BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Russell Dickerson PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(5 star). See all 35 reviews
on July 22, 2016
I received this book as an adopted child and always loved it. It is my go to gift for friends now adopting children. It is probably dated but i have fond memories and it makes for a special gift for me.
on November 17, 2015
My folks gave me this book when I was 5, a family member just adopted a baby and it was the perfect gift to pass along.
on May 30, 2010
This book is out of print. I ordered it through Amazon. The first book I received, was in fair condition,even though I ordered a very good copy.This book was being given to a professional I work with and I wanted it to look as new as possible. I contacted Amazon and explained what had happened. They found a copy in Much better condition, and shipped it to me within 7 days at no charge, and I did not have to return the other copy. Great customer service-would use them again
on January 5, 2015
I had this book growing up. I am so happy I found it again! Just wish it was shipped in a hard package.
on April 22, 2014
For parents trying to brooch the subject of adoption to their child, this is an excellent way to introduce the topic.
on January 31, 2002
I think this book is great!!!! It approches the adoption issue in a humorous and understanding way for children, not like other books that seem rather depressing. Even my co-workers and I enjoyed reading it. The pictures are even great!
on April 9, 2002
can't wait until my son is old enough for us to start reading this with him... he' only 1. Another favorite for us is Jamie Lee Curtis's book.
This is a must have for adoptive families.
on July 4, 2013
This book was recommended to me by my best friend who is adopted. We are adopting through fostercare and most of the other books describe domestic infant adoptions or foreign adoptions, so it's tough to find one that fits our situation. We've also noticed that most other books don't mention fathers, at all. It's important to us that our son has a clear, honest, age appropriate understanding of how he came to be in our family. We also don't believe in either glorifying or vilifying adoption and this book does an excellent job of just presenting information.

What I love about this book is that it talks frankly and plainly about adoption. It discusses a variety of ways that children can be adopted and suggests that the child discuss with their parents how they came to be adopted. It lets the child know that they have birth parents who gave them the gift of life and that they have a forever family that loves them. It doesn't victimize them or exhault them for being adopted. It brings up key questions and issues relating to adoption, mentions several scenarios and invites the child to ask their parents about their family and their situation. It's a great book for discussion and the only one I've found that doesn't make assumptions about the situation surrounding the adoption. I'd say it's probably best for ages 5+ but I think older kids and young teens would still get a lot out of the book. I bought several other books that we ended up getting rid of because I was hesitant to buy this older book. I ended up buying a used copy of this book and wished I'd done that too begin with.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon March 17, 2013
Even though I'm now in my 30s, I was adopted at birth, and while that was never a secret in my household, this book became the gold standard on explaining what adoption actually meant. I can still remember the day my mom, now long deceased, bought it for us to read together. Even some of the illustrations--like shopping at the baby store--still stand out vividly in my memory, though I don't think I've seen a copy in at least 20 years.

I even took this to school and shared it with several classes when I was young, most of whom were filled with kids who had never even known such a thing as adoption existed. This was a frequent bedtime read in our household, starting when I was 4 or 5, and was a staple on my bookshelf for most of my life.

It really did explain, and probably set the standard, for what being adopted really meant. It made me special and and not at all weird. It also helped me answer all those "real" parents questions, every adoptee knows they get. (These ARE my real parents. Do you mean my biological parents?)

This book meant a lot to me growing up, and when one of my husband's best friends adopted a child, I passed this on to them to share with her when she was old enough.

The message, humor and a hint of '70s cheesiness make this an adoption classic, but the message it sends -- you were wanted, very much -- is as relevant, true and timeless today as it was when it was first published.

A classic of the genre. Sweet and simple. Perfect for adoptees of any age.
on December 13, 1998
Carole Livingston WHY WAS I ADOPTED?; Carol Publishing Co.; N.J.; 1996. This unique book's introduction starts the readers with whom we are not ( neither a gorilla nor a puppy. . .). This helps us explain who we are (humans) and what we are (unique people). As the adopted character in the book asks the reader(s) questions about their role in human relationships, the reader begins to have an idea that being a unique human is great and being a unique human who is adopted is very special. "An `adoptive parent" is a special kind of person." This book can do a great job at making an adopted child feel very special with great reasons of why children are adopted and how they are adopted. As well, it shares to the reader (the adopted child) that though he or she is special, he or she does not receive special treatments. The adopted child has to go to bed at a certain time, has to eat his or her carrots, and neither Mom nor Dad will not ignore ignore negetive behavior. This book is great for introducing an adopted child into a family, to a child who might feel embarrassed or ashamed about using the "adopted" when describing the self, to an elementary classroom with children who aren't too familiar with adoption or for whatever great reason YOU may have.