Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

Why different prices for same game?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2013 7:48:57 AM PDT
So at E3 they stated that the 3DS version and the WiiU version would have the same exact characters for various reasons. So its not crazy to assume that it will basically be the same game, levels and all.
Now my question is why the hell would the 3DS versions be cheaper? Just because of the smaller screen? It has 3d too!!
I should have just gotten a 3DS instead of a WiiU... it has all the good games

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 3:25:48 PM PDT
They're different versions, and handheld games have always been cheaper. The WiiU version will have better graphics and can be played on a big screen HDTV, and the 3ds version will have 3d but with worse graphics. It has also been said that each version has different stages as well. If you're complaining about the price, you'll have to wait about 3-4 years for the price to go down, since Nintendo didn't bring Brawl's price down until about that long.

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 7:44:23 PM PDT
Dioh says:
unnoticedhero is right. Its all graphics. The time to make better graphics is consuming and workers are paid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2013 12:28:35 AM PDT
Marie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 11:52:00 PM PDT
Jason says:
Yeah, handheld games for cheaper because they're cheaper to make, and the graphics are much lower end. Not that it won't look good, hell I plan on buying both versions, though I'm going to get the Wii U version first and wait for the 3DS to become even cheaper. I would get 3D first, but I want to be able to play multiplayer with my brother and he doesn't have a 3DS.

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 10:38:46 AM PDT
Michael says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2013 1:08:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 9, 2014 4:36:03 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2013 9:29:05 PM PDT
Same but there are some differences. Console version uses levels from console games while the handheld version uses levels from other handheld games. So the levels are going to be somewhat different as well as the way the characters are outlined. There is a video that compares them both. Look it up on youtube. im sure you could find it.

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 2:42:21 PM PDT
the art style for the 2 versions is also different. the WiiU version is crisp HD, while the 3DS version strives for a more cel-shaded cartoony look.

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 4:42:29 PM PDT
Timmy Madden says:
when has cel-shaded graphic's been bad i like them i plan to get both versions but for now im will be getting the 3DS version to play with my friends

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 12:20:56 AM PST
Silver-edge says:
I'm hoping some retailers will have a deal for you to buy both version. If I recall... Amazon sold both versions of monster hunter together for 80 bucks instead of 100 I think? Something like that.

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 3:24:27 PM PST
J. Jackson says:
Is this a serious question? You have two tvs same model same brand but you dont go into a store expecting to pay the same price for a 32" as you would a 52".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2014 9:43:36 PM PST
But I would expect to pay the same for movies and streaming services for both size tve, same principle here

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2014 5:49:30 PM PDT
Psych's #1 says:
They aren't literally the same game. The 3DS game will be considerably less impressive than the Wii U. The game play will be similar enough to brand them as the same, but the Wii U version will be of higher value because it will have:

1. HD 1080p graphics (compared to the 3DS's faux HD graphics)
2. More complex controls (you can just do more with wii remotes than you can with the 3DS)
3. More value (while the 3DS version will likely use the handheld to the max extent possible, Nintendo has confirmed that the two won't be compatible together because the Wii U version cannot be achieved on a handheld*

*PS - this is why a Super Smash Bros was never released on the DS--which might have been able to port a version of the ORIGINAL smash bros on the N64

*The 3DS is capable of maybe a Brawl-level game and not on par with Smash Bros U.

Hope this comment helped.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2014 7:12:32 PM PDT
Helped more than the other comments, thanks
although you mentioned you think brawl may be able to run on the 3ds, I can only hope this new 3ds Smash bros is as good

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2014 2:41:39 PM PDT
Sam N says:
I agree with your point, but with regard to your second statement that's not necessarily true. If the games were in fact identical (which they are not) the 3DS version would just be a port of the Wii U version with downscaled graphics rendering. It would not make sense to make the 3DS version and then rewrite it entirely to have improved visuals for the Wii U when it would be much easier to just make one version for the Wii U and then scale it down for the 3DS. Though the games are not identical, they probably use a similar engine with lower resolution textures on the 3DS version (and the visuals tweaked a little to achieve the "drawing" effect). But it really would be hard to say which version involved more work as they were probably made in conjunction rather than as two separate projects. What you are paying for on the console is a more immersive experience through enhanced visuals, but the premium is for the user experience; it's not necessarily a direct reflection of the amount of work that went into development.

Posted on May 9, 2014 4:28:19 PM PDT
Psych's #1 says:
I seriously doubt that they're going to hold the Wii U version back in order for it to be the same game play as the 3ds version. the games are just different textures and models they're going to be fundamentally different. To think that 3ds would be able to run at the same fidelity as a home console is simply ridiculous. 1080 p is not the only advantage the Wii U version will have over a 3ds guaranteed.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Jun 28, 2013
Latest post:  May 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about