Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 2, 2017
THIS IS AN ABRIDGED VERSION, WHICH IS NOT MENTIONED HERE ON AMAZON. DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK. Whoever put this abridged version online wants to make money off poor Ernest Hemingway. Probably, the book is still in copyright but for some reason it is lawful to create an abridged version.
THIS IS DISGUSTING.
AMAZON, why don't you pay attention to this kind of thing???
HOW MANY OTHER CLASSICS HAVE BEEN STOLEN THIS WAY??
33 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 28, 2017
I am talking about kindle version. this book is full of typos. I told amazon to revise this book but it is still same.

Do not buy this book, it is worthless. Prabhat prakashan and amazon are kidding us.
11 comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 16, 2016
For me this was a re-read after a span of 40+ years. I was dumbfounded by my most recent impressions and narrative images. I've developed as a reader, certainly, but this time around I was captured by the drama, the characterizations, the depth of understanding of every aspect of the personal and political narrative. Plus, the subtle shift of language, Spanish to English and the distinction of the thinking and expression of the different characters. And the contemporary nature of terrorism and political applications to our 'world,' these "Bells" continue to toll for everyone. Not forgetting the drama, the timeline of several plot developments. I was captured. I was armed. And I was in love, too.
on August 9, 2014
You know when you pick up a Hemingway book that it is going to end in tragedy, but I still found myself wondering and hoping that this one might end differently. Hemingway was a reporter in Spain during that country's civil war (1936-39), so he knows firsthand about what he is writing - not merely the landscape and city names, but the mindset of the people, the devastation wrought by the war, the inhumanity of each side toward the other, and all the small human tragedies interwoven with the national tragedy. The dialogue might seem strange to someone who doesn't know Spanish; all the dialogue is written as if it were directly translated from Spanish, including the formal addresses "thee" and "thou," and things like that. If you know Spanish it won't bother you; if you don't know Spanish, the dialogue (although not the narration) reads a bit like Shakespeare, and maybe even makes this book feel a little more classy than his other writing. At the end of the day, I love Hemingway, and he is a legend for a reason. Buy this book.
on August 1, 2016
This is perhaps my favorite of Hemingway's major novels. I just re-read it. I revere it now for very different reasons than when I read it as a teenager, but I loved the world Hemingway created in it, and the ideas it embodies. He was a consummately romantic author. It's nice every once in a while to return to a simpler time and simpler world. However, for many this is probably not an easy read.
on February 16, 2015
I was supposed to read this book in high school, but skimmed over it instead of reading it. I decided to go back and read it and now I understand why I skimmed. The story was good, but I don't know why he is considered one of the great authors of our time. His writing, in my opinion, is boring and confusing. I did not care for his grammar or run-on sentences. I found it difficult to follow his use of the word "obscenity" in place of the actual word. I finally caught on half way through a long paragraph. He also switches from using "thee" and "thou" to "you" and "your." It was just confusing to follow. Other than that, the story was good, though his descriptions are tedious. He is a long-winded writer.
on March 26, 2015
Overall it was as good as I thought it would be, but in some ways I was surprised how much it underwhelmed me. For instance, I found myself bored again and again with the back-story. It didn't seem to move the story along and its only purpose seemed to be increasing the page count. I also found the dialogue between Robert and Maria to be very strange at times. Normal people wouldn't be saying these things. I think I'll read The Old Man and the Sea after I finish The Good Soldier (which is good so far, but different) and I'll probably like Old Man more than this one.
on November 13, 2013
This story is a classic. It details events that occurred during the Spanish civil war of the late 1930s when fascism was on the rise in Western Europe.
In 1944, in my adolescent romanticism, I had become immutably bonded to the characters and Ingrid Bergman after seeing the movie that had just come out.
Now, 70 years later and reading the details of the love affair, I was to discover that I understood practically nothing of the historical significance in which the story takes place. The atmosphere of the guerrilla cave and escapades left a deep impression on me that was never to be forgotten.
Should you read this novel, I might suggest that seeing the movie first might place the characters most strongly in their rightful desperate and fateful surroundings as so skillfully described by the author.
on October 17, 2014
This story takes place during the Spanish Civil War and is about an American Robert Jordan who joins the International Brigades. He is on assignment to blow up a bridge. The story is largely about Jordan and those he recruits to help him. The interaction between the characters is earthy and colorful. The author does an exceptional job at bringing them to life figuratively speaking. He paints a believable picture of their behavior, suspicions, doubts, beliefs, love and trust and difficulties. What happens in a few days feels like a year's worth of experiences. This reading is for adults.
on September 13, 2016
The author Ernest Hemingway has been my best author ever but this story had me quite confused although I know beforehand that that was his style of writing but personally I just kept reading just to finish the book. I really can't remember the ending of the book. The good part is he has so many other good books to read so I'll pass this one as a fail in his part.