Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 175 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 217 reviews
on May 27, 2015
No one in my family practices Wicca, and I don't know a single person on Earth that does, unless someone just hasn't told me. So I'm alone on this journey and this book is truly a godsend. I read the first two chapters in about an hour. It's so easy to read, understand, and the voice is so relateable. I've already recommended it to a friend, and she's going to start her path soon too. This is a must read for anyone who wants to learn more about the religion, to find out if it's right for them, and especially if they're doing it alone.
on September 29, 2015
After reading Scott Cunningham's "Wicca: a Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" I have to say I'm glad I also got this book. More in depth and open. Although I do still reccomend Cunningham's book, this was the perfect start for me. Thea Sabin is warm, welcoming, honest, and clear. She definitely opened the door for me and invited me in.
on January 22, 2013
I found this book to be informative however, for a beginner I have found that Towards The Wiccan Circle by D'Este is simply more straight forward and broken down into a study guide, where I feel like I am actually learning about my origins as a wiccan. Like every web site and book author will continue to repeat YOU MUST do your research and find your way into what works for you. This was one of 4 books I am currently using as part of my research. Good luck!
on November 8, 2010
This book is one of the best I have read for beginners so far. I bought this book mainly because of the title (yes I tend to judge a book by its cover), but I am very happy that I did. The author gives the readers a brief overview with enough information to get started but not so much that you get overwhelmed. I did find myself having questions after I finished reading the book but that is why I am looking for more advanced books. The author never makes any claims that the book is something its not and is very open with saying this is for beginner and is by no means a complete manual for everything you need to know, but it will get you off to a great start.

I read a few of the bad reviews (1 and 2 stars) and I can not believe these people. First off this book is not a complete book on herbs and the author even tells you that you do not have to use everything that they talk about but are simply giving you the information so you have and so you have an idea of what you could use. I never saw the author write once that you absolutely have to use a candle or herb or whatever. It is more about giving you ideas and they even tell you to do what feels best to you. The author explains several times that it is more important that you energy and will is right rather than the mundane tools you use to conduct the ritual. The author also states to acquire what you need gradually, that there is no need to run out and get everything right now. Also to those that say it is a boring read you must be easily bored because I thought this book was fascinating and could not put it down. I finished in like 3 days and I am a slow reader.

I personally did not try any of the rituals or techniques (yet), I was mainly using the book for information and I got plenty of it. I will be going back soon and trying some of the mediation techniques but like I said I was not looking for a spell or ritual book just information on the subject. If you want to try that stuff while you do the book that is great and you will probably get more out of it but if you want to just get a basic (beginner) over view it does that as well.

I hope this helps someone decide. Sorry if this seems a little scattered this is my first review. If I am wrong about what the book says above please feel free to post a comment on here with the exact quote or page and paragraph and I will look at it. Thank You.
on July 1, 2014
Whether you're new to Wicca or on the path for years now, this book is great for all. The exercises alone is enough to give this book 4 stars. She doesn't only tell you what type of exercise to do but gives detailed example(s) on how one can conduct them or even improvise. The energy exercises is simple but rewarding especially if you take the time to keep up with the v practices even after you achieved them.

Because of all the different traditions incorporated within Wicca, she isn't able to go into the meat of them but she does a great job in outlining them in a way to get the basics. She does though, at the beginning of the book, go into the history and how Wicca came the U.S., as well as, other facts.

The book is an easy read and understandable. One of the best beginner Wicca books I have at the moment. If not for school and work, I probably would have finished this book within a day (if I didn't attempt the actual exercises along the way).
on February 28, 2016
it's a very good beginner book, perhaps one of the better ones. But it is not quite as comprehensive and in-depth as I was expecting, or as I was looking for. :-( I would have liked a little more detailed discussion on some subjects. However, then again, maybe I am simply more advanced in my studies then I imagined myself to be. :-)
on August 18, 2014
I read that she writes in a delightful humor kind of way. For me I just found it a little cheesy, I don't know why, it just isn't my learning style apparently! Good book for beginners, informative. If youre interested in Wicca don't just stop at one book, buy many and keep learning. There's also awesome pod casts to listen to if your driving or don't have your book on hand and time to kill. Download the podcast app on your phone and you can hear some really awesome stuff as well as read.
on June 19, 2006
As a teacher of Wicca for many years, I'm always looking for better materials to use for training. I am grateful to Ms. Sabin for providing what will undoubtedly be the introductory book I will recommend for the foreseeable future. She presents the basics without pushing any given path or tradition, often presenting varying interpretations and viewpoints in a non-judgemental manner. This is a solid foundation for seekers to use as a springboard to whatever flavor of Wicca they choose to explore.

I appreciate that she addresses ethics within Wicca, which many authors seem to avoid, or present in a highly simplistic manner.

The book is clearly meant for beginners, hence the title, and is possibly the best overall introduction I have yet seen.
0Comment| 223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2013
I found this book exceptionally easy to read. Sabin's prose is casual and conversational, however she provides informative examples and exercises, which I found both enjoyable and useful. She can be a little vague at times, but this is an introductory text, so is expected. The 'further reading' list is useful to direct further studies into particular areas of interest. Would definitely recommend as an introduction, however it should be in conjunction with other texts with different perspectives, as the subject matter is not only vast but relatively open and sometimes inconsistent (which, in many ways, is the point of this alternative religion).
on September 18, 2015
The book came fast. This is a great book for any new Wiccan and it isn't biased but has some humor. It won't teach you how to be a witch since one must learn that on one's own, but it is a great guide and inspirational book.