Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Discover it $5 Albums Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Dressmaker Dressmaker Dressmaker  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition BonIver Shop Now STEM

Why are Blu-Ray movies suddenly so expensive?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 3, 2011 6:00:08 PM PDT
JWH says:
A few months ago a new Blu-Ray movie was less than $20, now the price seems to be hovering near $25, what happened?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 10:20:34 PM PDT
J. Bartula says:
I'm wondering if it is due to either the increasing popularity over DVD (hence no need to attract new people with lower pricing) or more people are simply staying home and studios are trying to recoup their costs.

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 12:18:55 AM PDT
K. Jernigan says:
Blu-Ray movies use to be $40.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2011 10:29:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2011 10:35:55 AM PDT
Most blu-ray new releases now include a DVD and digital copy, so the movie studios think consumers see added value and that they will pay $24.99 for a new release. It's just a way for the movie studios to make higher margins on new releases since the optical disc market has been shrinking for a few years and continues to shrink with no end in sight.

Personally, I think it's a stupid move on the studios part. Consumers aren't EVER going to collect discs like they were when DVD purchasing peaked in 2006. There's too much competition now days with redbox rentals, netflix, on demand rentals, and piracy. Studios need to do something about the large difference in price between buying a movie and renting a movie. Otherwise, the market will continue to move in favor of cheap rentals.

If you think the price is too high at $25, but can't wait to see it, just rent it from redbox for $1 and then buy the blu-ray when the price goes down. The X-Men First Class blu-ray will be $15 or less a few months after it's release - count on it!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011 11:57:42 AM PDT
J. Sheer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011 11:59:02 AM PDT
J. Sheer says:
Disney Movies with Coupon releases that a re blu ray are less than $14.99 so there getting it right.... 3D too! i got tangled 4 disc set for $14.99 back in march

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2011 3:47:39 PM PDT
Yeah, Disney is cool about the coupons. I only paid $15 for The Incredibles blu-ray set. But some blu-rays are $24.99 for the first few weeks they are out, combined with the 28 day window where you can't rent the movie through netflix or redbox... this is how the studios try to force the consumers that "must have it" the first few weeks of release to spend more money. I think it's a dumb move cuz most people can wait and other people I know pirate the movie online if they can't get it through netflix or redbox out of spite.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 10:17:45 PM PDT
P. R. Blay says:
Sale price for X-Men just went up $3.00

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 7:46:50 AM PDT
Ryan Renneke says:
I never use the digital copy but am forced to buy it AND the stupid things expire!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 2:33:56 PM PDT
PromoCop says:
So, if you never use them why do you care if they expire?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 6:47:34 AM PDT
I should have said rarely use...but I care because if I OWN something I don't want to have to worry about an expiration.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 6:36:07 PM PDT
J. Sheer says:
they dont i just redeemed dcark knight in june and it expired december 2009. it depends what version of itunes you have.....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 6:36:46 PM PDT
J. Sheer says:
you mean went down it used to be $27.99 now its $24.99

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 2:24:10 PM PDT
JT23 says:
My husband still gets Blu @ or below $9.99, he just waits for deals on them or by buying them used, he has 400+ movies....rising costs for retailers mean higher costs for the consumer :(

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 12:49:09 PM PDT
P. R. Blay says:
It was $24.99 then it went "up" $3.00 to $27.99 and now it went back to $24.99

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 4:20:36 PM PDT
Let me explain to you how this works: you see, the corporations finance Team America, and then Team America goes out... and the corporations sit there in their... in their corporation buildings, and... and, and see, they're all corporation-y... and they make money.

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 1:50:20 AM PDT
Deemon says:
New release Blu Rays are costing up to $38 NZ & $48 NZ Blu Ray 3D versions... We are ROYALLY getting ripped off here in New Zealand... Luckily 'some' Blu Rays are region free, so we can get them from the U.S for less. If the prices continue to rise, I'm sure illegal downloading will increase along with it.

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 12:31:39 PM PDT
Not New Here says:
Supply and demand. It,s just a matter of time before you won't be able to find a DVD.

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 9:02:50 PM PDT
M. Palacios says:
$27.99? Good thing I ordered this when it was only at $24.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2011 3:10:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2011 3:12:20 AM PDT
Sloopydrew says:
"But some blu-rays are $24.99 for the first few weeks they are out, combined with the 28 day window where you can't rent the movie through netflix or redbox"

You do realize you answered the question asked in this thread when you mentioned the 28 day window, right? The studios denied this at the time, but many people predicted the 28 day illegal monopoly window against rentals would lead to price increases of (wait for it) $5.00 to $10.00 per disc. The reason discs were much cheaper PRIOR to the 28 day illegal monopoly window is they were doing anything they could to get people to buy the disc instead of renting it from Netflix, Blockbuster or Netflix.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 9:03:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2011 9:07:20 PM PDT
Ho Thinh says:
This is expensive really. With no combo discs whatsoever.

Posted on May 16, 2013 8:26:36 AM PDT
I've noticed this trend as well. Over the past year or so, prices for blu rays have crept up several dollars. It used to be that you could get them (if you knew where to go) for the same price as a dvd and sometimes even less. I remember when the initial price of a blu ray was $19.95, but now it's usually around $25 or $28 and that's just for the bare bones version. You usually have to shell out over 30 bucks for a version that has an extra disc of special features and comes with a digital copy or a code for Ultraviolet (and that, in itself, is more like punishment than a bonus, considering how lame ultraviolet is).

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 7:17:48 PM PST
I don't understand or appreciate why Blu-rays need to come in a combo version. I say market the discs and ultraviolet individually and let the consumer choose. Why do I need to buy into a DVD and Ultraviolet version as well when all I want is the Blu-ray? I've decided to buy digital movies online and skip the high prices. Blu-ray combos are between the $30 - $40 which is absurd. One movie?

Posted on May 26, 2014 3:16:21 PM PDT
007 says:
Can someone PLEASE tell me why some blu rays of new movies are 30$ and beyond on Amazon. I went to buy Iron Man 2 and Cap America on Blu Ray and the prices are absurd! I know they can't be rare so what is the deal??? Will they go down eventually?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Aug 3, 2011
Latest post:  May 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

This discussion is about