Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 43 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 61 reviews
on December 31, 2013
I really enjoy this book! The most noteworthy thing is the illustrations, Jan Brett is a master. They're just beautiful and so detailed. The story is nice as well. It doesn't necessarily flow perfectly and isn't completely logical. These are things that usually bug me, but I'm okay with it, in part because the story is so charming overall and in part because I know it's based on an old folktale and folktales don't always make perfect sense. I also agree that the name of the book combined with the cover illustration are misleading in regards to what the story is actually about.

To those who are a bit worried the book could be too scary for kids since it involves trolls breaking into a house, the trolls don't hurt anyone or destroy the house. They just gobble up the Christmas feast.

Spoiler alert- does anyone understand why the father, who is supposed to be keeping his eyes open for trolls, turns around and crawls into a little cave in one of the illustrations, an action that results in the trolls getting into the house? My husband and I can't figure that one out!
on May 14, 2017
Love Jan Brett and her illustrations. Great Christmas story.
on December 31, 2016
Mom thought it was weird, but daughter (who tends to scare easily) just said it was "funny" and that we should give it "definitely five stars." She thought it was funny that the bad trolls got scared away, that they bounced off the walls and windows, and that the littlest troll thought that the polar bear was a kitty.
on August 21, 2017
Great Christmas gifts
on April 14, 2017
perfect
on December 3, 2011
I taught Pre K and Kindergarten in a public school for 34 years. This book was among my students' favorites. There was enough action and drama to capture the attention of the most street-wise boys. The story was fast-paced and the kids didn't know what might happen next. Kids who would never dream of misbehaving love to hear about "bad characters"! I just bought this book for my four-year-old grandson who adores super hero stories, because I just know he'll love those trolls. It will present a good opportunity to discuss kind treatment of pets and good manners.
on January 22, 2017
Jan Brett illustrates children's books like no other! The intricate details in the pictures will be fun for little ones to see, even before they can read. I highly recommend this book.
on December 12, 2015
I love the story it is sweet and charming. I first got it when I was little and recently replaced it. I am glad I did, and I plan on keeping it till I can read it to my kids someday. For now I take it to the day care where I work and read it to them and they love it.
on January 28, 2017
Marked new. Paid for a new item. Received a book with no dust jacket that had a broken spine and dents all over it. Product was used. Very upset.
on February 14, 2013
Hilarious story of a group of marauding trolls who come up against a boy and his pet polar bear. The trolls, who raid an arctic holiday feast each year, find out they are no match for the boy's "Kitty". Of course Jan Brett, once again, out does herself, in both illustrations and a story-feast. Good read-aloud for K-1, and readable for second & third graders.