Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now
Customer Discussions > The Lost Symbol forum

Why read Dan Brown?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 72 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2009 6:12:57 PM PDT
What attributes of Dan Brown's novels make them worth reading?

Posted on Jul 27, 2009 6:24:52 PM PDT
its a book. its entertaining. if you dont like his other books you probably wont like this one

Posted on Jul 28, 2009 9:18:42 AM PDT
Lee Do Yeon says:
his novel is not that hard but still containing something that hard stuff readers wants, like holy grail or international intrigue. If you read Name of the Rose, Ants or anything like that, you probably think Brown's novel is not that hard but still make you feel like you are reading something worthy. When a book is not too expertic nor too easy, it can attract a lot of readers.
Just compare the "Blood and holy grain" and "Da Vinci Code" then, you can see why people want to read Brown's rather than a hard stuff.
It's not about "worth to read," it's about "how many people can read and understand the stuff and can be entertained"

Posted on Jul 28, 2009 10:19:50 AM PDT
Burklebees says:
His books are quick paced, action packed and easy to read. I got through the Davinci Code in 2 days. I love Dan Browns books and cant wait for The Lost Symbol.

Posted on Jul 30, 2009 12:06:36 AM PDT
Cory says:
It's not written by Stephenie Meyer...

'Nuff said.

Posted on Aug 4, 2009 10:00:27 PM PDT
Heidi Blafer says:
He is the most amazing author. His books twist and turn. I actually went into a little low after I read all of his books because they are so exciting and I love history!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2009 5:40:59 AM PDT
None. They're boring and unoriginal.

Posted on Aug 11, 2009 11:34:07 AM PDT
Maryam says:
For the new book, just to see how far off track Brown gets this time. Heidi, please don't think anything that you've read in Dan Brown's books has more than a passing relationship to actual history-this is the man who can't tell the difference between a language and a religion (Islam-Angels and Demons), and can't figure out that the Olympic games were in honor of Zeus, not Venus, and gets virtually every "fact" about religion wrong. Whatever he says is probably at least ninety degrees off the mark. You just have to be sad that so many people are taken in by his bogus, non-historical, NOT-meticulously-researched rantings.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2009 3:42:59 PM PDT
Cory says:
fiction.

I agree, he is not the most eloquent or capable writer, and yes, his researching stinks, but the sheer twisting nature of the plot gets me everytime, even if angels and demons seemed like ripoffs of each other. God, i hope he doesnt begin this one with a murder...

but sometimes, mindless drivel is fun... unless it is written by stephenie meyer, cause she is a total pervert with sick wet dreams of men ripping open her uterus with their bare teeth, which she seems to think is the most romantic thing in the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2009 7:52:28 PM PDT
John, for me, it's Brown's unexpected turns and twists, and at the same time, referencing multiple plots until the very end when it all ties together. I love a good stories.

Also, the factual historical element is very attractive. You won't see me reading historical texts, but put the same content in Brown's books and history comes alive!

I don't see me liking the Lost Symbol because it's not set in Europe. Oh, well. Can Washington be as attractive? We'll see!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009 6:18:28 AM PDT
donutlvr81 says:
Dan Brown is a very good author. His books are well written. You can really see what he is writing about and his characters are interesting. I know many weren't very happy with the Da Vinci Code because of the religious aspects of the book, but that aside, it's just a good story. That's the beauty with writing. It can just be a good, made up story that you can enjoy.

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 10:40:28 AM PDT
Cory says:
I think people sometimes forget that he is writing entertainment that gets you to think. people are so easily offended these days, and apart of his sucess lies in that truth. He writes about things that are contraversal, and it riles people up, which gives him publicity, which sells more books. He is a genius marketer in that regard. I love his books, but I also see them as entertainment. if we remeber that, then I dont see why everyone should get their underpants tied in knots over him.

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 4:15:17 AM PDT
I thought Bart Ehrman made the best comment about Dan Brown; his research was so good that he actually thought "da Vinci" was a surname ("the da Vinci Code" should actually have been "the Leonardo Code", people at that time didn't have surnames-if it was necessary to distinguish people with the same given name, they either added "son of...", or the person's occupation such as John Baker, or added "of" or "from" as in "da Vinci". At least his books are very easy to read, even if the plots are absolute rubbish (Deception Point springs to mind)

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 10:10:55 AM PDT
Cory says:
honestly, deception point was alot funner in my mind than digital fortress, which i have only read once and thats enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2009 6:25:19 AM PDT
His novels and subsequent movies are boring in my opinion. Want some excitement? Look on Wikipedia on the intrigues of the Vatican, the Vatican bank, the P2 Masons Lodge, and last but not least how to trap & store anti-matter.

Posted on Aug 25, 2009 1:46:29 PM PDT
You've read one you've read them all. I read DaVinci and Angels and Demons. Davinci was fun and exciting. Angels and Demons was just like DaVinci just a new city location and a new historical item. I suspect this book will be along the same plot outline. He has a formula and his books all follow the same formula. Also I don't find Langdon that appealing as a central figure.

Posted on Aug 25, 2009 5:37:02 PM PDT
Cory says:
I am hoping that the lost symbol branches out a bit on the forumla. the only difference to his first four books that we have been told is that this time around, it is a 12 hour timeframe, where as the first four were closer to 24 if i remeber correctly. come to think of it, angels and demons might have been a 12 hour one also.

how many times can you solve a murder of some important person connected to the plot (anti matter, encryption, secret socieity.)?

Posted on Aug 26, 2009 6:47:12 AM PDT
Why, indeed, when there is so much more interesting and informative material to be had? And I don't give a damn if you are a believer or not.

Hoppy

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2009 8:14:27 AM PDT
Dan Brown is a mediocre writer at best who got lucky when he discovered a topic that titillated the public. Now that publishing houses are all run by entertainment companies, a well-written, competently edited book is no longer worth the time or expense it takes to produce because profit margins are so small. If readers keep buying their favorite authors regardless of how many continuity, spelling and grammar errors their books contain, why should publishers care to do it right? Authors tell me that they are under tremendous pressure to finish books and are only allowed a certain number of corrections to the galley proofs which is why so many errors are left in today's books. All the errors make me wonder what editors do these days, but then we don't get to see the original manuscripts either.

Posted on Aug 27, 2009 9:06:42 AM PDT
J. LeMaster says:
His writing is a shoddy as his research. And to those who say, "dude, it's just a story! It's not supposed to be true!" - you miss the point. For example, when he says that the Vatican commissioned daVinci to paint hundreds of paintings, people just expect that he's relaying something historically factual, when in truth, the Vatican commissioned him to paint TWO paintings - and one was never finished. I know the book is fiction, but there are so many historical inaccuracies that once you look into it, it's actually kind of offensive. That plus his writing - those who believe he's a good writer must read books without a critical eye. He is simply NOT a good writer, he's just writing in a style that is easy to read. His writing is like the food at McDonalds. It's not that it's horrible - it's just that it's mediocre at best.

Posted on Aug 27, 2009 3:30:21 PM PDT
Cory says:
j. evans, sometimes, I just dont want to cook and I want a cheese burgers.

I love to be challanged by books, and I agree, dan brown doesnt truly challange you. It is all careful revelation of plot twists.

But sometimes I like reading a McNovel just so I can have a break from reading works of higher calibur and complexity... lord knows I will be reading alot of works of that nature as a English Major.

Posted on Aug 28, 2009 2:37:03 AM PDT
Jk Bouwknegt says:
I started a discussion about Music and Freemasonry; it's around Freestone's album The Temple of Humanity. Great music and artwork inspired by the tradition of Freemasonry. Surely the composer/producer knows what he's been talking/singing about; genuine stuff.
I just replied on a mail about conspiracythinkers etc. Please study the lyrics of Massonry Dissected, a track on the album.
It's about paranoia-like conspiracy thinkers.
There are no evil books or evil music, only people thinking and behaving evil.
Anyway, the themes discussed in the different tracks are truly worthwhile checking out.
Great album, you'll love it ;-)
Best wishes

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 6:30:50 PM PDT
I like how his books are a threat to the very fabric of our society and how even looking at a Dan Brown book is a mortal sin with no hope of redemption.

Actually, I like how he mixes actual history with his fictional twists. As others have said, his pacing is quick and there are enough twists to keep the reader on his "toes".

Basically, they're just plain, fun books.

Posted on Aug 30, 2009 7:51:36 AM PDT
Cory says:
Exactly.

I dont trust the judgement too much from people who lament that his books are not totally historically and factually accurate.

The thriller genre is defined by the fact that a thriller takes a element of truth, and mixes it up with elements of conspiracy and the authors imagination. The genre is not about factional accuracy. It is above weaving the real and the unreal into a story that engages and pulls you in so that the unreal becomes plasuable within the confines of the covers that bind the book. That is the mark of a good thriller.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2009 8:46:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2009 8:56:34 AM PDT
BrianB says:
The factual historical element is almost non-existent, buried within a mountain of false history. I enjoyed the Davinci Code as a thriller. A thriller that reveals a hidden agenda of misinformation is problematic. The author's public statement that every historical detail is accurate is also troubling. He is either a fool (unlikely) or a Mephistopholes.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Lost Symbol forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Lost Symbol: A novel
The Lost Symbol: A novel by Dan Brown (Paperback - 2010)
3.4 out of 5 stars (5,108)