Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
on July 27, 2011
A year of disrespect from my new mother-in-law had reached it's climax. I hate confrontation and have always been raised to be respectful of my elders, however my in-laws were making my life horrible and I knew something would have to change. After finally asserting my feelings to my mother-in-law, I can tell you that I was banned from their home and told that my existence would not be acknowledged until I could learn to behave as a daughter to them. After weeks of crying myself to sleep at night, and my husband siding with his parents, I finally bought this book!

This book is humorous and calming. The author describes different "types" of in-laws. Mine are not-so-great white sharks. It is not a boring read. I can say that the strategies suggested in the book are very helpful in assisting me to change my own behavior. As a result, I can already see tiny changes in my spouse's behavior. I am less critical of his parents in his presence and he is finally standing up for me to them. It's a hard road but I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel and our marriage is greatly improved from several weeks ago. (before the book) There are worksheets in the back of the book which I did not find helpful at all (which is why I don't give 5 stars). There is also two chapters specifically geared towards your spouse.
on August 24, 2015
If you are getting married, ladies, you may want to read through this book. Just sayin'...
Your age doesn't matter, if you are going to inherit a mother-in-law, make this small investment into you sanity. Being aware is half the battle, empowering yourself is the the other half. And...good luck.
on February 27, 2013
This book is easy to read and entertaining. It takes on a humorous approach in solving in-law problems. I would recommend it for recently engaged and newly married couples. This advice is basic and more on a beginner level. If you've been married for a long time or are experiencing serious in-law problems, I found "Toxic In-Laws" by Susan Forward to be much more helpful.
on April 12, 2017
Good quick lessons here. A good read.
on August 9, 2015
After having read a bunch of books on the family relationships I wanted to give this one a try but didn't give it much expectations because of the pink cheesy cover. Well, it turns out the old saying says it all: don't judge a book by its cover. It's easy to navigate, uncomplicated, blunt and helpful. It also has 2 chapters for husbands to read, which makes it up for work for both partners. I'd recommend it to the ones struggling in the extended family relationships.
on June 30, 2014
I liked this book. It had a wealth of information that I will use in my therapy practice. Thanks so much!
on November 18, 2014
Awesome Book! This is an easy read on a hard topic. I was giving a talk about DIL and their MIL at our church. While I was mainly talking to the DIL, I can see how this is a good read to MIL as well. This would make a great gift to a newly married couple (yes, couple - the husband is as involved as the wife). This needs to be in every library....an excellent resource book.
on December 4, 2014
This book tells it like it is and offers solutions for serious issues using light-hearted language. I appreciated the no-fault approach that held all parties accountable to strengthening their communication. Uplifting and a fast read.
on November 25, 2012
This book is an easy ready with VERY helpful hints! If you're wanting advice with your in-laws and a better understanding of how YOU can personally cope and see the situations fromALL angles, then this is a great buy!
on January 19, 2013
Great advice. Not all of it will apply to your situation but you'll figure that out once you start reading. I do like the humor in it and I really think it's practical advice that gives me hope with my current MIL situation. The only thing I would suggest being different is the cover. I felt kind of embarrased of having it out in front of company or my husband. I don't want anyone, even my husband to think I think his parents are evil or not great. Kind of defeats the purpose of working on the situation. Wish it was a little more discreet.