Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:$5.00+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 310 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 892 reviews
VINE VOICEon May 23, 2013
This 1971 release sounds a lot different than Tommy (1969) and indicates how much the group had developed in only a few short years. There is certainly no shortage of popular songs on this album and the track listing reads like a greatest hits list. Although culled from a larger project that was shelved (Lifehouse), there is continuity to the collection of songs on Who's Next, which is a personal favorite.

The album was recorded in fits and starts (the process is nicely detailed in the liner notes) with the end product being a definitive album by the group. Come to think of it, along with Tommy and Quadrophenia (1973), Who's Next defines the Who's mature sound: a mixture of hard rock, a smidge of progressive, and dynamics that range from soft to loud.

I love the use of synthesizers on the album (mostly VCS3 and ARP 2500) and electronic processing, which lends the music a fairly distinctive sound. On the downside, I am not a fan of the (lyrically) silly tune My Wife (John Entwistle), which is really at odds with the remainder of the material. This same sort of thing drove me crazy with ELP.

The production quality is (was) outstanding and the remastered CD does not fiddle with the original sound too much (at least based upon my distant memories of the LP). The sound of the drums is best described as thunderous, and there is excellent separation of individual instruments. The liner notes are very detailed and include an essay by Pete Townshend and some notes on the album by a rock critic. The extra tracks are pretty cool and I have to say they are actually of interest.

All in all, this may very well be the Who's finest moment. A classic by any measure, it is highly recommended along with Tommy and Quadrophenia. These three albums find the group at a creative peak.
on February 17, 2017
I thought my Decca pressing of this greta album was a bit muddy and lacked some of the snap I recall in the original vinyl recording, so I invested in this "newly remastered" version. It has none of the warm and balls of my Decca print. It's very thin sounding and you really notice it's failures when it's cranked a bit and (after all) it's The Who! So, this is not nearly as good sounding as the recent remasters of Pink Floyd or Zeppelin. The label is "Track Record" with only a small Geffen insignia which leads me to believe this was farmed out to a second rate mastering house. Bummer...
on December 17, 2011
The Who / Who's next (1995, 16 track edition): This is a GREAT album. Would the "Lifehouse" project been better if they had finished it properly? Who knows? Who cares? "Who's next" is an amazing album as it is, for what it is. Some of the best tracks in Rock history come from THIS album. This album is a Masterpiece. This album deserves a Sixth Star. Now if Pete really wants us to hear his Lifehouse project as he intended it to be, he can re-release that multi-CD set from a few years ago, and price it so that we can actually hear it (I know of no one who has heard that old overpriced release - which is probably a real shame). However, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Various CD editions of "Who's next": I prefer this 16 track CD much better than the 2 disc, live included stuff. However, you may like the 2 CD set, so check it out. There comes a time when there are so many versions that you just have to see what looks most interesting to you and get it. Getting this album, in whatever release, is a real treat.

Update: May 2013
OK, I confess, I broke down (a few years later now) and bought the 2 disk Deluxe Edition as well. I just had to hear Disk Two which has the concert that was intended to be part of the LIFEHOUSE project. It is a good concert although (as others have said) The Who fan will have most of these songs in other concert CDs. However, for those still curious about the LIFEHOUSE project, this is a major piece of that history. Disk One, of course, has the original Who's Next album and it sounds very good. The extras are studio versions of leftover LIFEHOUSE tunes, which are also good. Again, if you don't own any version of Who's Next, there are several options - so take your time and find the one that suits your needs best (but you really ought to own at least A version of this great album).
I'll be up front with everybody here and tell you that I'm not a huge fan of The Who in general, but I am absolutely into this CD. It's got all my Who favorites on it including the classic "Won't Get Fooled Again" which is probably my favorite FM Rock hit from the 1970's.

Add to this Baba O'Riley, Bargain (a great love song if you really liten to it), Behind Blue Eyes, and Going Mobile, and you've got just about all great Who songs that were played so much by the FM Rock stations back in the 1970's. I really loved this stuff, and now this great album has been remasters and I'm listening to it on Sennheiser headphones and I'm hearing instrumental pieces I've never heard before. So in a way I'm hearing it for the first time.
VINE VOICEon August 1, 2006
Why is The Who's 'Who's Next' one of the most perennially played CD selections on FM radio? Surely it has retained the richness of sound that hasn't dated the music for over thirty years. With intricate music, spare, yet memorable lyrics, and powerful vocals and guitars, it has all the elements of a worthy classic rock album. 'Who's Next' may or may not be a concept album, but it doesn't really meander ever really. It seems to make a post-sixties statement about the meaning of power and what's essential in life itself. They always challenged the ordinary, so it's no surprise that they deflate the sixties as well. Even the shimmering synthesizers overthrow the sixties decade with its rich, rippling sound. It never seems at all self-consious, either, probably because their delivery is so confident.

The anthems are powerful. "Baba O Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again," the albums opening and closing songs, respectively, are raw with Roger Daltry's primal vocals, accompanied by skillful guitars and mesmerizing synthesizers. All of the songs are uniquely intricate. "Baba," contains a very able and frenzied violin/fiddle delivery that gives the song considerable depth. "Going Mobile" is environmentally friendly (with the memorable "hippie gypsy" line) in a way that is seldom dated from this period. Accompanied by intricate guitar, it has the fluidness to be a folk-rock classic.

If the eloquence of word and sound weren't enough already, then "The Song Is Over" has to be simply one of the most exquisite rock songs ever created. Up there with The Kinks' "Waterloo Sunset," "The Song Is Over" is haunting lyrically and transcending for Daltry's echoing vocals and the shimmering interplay of piano, synthesizer, and Keith Moon's able drumming.

The allegedly lesser songs are great, too. "Bargain" is a hefty piece of hard rock that delivers eloquent and spare statements about the essence of love. "Getting in Tune" is lesser than most of the rest, but what a song! It is an anthem that gives heft to the remainder of the anthems, but contains great one liners about saying something as a rock band. (Notably, they swagger in confidence more than, say, the Moody Blues' "Singer in a Rock and Roll Band".) Then, Entwistle's "My Wife" seems autobiographical and weighty with its theme of jealousy written convincingly like a first-person short story. Pete Townsend, the helmsman, though is certainly more able with his own rendering of a first-person short story, "Behind Blue Eyes". It is pungent enough and sung with vengeance by Daltry. It is substantial, but it could be parordied, somewhat. (An outlaw who begs for a blanket?) The only other song is "Love Aint' for Keeping". It isn't significant, except that its modestness helps frame the rest of the album. It also prevents too much overdrive.

'Who's Next' deserves to be a major rock classic because the lyrics, delivery, and skillful musicianship are stunning and almost matchless after thirty-five years. The best moments from the CD still raise hairs on the back of the neck. It has to be one of the ten best rock albums of all time.
44 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2015
Those of you who have read my reviews, know by now that I am really into 60's British Rock. I always have and always will make British Rock my favourite of all rock genres. The Who are certainly no exception. I have their first 3 albums in either deluxe or expanded editions from Japan. Anyway, I recently purchased a German version through a seller on Amazon at a great price. I really bought this cd because I purchased the original lp for one reason-MY WIFE! Oh, Yes I really love the rest of the album as well, but that song is truly the bomb.Also, there are songs like Baba O"Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again, Bargain and Going Mobile. The entire album is one big BLAST! So, if you love The Who as I do, get this one if you don't already own it.
on July 16, 2016
I hadn't listened to The Who in many years and feeling nostalgic for the 70s I purchased this CD. This is a perfect Rock and Roll CD. My favorite track was this Song is Over sung by Pete Townsend it moved me as I remembered my 70s youth of coming of age and discovery as a young girl who had a love affair with rock and roll.
on December 9, 2015
This has to be The Who at their best. What I did not count on were the bonus tracks on the CD. Sometimes, it seems, bonus tracks are an afterthought and not all that good. That cannot be said for this CD. There is a natural flow to this album, from the original material to the bonus tracks. I have this on LP from when I was a kid in the 80's and felt it was time to get it on CD. I am glad I did.
on August 12, 2016
The ultimate rock album that should be in every Boomer's collection! I bought the vinyl when I was a freshman in college, wore it out, bought the CD and then gave it to my son so he would know what great music sounds like. Rock legends making their best music. If you buy only one Who collection, but this one!
on April 13, 2014
How many iconic songs can a single LP hold? I think the Who answered it with this release. Getting In Tune, Won't Get Fooled Again, Behind Blue eyes, Baba O'Reilly I mean Come ON, this sucker's just packed with Pete Townshend at his best and the band stepping up on every tune. With this CD release, the one omission (Pure and Easy) that would have made this killer collection even better is here. The other extras are actually pretty good, but who needs alternate takes of songs that sound perfect already. I love the live stuff, maybe they should have included the live Baba O'Reilly from \The Kids Are Alright soundtrack ( A killer) but all in all this is a great CD!! You really NEED it! Trust me.