Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 169 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 527 reviews
I’ll be the first to admit that this book has its problems. It can be cheesy, cliché, and reminiscent of other less impressive paranormal romances. And yet none of that bothered me. The world of fae that Melissa Marr creates is dark, elegant, and very engaging and while I can easily see why others might dislike this novel, none of its short comings bothered me. I enjoyed the plot of Aislinn having to face her biggest fears, Keenan learning to grow and mature, and Donia taking control of her life. The elements in the book all balance nicely together and I found myself hooked into the story and enjoying every moment of it.

I also loved the characters. I loved the strength and endurance of the female leads, Aislinn and Donia, and I enjoyed the dynamics between the male characters, Keenan and Seth. I found the relationships were interesting, realistic, and emotional. I also loved the evil Winter Queen. As much as I love a villain with a good backstory, I also love a villain who is just hateful and malicious for the sake of it! The cast brings a lot to the table and I’m eager to see where the series takes them.

The writing is one of my favorite things about this book. Marr has a way of writing about this dark, magical world of faeries that really captures the essence and brings it to life on the pages. While Marr does write in a way that seems a bit melodramatic at times, I still loved the story. The plot, the characters, the faery lore, the writing; I found all of it to be enjoyable. This book is a delightful guilty pleasure you can dive into and enjoy without investing too much. I’m excited to read future novels in the series and I hope they’re as entertaining as Wicked Lovely.
on December 16, 2011
It's funny every time I think of faeries I think of Tinkerbell, which is why I admire Melissa Marr for keeping much of the folklore that really surrounds faeries true in her novel. I personally loved that at the beginning of every chapter there was a quote taken from random works about the fae.

The characters were interesting, they kept my attention but besides Donia I didn't really feel there was much character growth through the novel, everyone just stayed the same. I also wasn't feeling the whole Seth and Aislinn pair. I just didn't feel the connection between the two. Not to mention I didn't understand how Seth especially with the way his character was described could be so calm in every single situation. Some raw emotion would have been nice.

As for Keenan, I don't really have much to say about him. I understood his frustration and desperation but I did not care for the whole stalker vibe he was giving off to Aislinn. Seriously, stalkers are not sexy...it's creepy.

Overall I did like but not love Wicked Lovely. I received the first three installments in the series for free through Swap so I will continue the series, and see if the characters have more development. Although it will be interesting to see since the next book is about Leslie, Aislinn's friend.
on August 14, 2015
I love tales of the fey, light and dark courts. They beauty and brutality. This tale came with a fairy tale. The Summer King has his power bound as a youth when his cruel mother, the Winter Queen murders his father. This leaves the Summer King bound and weak. He is forced to seduce mortal girls by his fey beauty to risk all for his love. If they win they become the Summer Queen. Thus far, all have failed. They either refuse to try to hold the Hawthorne (a scepter of sorts), and become a Summer girl, endlessly frolicking as a fae in the Summer courts harem, or they take the Hawthorne and become a cold girl. Forever frozen inside, forced to warn all future mortal girls of the error of attempting to be Keenan's true Summer Queen. Keenan suffers for centuries until he finds Ashlinn. She has been raised to hate and fear all fairies because she has the sight and knows they are cruel. She is also has a crush on her best friend Seth. Which of course, causes terrible obstacles for poor Keenan to break free from his psychotic mother and save humanity. I was really hoping for a hea for Keenan since he suffered so much and was willing to concede anything to have Ashlinn as his Queen. I won't spoil the ending other than to say it wasn't what I had hoped for for any of the characters. The story also alludes to future books in which the characters will be torn between the love of one person over another. Maybe Sean needed more character development to bring him into the story so that I would want to be on his team. I did enjoy the friends that Keenan had in his corner. Donia was very interesting as the Winter girl. Some things didn't mesh for me. Why would the Summer King marry a psychotic Winter Queen? And why could Ashlinn walk off into a snow storm when all other Summer fae including the Summer King could not?
on December 20, 2015
Fantastic romp in a land that is the PEFECT mix of modern and the ancient world of Faerie. I love the dark and almost morbid quality these books have. It's as addictive as a Winter Faeries' kiss.
Kenan is the king of the Fae, and yet is trapped by a curse of his mother's own bringing. He must find the right girl, the perfect girl and make her love him or everything will be completely lost to the dark world that Beira is trying so desperately to create.
Aislynn is high school girl well above her physical age. All she really wants to do is hang out with her almost-someone friend Seth in his abandoned train car home and draw and watch him...but he doesn't know about that part yet. But the fae have big plans for her, whether she likes it or not.

I love the characters in this series. They're strong but realistically so. Kenan for all that he's a faery prince has flaws of his own, despite his uncanny ability to glamour Ash whenever he desires. When I read this book the first time I remember thinking that perhaps it was a good thing there were no faeries in this world...they can have bark and bite just as bad as the other.
on August 31, 2017
I appreciated the references to many popular texts written with fairies as subjects. The appealing nature of the fey in this book is nicely balanced with their dangerous and menacing sides. Family, friendship, and inconveniently forced new relationships highlight the struggles involved with sacrifice, honor, and standing up for yourself and your dreams, and the importance of opening yourself up to new possibilities and experiences - even ones that might seem daunting.
on May 14, 2016
This book was absolutely amazing and I fell in love with it, the characters, and the whole world of faeries Melissa created immediately! I loved the way Melissa Marr mixes the modern and the ancient world of Fae. Something I really enjoyed was the heroin of this book is not in need of saving. Her character is strong willed, stubborn and took control instead of playing the victim/poor me role. I will reread this book again and again and can not wait to continue reading any book Melissa Marr is kind enough to write :)
on January 13, 2014
I bought this book for myself (I am in my 60's) because I love Sci-Fi, Fantasy, etc. and it looked good in the preview. It is written for age 12 and up, so is not at all vulgar or raunchy, but is a delightful story with love interests about the faery world existing alongside mortals. The author researched many books of fairy tales, and legends from Scotland and Ireland, and each chapter begins with a quote from one of her sources that pertains to that chapter. It is a romance story between two mortals, but the herione is being pursued by the faery Summer King and his court to become the new Winter Queen. He is so sure that "she is the One!" His mother is the present Winter Queen (for centuries) and is destructive and evil. Aislynn, the mortal heroine, has the gift (or curse) of Sight - being able to see all of the faery world around us. It is a fast read, and if it gets teenagers to read novels, that is even better! Melissa Marr has such detailed descriptions of the faeries and the landscape, but makes the book relevant to today's teens. I will put the book away for a few years for my granddaughter, who will be 8 this year.
on August 21, 2017
Would love to follow the story further as the characters learn to work together, regaining control over unruly fey and maybe taking some corrective action on evil humans as well. Fun stuff.
on July 19, 2017
This book was amazing. I love all things Fae and this takes on a more traditional sense with them living "among" us. Don't want to spoil it but holy cow it was good
on April 28, 2017
Pretty good read, wasn't sure if this was "young adult" fiction or not, but reads like it, especially with all the descriptions of "bars" in faces, etc (peircings). I do have to say, not sure of anyone who finds a belly ring on a guy attractive........