Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 83 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 88 reviews
on June 30, 2014
My memories of Moms Mabley go back to my childhood in the 1960s, when my mother would call us in whenever a Black performer was appearing on network television (back in the 60s, that was an EVENT). I have been a Moms Mabley fan my whole life. I eagerly awaited "Whoopi Goldberg Presents" and when it arrived, I enjoyed it quite a lot. My quibbles with it are few and minor, but quibbles I have: as the title suggests, there's nearly as much Whoopi here as there is Moms; the vintage (1940s-50s) footage leaves me begging for more - and then doesn't give it to me; and I wearied of watching words dance across the screen as Mabley album clips played - seriously, kids, this ain't radio; and Moms did a LOT of Ed Sullivan Shows.

Still, the film is very entertaining (I laughed, a lot) and hugely informative: am I the only person who didn't know that off-stage, Moms was a men's-suit-wearing butch lesbian, known to friendly acquaintances as "Mr. Moms"? Moms Mabley's story is an important chapter in the history of show business, Black show business, and (Who knew?) gay show business. It's hardly perfect, but if "Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley" turns out to be the definitive film tribute to Moms; well, the old gal could do worse.
on June 21, 2014
This was a brief but important history of women's entertainment history. It showed the affect her career had in the foundation of women in comedy. She reinforced the idea that you did not have to be a Dorothy Dandridge or Marilyn Monroe to entertain. Her costume was a reflection of how women could laugh at themselves and yet be empowered by her words while still laughing their heads off. If you didn't know Mom's you should get to know her and this DVD will give you that privilege.
on January 28, 2014
A revered and cherished icon of our past. Hopefully we won't forget or give honor to those who shoulders our present artist stand on.
on March 7, 2015
Very informative and left me wondering a lot about Moms Mabley's life. I very glad I bought it. It made me really think about just how rough was Moms Mabley' s life as a child. If you want a good show to watch with laughs, sadness and to learn this one is the best.
on May 23, 2017
The best. I totally recommend. Mom's was one of a kind.
on March 20, 2017
Very news worthy,
on June 23, 2014
Well researched and presented. Historical representation of a difficult era for Blacks. Enlightening. Great resource for Humanities class, especially Black humanities.
on June 9, 2014
My mother was a friend of Moms so I do know something about her. My first time seeing her was at the Howard Theatre in Washington, D.C. when I was 11 years old which created quite a stir with my mother trying to keep her hands over my ears. I love the DVD and wish there were many more of her. I recommend the DVD to all who love Moms.
on July 15, 2017
Wonderful to see all the great footage of such a gifted performer. <3
on May 27, 2015
Whoopi did get a good job detailing and highlighting the life of Mom's Mabley. I learned a lot of things that I didn't know about her. She was truly a talented and special lady. I enjoyed watching it with friends and we laughed throughout it.