Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning heera heera avfly_channel_heera  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Slaughterhouse Five forum

Why Tralfamadore?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2008, 9:50:56 AM PST
What is Vonnegut accomplishing by introducing Tralfamadore and time travel into a book about the bombing of Dresden?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2008, 10:31:58 AM PST
Frank519 says:
My thought is that Tralfamadore is his imaginary world created to assist him in relating his painful recollections of the horrors of Dresden and him imprisonment during the War. I just completed with my brother-in-law and my wife, a book which details the true story of the bombing of Dresden. It details the story of the 150 Americans housed in Vonnegut's infamous Slaughterhouse Five in their own words. (Shadows of Slaughterhouse Five available through Amazon.com) After interviewing at least 80 of the surviving men over the last 13 years, we learned that each man dealt with the horror in their own way. As you have re-read Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five, the book takes on a greater meaning. Tralfamadore is his literary "almost protective device" to tell his story. Other characters in the book are based on fellow prisoners such as Billy Pilgrim and Edgar Derby.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Slaughterhouse Five forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 25, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
Slaughterhouse Five
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (Audio Cassette - November 4, 2003)
4.2 out of 5 stars (2,825)