There are several issues in the USA production that make this version almost unbearable to watch. This DVD has been taken straight (unedited) from the TV screenings, In a really frustrating trend that seems to be the norm in the USA producers feel that the viewers, having sat through a commercial break, have forgotten what they saw before the break and need to re-watch half of what they just saw. Personally I don't think americans have such a short attention span but most americans I know are academically oriented so maybe the general population does forget what they just watched before a commercial break. So there may be a reason for the constant re-visitations when shown on TV, but on a DVD without commercials? It just gets plain frustrating and almost unwatchable. Furthermore, the constant re-hashing of already seen footage means that a 45 minute show in reality only has about 30 minutes of original footage. Not good value for viewing or purchasing! Another annoying habit is to indirectly tell the viewers what is coming after the commercial break but try and make it sound like a mystery. Example.. in one episode the narrator tells the viewers the star will head to the fields of France in search of a missing relative. What will she discover? Well duh, obviously the relative was killed in WW1 so where's the mystery? In fact, why bother watching it when you know what she will discover.
So in summary, it gets 2 stars for the few limited genealogical tips it presents but otherwise this show is poorly presented, low on original content and very frustrating to watch if you have any sort of half-decent memory.
26 helpful votes
27 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on January 15, 2012
I am an amateur genealogist so this was a natural attraction for me. I had seen some of the original version - British stars and their adventures into their histories - and was delighted to find out that Lisa Kudrow was producing an American Version!

All of the stars who participated find surprising and sometimes shocking discoveries in their families past. Not a surprise given the tumultuous history of our young nation... from WITCH BURNINGS to SEGREGATION and ROYALTY... no one's historical discoveries can be called boring. It is obvious that they put a lot of research hours into the production of this show but the most delightful part is that the stars who are participating are as engaged as you are in their discoveries... there is a little acting but that is probably natural, given the personalities participating. But it is obvious that they are so engaged in their discoveries set before them that their reactions are mostly natural and true.

A fun ride that makes you discover what you might find in your own histories. I have had a blast discovering some of my ancestors' "antics" as well as their trials.

Most recommended! Now go watch SEASON 2 and the British series!!!
on February 14, 2015
Heart warming to see the change in a person once they realize where they come from..who their families are and why they did the things they did...........You learn so much about history as you travel back in time....recommend these shows on "Who do you Think you are?"
on July 11, 2016
My only complaint is that I can only get Seasons 1 & 2. I wasn't really into genealogy until I watched this show! Now, I am hooked!
on November 15, 2013
I have fallen in lover with this product during season 4. Unfortunately, I missed seasons 1-3. This helps to fill the gap. Well done program that is a bit light on the technical content but nevertheless and interesting program to watch.
on September 22, 2011
First off...I love Sarah Jessica Parker. I am a big Carrie Bradshaw fan so seeing her in a more personal setting was fascinating.

That aside, the show was incredibly interesting and an emotional journey. I don't want to spoil anything, but the Salem Witch Trials play a part in SJP's history.

I will definitely be watching more episodes!
on March 4, 2012
I LIKE ANCESTOR SHOWS AND THIS IS NOT EXCEPTION, ALL OF THEM HAVE BEEN INTERESTING, ITS JUST I WISHED
IT WAS AS EASY TO FIND MY ANCESTORS AS IT WAS FOR THESE CELEBERTIES. I TRY BUT JUST DO NOT GET THE WORDS
RIGHT, AND WHEN YOU WRITE ANCESTOR A LETTER THEY DO NOT RESPONE. BUT I STILL LIKE TO WATCH THE SHOW
on September 6, 2012
I really like Matthew Broderick as an actor. He has a very sensitive and gracious style. I was intrigued to know his background. I liked this episode but I would have loved to know his liniage. It was still interesting to know about his family. The video was like watching tv. It was good!
on July 8, 2015
I love these episodes and you get rid of the commercials so it carries you through to the end.
on June 15, 2014
Excellent Quality on these Videos. I absolutely love the stories that are being told and shared. Family History is really important, and I feel these stories share that.