Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 31 reviews
on December 5, 2014
Although I do not accept the books promise that democratic humanism can and will replace God in our lives, I hasten to declare the thoughtfulness of this work. There is no requirement that the two stances compete. I readily agree that my faith and pursuit of God can be greatly enhanced by this great teacher's thoughtfulness as so ably expressed in this fine book.
on December 11, 2013
Thought provoking book. Though I did not agree with everything stated in the book, the premise is most agreeable. Liberal arts supply the building blocks for rational thought, deductive reasoning, and more importantly, imagination. It has influenced this reader of primarily non-fiction to seek more authors of poetry and fiction, especially the classics.

Thank you Mr. Edmundson.
on June 11, 2014
I was introduced to the author of this book through the other book he wrote, "Why Teach?" and based on my interest in the other book I ordered this one as well. Havent finished reading it yet but if anyone is interested in how to make teaching literature and support reading in classrooms this could be a useful read.
on November 12, 2013
Author covers many relevant works of literature and philosophy. He has a unique perspective about reading and teaching. a must read for anyone who teaches any type of humanities subjects. He also has good things for students to think about especially if they are going to teach.
on October 19, 2013
As a philosophy professor I am always seeking inspiration to keep the flame of democratic humanism alive. Mark Edmunson's book does that for me, and more. I plan now to read his other books.
on January 30, 2014
This is an excellent book. Every teenager should read it prior to going to college. I absolutely highly recommend it!
on November 17, 2014
Brilliant!
on November 11, 2012
This is perhaps one of the most important books about the state of higher education in America today. Enjoy it!
on July 3, 2013
We read this short tome for a book club selection. It was a bit tough going - no plot! - but well worth it. Very good club discussion followed.
on May 8, 2017
If I didn't have to read this for a class I wouldn't have picked it up. This was a waste of my time. Would have rather been reading other books.