Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno_dm3

• Why?
  • Customer Reviews

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10 reviews
on February 5, 2017
I love this story so much and could swear the original had no text. This edition has added text which takes away from the beauty of the original book. I was very disappointed to discover this and am still looking for an original edition.
on March 8, 2014
The power of this wordless book is incredible. The illustrations are interesting to look at, vivid in imagery, and highly useful across all generations. As an educator, I use this book with my middle schoolers for many reasons. We look at it when groups of children do not get along and goad each other into drama. We look at it when we read about the Cold War. We look at it when we talk about current events (ethnic cleansing, civil war, political altercations that may or may not escalate). This week we talked about why the Ukraine and Crimea are in the news, what that has meant in the past, and speculated on what it could mean in the future. And I'm a language arts teacher! We talk about elements of fiction as well and use post-it notes to write about setting, characterization, rising action, falling action, resolution (none in this book, which is the point). Whoever owns the rights to this book, I beg you! PLEASE reprint it. Educators need to be able to afford these books. At a time when we are asked to teach across disciplines and create lessons that have authentic applications to the real world, this book is more important than it ever was. And for those people reading this review who can afford the prices being asked, please take a look at the book and see its value. Anyone who reads its message can see how important it is.
on February 12, 2017
This is not the original version. It contains words, which ruins the entire point of the book.
on August 21, 2008
Though the lovely and whimsical quality of the illustrations in this book would certainly appeal to children as well as many an adult, the thought-provoking content makes it most suitable as a prompt for discussion. Back in the day before I retired from teaching I would have certainly used this book as a discussion starter in any of my middle school history classes, as it makes graphically clear how the us-them mentality leads to hostility. I could even see it used as an allegory for schoolyard brawls!

Along with Eve Bunting's Terrible Things, this book shows how "children's" literature can cross genre barriers.
 Terrible Things: An Allegory of the Holocaust
on June 21, 2016
Great book for big and little kids! Text would lessen its impact.
on April 6, 2010
I have used this book with my year 1 class. It provided an interesting discussion in a P4C class. Children with reading issues benefited greatly from the accessibility of a book with absolutely no words. The pictures have a real depth to them which meant that we were finding and discussing meanings for a very long time!