Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School

on April 9, 2012
I think the author has succeeded immensely in writing a book simple enough and clear enough for anyone to understand. He is not selling anything, is without selfish agendas (hidden or not), so that if people implement what he writes about, he will have helped many people and society at large. This book is unambiguous in what makes us fat, and how to lose weight. He is very convincing that we can get healthier along with reducing the chances of certain chronic diseases if we minimize or avoid most carbs. I've read some other books in this genre and though some have stated very similar things, they have not seemed so clear and so full of empirical evidence and explanations as to how so many in this country have gained weight or become obese. I have been wanting to lose about 10-15 lbs. and was frustrated with the calories in/ calories out approach and in the couple of weeks since reading this after making some changes to reduce carbs, I've lost almost half of my goal and believe I will get to my desired weight quite soon. It has been a significant change to reduce or cut out breads, pasta, sweets etc, but surprisingly not as tough as I would have imagined. It's been a choice that requires self discipline on my part and I feel no room to maneuver and play games or rationalize what I eat. I understand what I need to do to be at the weight I want. For me this is the most compelling, convincing and the best written book on this topic.
on May 18, 2014
This is a very good distillation of Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories". Although there is a suggested diet at the end of the book, I wouldn't call this a diet book, but a very intriguing look into the science that answers the question of why we get fat. Debunking the myth of the "calories in calories out" theory I found most fascinating. Some accuse Mr. Taubes of being biased, but I don't see that at all. I've researched and read many of his detractors, and I don't find that any of their arguments are able to punch holes in the science presented in this book. Read this for yourself and do some of your own research and see what you think. It's literally food for thought.
on March 18, 2015
This is the first low-carb diet book I have read that explains clearly and in simple language how a low-carb diet works and why. Similar information is found in, for example, the South Beach Diet Cookbook, but it doesn't go into nearly as much detail.

This is not a diet book, per se, as he really doesn't give you recipes or food lists. It's more of an explanation as to how carbs make you fat, while protein and fat don't, by describing the way your body processes them. It helps you understand where the "epidemic" of diabetes came from.

It also helps me understand why I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted, as much as I wanted without gaining weight and why that changed as I got older. A precautionary tale for my teen daughter who is skinny but is a carboholic. I am trying to gradually change her diet so she can avoid the problems I have had.
on May 20, 2014
The book describes how nutritional science has evolved over the past 100 years or so, and is very persuasive in describing the findings of many studies. However, much of the content in the book is redundant. After the fourth or fifth scientific study that supports the underlying conclusion of the book even the most dense reader can get the point. The author, however, continues to show more and more findings that support his view for a low carb diet without getting on to part of how a person can execute a diet change--which is largely why most people would buy the book. The author dumps most of this information into an appendix at the end.

This was a very frustrating read for m.
on April 17, 2013
I loved this book. I have been struggling with weight for a long time, and to date, only low carb diets produced results, but I always plateau then eventually give up. I already understood insulin resistance but this drove it home along with more much needed information. I changed my eating when I was done reading the book with renewed commitment and more knowledge and have blown past my usual plateau. I feel I now have the right knowledge to make it to my goal. If you have tried loosing weight and it just won't go, this book may be your answer too.
on December 2, 2013
I really enjoyed this book. I have been more and more interested in understanding diet and nutrition and this book provided a perspective that I had not considered before. Namely, that counting calories may not be the best approach to sustainable fat loss. Counting calories has been a mantra in many internet communities because the concept is pretty simple and alluring. But what this book does is deconstructs the rationale behind counting calories and provides a good counter argument. My main takeaway is that the author makes a compelling case that our bodies hormones regulate fat, how much we hold onto and where we store it. No two people are alike and accepting this, this book provides a primer on how different types of food affect our hormones and cause us to store fat. Put simply, too much consumption of carbs will result in weight gain, regardless of the amount of calories you consume.

I highly recommend this book.
on September 20, 2013
Gary Taubes convincingly describes why it isn't eating too much that makes us fat - it's eating foods which make us fat (i.e. refined carbs & sugar) that make us fat. This book changed my eating habits, and I lost 10 pounds, and cut my triglycerides in half.
on August 14, 2013
It doesn't matter that you are struggling with a weight issue or not. Gary Taubes explains it with precision and humor that will get you to keep turning the pages of this book (physical book or Kindle). He hammers home why we get fat, and the information will be compelling. You will walk away from this book thinking about the information it has conveyed. When I had struggled with my need to improve my blood lipids, the information I received from my healthcare advisors was absolutely useless. Nothing worked. None of it made any sense - "cut down on fat and increase your activities and exercise." Well, duh! I was running five miles every other day, and I had stripped all of the fat from my diet to a ridiculous level. I was eating fruit like there was no tomorrow. Result? Absolutely no improvement and my weight didn't budge. Fast forward to high fat and high protein plus more veggies and only two pieces of fruit - weight fell off! Blood sugars plummetted, triglycerides plummetted, and HDL came up fast, for the first time in my life. Don't think his argument has any weight? What have you got to lose?
on June 5, 2014
This is a really great book that summarizes a lot of research over time about how our body cells function. It isn't as simple as calories in, calories out. The body metabolizes food sources differently and we are all unique human beings. Worth the time to read and discuss with friends and medical professionals.
on May 3, 2016
I bought this book after watching 'Fed up" documentary by Clinton foundation.

Eye-revealing as you understand how the food industries were contributing to make us fatter and unhealthier. Though I am a bit sceptical about whether the recommended diet in this book is achievable. Can you completely eradicate wheat, bread, carbohydrates from your diet?
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse