Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 814 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,844 reviews
I am the exact target consumer for this product. Very sedentary, watch too much TV, don't go to the gym, am not able to handle a lot of very strenuous exercise, and of course, own a Wii! I work from home and often take breaks through the day but particularly with the cost of gas rising so much, it's hard to make that 20 minute trip to the gym just to work out for 20-30 minutes. I own a home gym but find it boring and not really useful for getting a good aerobic workout on. I've only been using the Wii Fit for a few days now, but wow, am I thrilled with it! I has 4 different types of exercises: Yoga, Strength Training, Aerobics and Balance. While it is mostly intended for improving fitness, it does definitely take a "game" approach to it in terms of scoring your performance, unlocking additional exercises, tracking progress, etc. It's got the usual Wii type graphics similar to the Wii Sports that comes with a Wii system...nothing to write home about but do the job. For me, I find the exercises definitely challenging enough to give me a good workout, and fun enough to play that I want to take it out each day and see if I can improve my score. This is what I find really great about it...usually I get bored with basic exercise and don't stick with it for long, and often find it hard to stay motivated enough to keep exercising enough to push myself to the point that I am truly tired, but the Wii Fit's approach of scoring my performance made me want to keep repeating games and exercises to see if I could do better, and before I know it, I've completed an hour-long workout! For those of you that like to exercise, that may not seem like a big deal, but for us unmotivated people, it's pretty awesome. ;-) I'm just hoping I don't plateau too soon and continue to find enough challenge in this to find it similarly motivating months down the road. Or that additional exercise programs will come out with higher levels of challenge.

Some exercises I have to avoid due to knee problems, but overall I didn't find too many that were problematic. The one thing I wish there was is an easy way to create a "playlist" of exercises that it would just go through one after the other without have to go back and forth to the menu (which slows you down...and your heartrate too!) It does have a "Favorites" list but you still have to choose each game individually which does slow you down considerably.

If you are someone that already works out and is fairly fit, you probably will be disappointed with the difficulty level of the exercises, as they are geared more to the average person that doesn't getting enough exercise. If you are the sedentary type though, this is a great way to save money on a gym membership (and gas!) get yourself up and moving every day, and have a lot of fun in the process. I'm looking forward to other games using the board as well (hopefully that make more use of it than the We Ski that has gotten mediocre reviews.)
on January 7, 2009
I am middle aged, and in the last 7 years, I've gained a lot of weight. Combination of a hysterectomy and some serious stress in my personal life. I started trying to lose the extra weight about 2 years ago, and wasn't having any luck. Then my son got me WiiFit last April. I didn't start using it right away...not until August 7. But I have used it almost daily for the last 5 months, and I have had pretty good success.

In August, 2008, I was "Obese." I have now lost over 40 lbs, and the program now tells me I am "normal". I have a desk job, and WiiFit is the only exercise I do. I try to average 45 minutes or more a day. I am up to 30 minutes of "running" which I do looking out my picture window. I also regularly use Advance Step, and slalom ski and ski jump. When I started, I could barely manage the "short" run; now I do 2 Island Laps followed by one or more of the shorter runs. I still have trouble with hula hoop...some days I can do it well; other days, I can't keep the hula hoop going. I fill in with some of the other activities when I get bored, but I try to do at least 2 "Island laps" in each workout session.

It bothered me to be called "Obese." It bothered me a lot! Enough that I kept working at it until I saw the weight creep down, and one day it said I was "Overweight." What a great feeling that was! And now it says, "That's normal" which is even better.

I work up a pretty good sweat. I was surprised to see even the balance games get me sweating as they don't feel as much like exercises. I tried them because a friend who is a physical therapist recommended Slalom Ski, and I do feel it after I have worked at it for 15 minutes or more. It does use some of the smaller muscles, and I have seen my sense of balance improve as well.

I can see why some people would find it boring...I get tired of some of the choices, too. But I also got tired of using the cross trainer and the treadmill at the fitness center. I find this less boring than the aerobics machines at the fitness center; I can vary the activities more. Whether one gets their heart rate up as high as at a fitness center depends on how hard one works...when I jog, my heart rate goes up at least as high as it did on the treadmill. Hula hoop is challenging and gets it high even faster. I find hula hoop good for interval training...one round of hula hoop, followed by one round of step aerobics, and then repeat.

I respond well to short term goals, so seeing the minutes get added to the clock until it hits 30, when it "celebrates" works well for me, and then the additional minutes until I reach my workout goal for the session. I am less likely to cut the session short when the minutes are right there on the time clock, letting me know exactly what I still need to do to reach my goal. I also respond well to the various activity rubrics...the burn rate on running, which I try to keep above 100%, the time on the slalom, the score on the step aerobics. I like to at least meet previous scores.

It keeps me more involved than most of the other forms of exercise I've tried, and I have stayed with it better. It reminds me when I have missed a day, which helps me stay motivated. I like weighing myself every day. I do not like unpleasant surprises, and waiting a week or more to step on the scale and finding I haven't lost as much as I thought, or that I gained weight, is depressing....keeping track of small day-to-day changes works better for me. So I like doing a daily body test. I also like having a 2-week goal to work towards.

I like being at home to work out. The extra time to drive to and from the fitness center really added to the time it would take to workout, and was a particular disincentive in the winter when it is pretty cold here. No germs from other people's sweat to worry about at home. My own shower. I am getting some free weights as that is still something I need and it isn't part of WiiFit, but WiiFit fills a needed role in my efforts to improve my physical condition.

And after 5 months, which included Christmas and Thanksgiving, I am down 42 lbs. Still have a few to go to reach my goal, but my goal is in sight. My physical was in December, and all of my tests were normal, with some significant improvements in cholesterol, c-reactive protein, and heart rate compared to last year. Can't say I love WiiFit, but it is good for me and I will continue to use it.
on July 2, 2017
I enjoyed this game when I first started paying it, but found it lacking after a while and stopped. It is not enough of a workout to be especially effective, and not a fun enough game to want to keep playing. It is a very interesting idea, and the balance board works very well, but the game just couldn't keep me hooked.
on February 17, 2016
I love it! It is so nice to be able to do my light workouts again. My old balance board had died, and I bought several used ones locally, but they all died quickly. Finally bit the bullet and bought this one. It worked immediately when I synced it, and my wii remembered all the Miis that we had created five years ago. I especially like that I can use it on carpet without any trouble, since I have my tv set up in the living room.
on December 6, 2012
I am someone who when I bought this game a few years ago, did very little to no exercise at all. I had enjoyed many other Wii games and thought this might be my ticket to work a little exercise into my routine. I have also known quite a few others who have bought and used this as well. There has been considerable controversy and studies about how effective this product might be to lose weight, both in the press and among people I know.

My experience is that when I use it consistently, I do drop a few pounds, slowly. But more importantly for me, there are other benefits, such as more energy, an increased ability to relax, and better posture. I think that given my otherwise inactive lifestyle, this 30 minutes or so of activity a few times a week has made a big difference in those areas. For more active folks, maybe not so much. And consistency is key. I've found people use this for a few days or weeks, and give up. The games and activities are fun, but I think you have to be motivated on a deeper level than just expecting to be entertained whenever you use this.
VINE VOICEon May 23, 2008
Our Wii Fit came on the 20th and we have used it every day since. It's very easy to get started on, with intuitive controls and prompts. Both my sons (11 & 14) love it and I (46) love it as well. It's a lot of fun and can give you a vigorous workout (or not) depending on which exercises you choose.

As a physical therapist, I was impressed with how they teach good form on the strength and yoga exercises. Of course, the board cannot possibly discern some of the things you may be doing wrong - so I wouldn't say that it takes the place completely of a professional instructor or trainer. But it does instruct correctly, and also it often provides a visual feedback ('keep the red ball in the yellow area') to monitor your weight-bearing, balance, and posture throughout the activities.

I like the Body Test, the BMI, the scale function and the graphing. It's useful information and a good motivator. It's great that it keeps track of everything for you (including how many minutes you have exercised)so you can see any progress you might make. The Wii Fit "Age" is fairly misleading because they base it on balance. My 11 year-old son who is very active and competes in several sports came out with an Age of 41 - because they base it on your balance and he couldn't quite master the balance test. Similarly, as commented on (and this is even mentioned in the manual), a very muscular person could get a false high BMI. But as long as you realize that this is a game, not a doctor, and you can't take everything it says as gospel - it's no big deal.

One thing I do not like is the time between each exercise - pressing "A" over and over while the Wii Fit 'talks' to you is annoying and brings your heart rate down. (ETA: As advanced versions unlock it is possible to have a longer uninterrupted workout... but the wait between activities is still irritating.)It is not a smooth transition at all to go from one type of game to another (you must click 'quit' and then 'back' and then 'aerobics' - or whatever - and then on the game you want, and then 'okay' and then 'start'), and transitioning between players is really cumbersome and annoying so forget you and someone else each trying a certain game back and forth to see if you can beat each other - unless you have way more patience than I do. For this reason I would give it 4.5 stars if that were an option.

Right now (3 days old) there is a lot of variety but I wonder if we'll be bored with all the available games in a few months. It's nice that it gradually unlocks games but it doesn't look like there are enough to keep unlocking to last a year. ETA: 10 days in and haven't even gotten to all the balance, strength, or yoga activities... but am getting bored already with the cardio.

PROS:
-A lot of fun - we have been laughing and laughing
-A vigorous workout is possible if you choose challenging activities (instead of games)
-Keeps track of weight, BMI, balance scores, days exercised, and minutes exercised
-Instructs carefully and teaches good form, providing helpful visual feedback to help you monitor your form
-A nice variety of activities
-More activities are gradually unlocked - as well as advanced and/or longer versions of the same activities, which enables you to have a longer uninterrupted workout
-Simple to operate

CONS:
-Too much time is taken between activities, even when re-doing the same activity
-Even more time and button clicking is necessary transitioning to different activities
- While there is more than enough variety in the Balance Games (so fun), the Yoga (I haven't even gotten to them all), and the Strength - the Aerobics is already boring. There's Hula Hoop / Advanced Hula, Step / Advanced Step, Boxing / Advanced Boxing, and Running. I wish there were more. How about dancing?
-It's only a machine and therefore can give inaccurate feedback for example with regard to your BMI, or your exercise form.

All in all, definitely worth it! I can't believe you get all this for under $[...].
on December 5, 2008
When my wife heard this game was coming out, I started to hear it. "I want it, can we get it?" Eventually, we were able to find this on Amazon and make the purchase. First, let me tell you, this will probably not help you lose weight the way you may think. This feels more like toning and defining workouts than anything else. But hey! I think we all need some help in that area!

When you start the game, you get to choose your trainer, take your body test, and get going in the game. The game tests your BMI by using your height and weight and possibly balance to tell you where you fall. Being 6 foot 3 and 210 lbs I thought I was in decent shape. Nope! Atleast according to the WiiFit! Says I need to lose about 20 lbs before I'll be considered in shape. Oh well, I'll be working on it!

The exercises tend to be pretty simple... Push Ups, Leg Extensions, Yoga Poses, Running In Place, Hula Hooping, Balance Games, Etc... I did feel a burn starting off on the WiiFit. The push ups tend to be quite hard due to the fact your hands are close together rather than spread apart. Yoga is a struggle for me as I'm not very flexible. The balance games are hard! There's a labrynth type game, a game where you have to get your Mii through the river, etc.. All pretty entertaining!

As you progress through your WiiFitness you gain more games and longer workouts for the ones you're already doing. This is a plus as it makes your workouts more varied. I do wish that they'd let you do longer workouts before building up to the point that they're easy!

If you're looking to tone up and lose some fat, I'd say this should help. If you're looking to lose massive amounts of weight, not so sure that this can help you out.
on May 22, 2008
The Wii Fit is much more than a game. It combines the intuitive designs that Nintendo has been creating with the accessibility of an instructional workout video.

What sets it apart from a game is the fact that only 9 of the 48 activities are even actual games. The other 39 activities are workouts, yoga poses, and aerobic exercises.

What sets it apart from a workout DVD is the interaction it gives to make sure you're doing the exercises correctly. When you're doing a yoga pose, it measures your balance (which is displayed on the screen in real-time), and tells you (literally, you're trainer tells you) where your weight should be for that particular pose. At the same time, there's a growing and shrinking ring that shows you when you should inhale and exhale. On a DVD, none of this is possible, and you can end up spending months doing the poses or exercises wrong and seeing no improvement (possibly even doing damage).

If you've played the Brain Age series for the Nintendo DS, you'll be very familiar with the format of the game. By putting time in, it rewards you by unlocking new games or workouts as you progress. It accurately keeps track of your weight and BMI (Body Mass Index) and allows you to set goals for yourself for either of those measurements.

If you have the desire to get yourself in shape and improve your overall posture, this is the perfect tool for you. It keeps you coming back to train and improve, which is a huge accomplishment (since most people lose interest in workouts before they even see results).

I strongly recommend this for people of all ages, and I would be very surprised if the included Balance Board isn't incorporated into future games (good investment, hint hint).
on December 11, 2008
First: This thing is impossible to find, so I signed up for the text messages from Amazon. I didn't get anything for a couple of weeks, then finally got a message: they're in. I signed in immediately, and there was nothing available except for the heavily marked up stuff from resellers.

I was mad. I spent a couple of minutes trying to find somewhere to complain, when my wife wandered in. I explained what had happened, clicked the link to show her "what they were trying to pull" and... there it was, available new for the list price, free shipping, no tax.

I guess I was just a little too quick for Amazon's ability to update. I ordered it immediately. Taking the free shipping, it was predicted that it should take something like 5-10 days to get here; we got it here two days after I ordered it. Bravo, Amazon.

Then there's the game...

I'm not happy with certain aspects. My wife and I are both considered obese by the program. I've got a bad back and haven't been able to exercise much lately... but my legs are still crazy lean. I certainly could stand to lose a few pounds, but all the bicycling I used to do has put a LOT of muscle in my legs, if not elsewhere. My wife is pregnant, more than halfway through the 2nd trimester.

I'd be happier with the Fit if there were some way to take these kinds of things into account. It made my Mii a lard-butt. My wife's too - and she REALLY doesn't deserve it. And yet...

It's fun. It brings a fun way to work out into the house. It has introduced me to Yoga, which I've been meaning to get into but until now have never been able to find the time.

I've been able to figure out a low-impact workout that works for my back using the Fit. At last, I can start to get rid of the extra pounds I've gained since I lost the ability to really work out at the gym. I've got high hopes.

And my wife... they say the better shape you're in, the easier the labor. We'll see how that goes.

Bottom line: This looks like it's going to be a daily thing for us. I'm so glad I found one.

EDIT: Found a problem.

The more I use it, the more I'm reminded of my travels overseas. I wound up missing a pair of sneakers, but couldn't find anything larger than a size 10 US. I wear a US male 12 or 13, depending on the brand.

I've got big feet. The balance board is clearly not designed for someone with big feet.

I'm having to be creative about how I put my feet for the balance tests, as I've got to contend with either my toes hanging off the front or my heels off the back. The problem becomes most apparent when I'm doing the balance-on-one-leg yoga poses. REALLY challenging without being able to count on my toes for support.

This will only be a problem for people with big feet... and it doesn't make the thing any less fun. Still five stars.
VINE VOICEon August 1, 2008
I was lucky to have pre purchased this product through Amazon months ago, but waited to really try it for a prolonged period before reviewing. There are a lot of pros as well as a few cons. Let me begin by saying that my two teenagers and their friends use this as well and the balance board holds up beautifully. Now to the pros:

1st..fun, easy to use
2nd...quick workouts for quick weight loss
3rd...use whenever...you're at home..use it naked if you want!
4th...no gym fees
5th...did I mention FUN!
**There are many more pros, but I am sure you get the jist.

Cons:
1st..and it's a biggie!...SHUT UP WII PERSON!
the computer is to talkative..heaven forbid you are gone on vacation and don't use for bit. I don't care if I haven't worked out for week...I was on vacation!

2nd...another biggie...my idea of overweight and Wii's idea are two different things! I really don't like how it calculates weight. My husband is a twig and he is overweight? My son, 6 feet is obese? Please. I work in the medical profession, I know weight...this bugs me.

Overall, I do use this. The kids and their friends use it and have fun, which is what it is meant to do, but I could really live without the little WII voice. I would like to jump on the balance board, choose my activities and be off on the road of fitness without traffic lights.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.