Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 16, 2016
I think this is a great collection of essays that really helped me understand the "fem" side of gay culture. In a community that has somewhat been taken over by the mainstream world, this book allowed me to reconnect with the deeper issues that still exist below the surface.
on August 3, 2012
I loved this book because it showed a broad spectrum of contemporary LGBTQ identities. The book deals with gender, race, globalization, and technology. You also have first hand accounts on people's personal experiences with being homosexual/transexual. The stories are short enough to keep you interested and each story can be read independently. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to gain a broader perspective of LGBTQ issues today
on August 31, 2012
For historians or professors of American sexuality, this book offers several pieces that would resonate with technologically-obsessed students today. Perhaps it lacks some intellectual depth and hard analysis, but it offers a wide array of perspectives about queer-on-queer interactions that are very much "of this moment." In that respect, you could pick it up and read it within a sitting.
on March 1, 2013
This book is composed of many short stories that illustrates the lives of gay, lesbian, and trans people. It highlights many topics in the gay community, including advocating, sex slavery, and transwomanhood. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in getting it.
on October 31, 2012
Excellent selection for clinicians wanting an inside view of gender identity within the LGBT community. The editor/author did a great job assisting his contributors to clearly convey the discrimination within the gay community. Eye opening!
on November 26, 2012
I liked most of the stories, but some were somewhat too sexually out into to left field. However, for the most part I enjoyed the deepness of the stories and their truthfulness.
on September 19, 2015
I came here after following a link posted by the author on a social media site. I am now perplexed as to why the writer goes on tangents about being a Muslim in America but doesn't use his Muslim name. If he wants to stand up for Muslims why hide his own origin? Being a gay Muslim myself, I find the way Mattilda (Ali Rachid Abbas) conducts himself publicly very appalling. Why can't an opposing opinion be allowed without name-calling? Without people being called racist, bigoted, intolerant? Knowing how a person actually behaves versus how he preaches lends for an interesting point of view. Despite that, I decided to read and keep an open mind. I dug in for 2 reasons. First, to see if it really represents LGBT well and second so I can see what Mattilda is actually dealing with versus what he claims he deals with.
This is actually a collection of 31 essays (3-8 pages each). Some were great, but most were boring, lacked a point, and were slow reads. I felt like my brain was being dragged through mud. I struggled to finish it. I didn't feel any inspiration. I was disappointed that it wasn't as radical as I hoped. It feels like some of the essays are written by the same person. I understand it gets edited by the same individual but that shouldn't take away from the authors stories. I would not promote this book. There are better reads out there.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on March 12, 2014
I learned SO MUCH from this book! It's crazy how people across the world go through the exact same things you do or they think the exact same way that you do. This book teaches you so much about the gay community and how it affects everyone around it or in the community; how even though you are apart of your own community, you can still feel totally disconnected from everyone else who is just like you.
on May 28, 2013
Loved, Loved this book, loved all of the stories, studies, thoughts and anecdotes, I remember reading this book and laughing out loud because of the humor and candor in some places, who highly recommend to anyone
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on October 2, 2013
It's an amazing collection of "marginalized sexual beings" points of view, mind-blowing, provocative and all of them written with the warmth of a conversation rather than with the coldness of academical articles.