Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 10,487 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13,098 reviews
on June 3, 2012
If I had known that every few pages I would have to see passages underlined by Oprah I would not have bought this edition. Not only does it bump me out of the narrative, but it deprives me of experiencing the book on my own; instead forcing me to think Oprah's underlines are the important parts. It makes what could otherwise be a beautiful story feel like a cheap used textbook. I should at least be able to hide the obnoxious underlining and get to experience the story on my own.

I love the story, and I love Oprah, but I hate having her perspective forced on me as I read. I'll never buy an Oprah digital book again.
3636 comments| 1,355 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed the film "Wild" starring Reese Witherspoon so much that I felt a need to read the book. The highlight of the book is truly the story. Strayed has an incredible story to tell and her life experiences make up for her lack of a strong writing voice. The book has a much more "raw" feel to it than the movie did, a little more literal and a little less spiritual, this may attract those seeking the more traditional "found myself in nature" story than the film offered. Both are worth your time as they offer the same story, but completely different experiences.
on June 21, 2017
The author, Cheryl Strayed writes with an honest voice about her life. There are plenty of reviews that describe the book in details, so I will not go into a full on book description here, but what I can say is that I could really feel her journey every step of the way because she writes with a real sense of honesty and detail. It is well worth the read, especially if you enjoy reading memoirs. For me, it is quite inspiring to read about people whose lives fall apart and then they somehow build the courage to go forward. The book is her story, but quite a spiritual one, and inspiring.
on December 11, 2013
Cheryl Strayed has to be the most unlikable person who ever wrote a memoir! The book kept me reasonably entertained, however, horrified by her poor decisions and her careless attitude about such decisions. I thought many of her explanations came across as rather detached. Her obsession with sex and the fact that she brought a "fat roll" of condoms on this hike was tiring. The killing of her mothers horse and eating her mothers ashes left me feeling ill. In the end she claimed to be healed and to have a desire to change the path she was on however nothing about her journey made me believe that.
on March 27, 2014
I should have known the moment I read "I could see his penis threw his pants.. I wanted him to take me..." referring to the hospice nurse taking care of her dying mother that this wasn't the book for me. I liked it in the beginning but as the book progressed I felt like nothing was changing, she was still the same self indulgent person. Also I don't like how she kept saying she did the PCT, she did part of California and none of Washington, I understand that there was record snow fall but come on do your research.

I read this for my book club and that's about the only reason I finished it.
on December 13, 2014
My son attempted the PCT in another record-breaking year of snow fall and precipitation. He began at the Mexican border and had to revise his plan so much that by the time he reached Los Angeles, he was demoralized and depleted and decided to abandon his dream. After reading this memoir, I can appreciate why this probably happens to a good percentage of those who, with the best intentions and planning, fall prey to the dangers and vagaries of this infamous trail. Having said all that, Cheryl Strayed's story is inspirational and cautionary at the same time. With boots a size too small and a pack that weighed far more than she should have attempted, she soldiered on and managed to accomplish most of her original dream. The only part that seemed gratuitous to me was the sexual encounter. One of her stated reasons for embarking on this journey was to put away her dangerous lifestyle of too many sexual encounters and dabbling in dangerous drug consumption. Seems she should have thought long and hard about what she was doing and should have foregone that useless exercise. For me, it cheapened her. Having said that, I enjoyed this story and would recommend it...I'm also looking forward to seeing the film...hope it doesn't disappoint.
on September 3, 2013
The hype made this out to be THE book to read; supposidly beautifuly written, srikingly independent and adventerous. If you liked "Eat, Pray, Love" or the imfamous "Bridges of Madison County" then you'll like this. It's junk food for the real reader but not a meal. The character grows tiresome. Not much about the actually hiking journey iteself and certainly no Annie Dilliard - for someone spending this much time in the wild, the resolutions barely occur in her head and not once in what nature could have revealed. I was disappointed with her evident immaturity, lack of real insight and so called wild lifestyle. I've seen and read worse with much more spiritual clarity in the end that this. Felt nothing at all for this character and certainly no feeling that she'd wrestled demons and overcome her past. I think she just grew up over the years and this hiking trip just happened along the way. Bet the movie will be better/.
on June 15, 2015
So overall I really liked this book. It was entertaining and a lot of the passages were introspective. Wild is primarily about two things. The first is Strayed’s journey through the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) which, for her, spanned from California to Oregon. There were detours, interesting characters, several ass-kickings from Mother Nature, and beautiful scenery-all of which Strayed details while concurrently writing about the other major thing that the novel is about. In the years before she decided to hike the PCT, Strayed’s life really fell apart and she struggled to keep herself from drowning in her mistakes, all while not being able to admit that she needed help. In the lulls between exciting events on the PCT, Strayed fills the pages with what became of her life after the personal tragedy that started everything and how she felt that it led her to the PCT. The full title of the book is Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail and that is precisely what the book is about. She details how hiking more than a thousand miles somehow healed her wounded soul and set her upon a new path, one that was affected but not defined by her past.

The reason I think I liked this book so much was because I too have had my fair share of personal tragedy. To be honest, I don’t think anyone who’s never suffered through anything similar to Strayed wouldn’t fully appreciate her prose and determination to hike the PCT. I know I was certainly ready to pack a bag and start walking. The book got slow in some parts–when Strayed was walking without event or lying awake in her tent–and it was these parts that she filled with her thoughts and history. This novel is about the path to healing and, anyone who has ever felt broken, will feel healed alongside Strayed.

I gave Wild a heartwarming 4 out of 5 stars.
on January 18, 2015
I do not understand the hype. It was a boring read, I only finished assuming something amazing would happen (given all the positive reviews), but no, nothing happened. At one point I thought she was going to be attacked and this would be a story of personal recovery, no. The author just seems self absorbed and selfish...the story was mostly about how the loss of her mother changed her life, yet she doesn't see the irony in her own personal choices before she embarks on her journey (won't spoil it for others)...
on February 28, 2017
I liked this book for the most part. What I didnt like is she kept rambling on repeating herself over and over again about the same thing with the loss of her mother and being abused by her father. I had to skim through a lot of that after a while because it became so repetitive. What I found inspiring is having been a long time backpacker myself whose hiked all over the world is how someone with no experience drops everything to do it. She was very ill prepared and didnt train herself at all before hand. She didnt do any shakedown work or practice hikes. She was just determined to do it.

In a way this book is like reading Orange is the new black. Anyone whose read Orange would like this. A women who comes to terms with the mistakes of her past and her way forward in life. In a sense about resiliency for anyone struggling to overcome their mistakes in the past and how to put it all behind them to live a better life.