Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2006, 6:49:51 PM PDT
Enns says:
Is this edition in wide or full screen?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2006, 8:38:43 PM PDT
Nel the leon says:
The Amazon info says the Aspect Ratio is 1:78:1 so it should be widescreen, which I think is how it was originally presented in theaters

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2006, 6:39:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2006, 7:22:14 PM PDT
dooby says:
Oh no. I'm hoping this is not true. I preordered it and it's just been shipped.

"Little Mermaid" is supposed to have a negative aspect ratio of 1.66:1 (The print negative's dimensions - close to fullscreen). It has an intended theatrical ratio of 1.85:1. It is not supposed to be in 1.78:1 which is the ratio of the new widescreen TVs. If they have indeed cropped it to 1.78:1, then it will exactly fit newer widescreen TVs but will have part of the picture across the top and bottom of the original negative cropped away. It will still have more of the picture visible than in its intended theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1.

Depending on what you want out of the DVD, Disney's choice of 1.78:1 can be good or bad. It will have less picture than the original 1.66:1 negative but more than the 1.85:1 widescreen theatrical print. Cinephiles and purists will be gnashing their teeth but I suppose the bulk of Disney's customers won't care a whit.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2006, 6:58:15 PM PDT
narkspud says:
1.78. However, compared to the letterboxed edtion, it appears we have added at the sides rather than subtracted at the top and bottom. Your guess is as good as mine what's really going on here.

The bad news is that the voices on the new "enhanced" English soundtrack have had all the life processed out of them. It's hard to make Jodi Benson's vocals sound hollow, cold and uninteresting, but they sure did it. No other English language mix is provided.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2006, 5:39:31 PM PDT
1.78 moderate wide screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007, 3:41:01 AM PST
I thought it was Full Screen, but maybe I'm wrong.

--Dri ---
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2006
Latest post:  Dec 12, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about