BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 3, 2012
If I had known that every few pages I would have to see passages underlined by Oprah I would not have bought this edition. Not only does it bump me out of the narrative, but it deprives me of experiencing the book on my own; instead forcing me to think Oprah's underlines are the important parts. It makes what could otherwise be a beautiful story feel like a cheap used textbook. I should at least be able to hide the obnoxious underlining and get to experience the story on my own.

I love the story, and I love Oprah, but I hate having her perspective forced on me as I read. I'll never buy an Oprah digital book again.
3636 comments| 1,361 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2017
Loved this book! As a lifelong backpacker, it took me back to the old days where "monster" was what we had. I enjoyed the author's journey both mentally and physically too, she tells a great story; and even as a guy I could relate in many ways. I saw the movie and read the book, honestly, I wouldn't compare the two. Like most cases, if you want to get into the weeds, you read the book, and if you want to be quickly entertained you watch the movie; that being said I think the story was fairly consistent in both and the changes in the movie were clearly for Hollywood's time constraints.
on January 18, 2015
I do not understand the hype. It was a boring read, I only finished assuming something amazing would happen (given all the positive reviews), but no, nothing happened. At one point I thought she was going to be attacked and this would be a story of personal recovery, no. The author just seems self absorbed and selfish...the story was mostly about how the loss of her mother changed her life, yet she doesn't see the irony in her own personal choices before she embarks on her journey (won't spoil it for others)...
on February 28, 2017
I liked this book for the most part. What I didnt like is she kept rambling on repeating herself over and over again about the same thing with the loss of her mother and being abused by her father. I had to skim through a lot of that after a while because it became so repetitive. What I found inspiring is having been a long time backpacker myself whose hiked all over the world is how someone with no experience drops everything to do it. She was very ill prepared and didnt train herself at all before hand. She didnt do any shakedown work or practice hikes. She was just determined to do it.

In a way this book is like reading Orange is the new black. Anyone whose read Orange would like this. A women who comes to terms with the mistakes of her past and her way forward in life. In a sense about resiliency for anyone struggling to overcome their mistakes in the past and how to put it all behind them to live a better life.
on May 5, 2015
Read from May 02 to 05, 2015

I just recently watched the movie "Wild." I have actually watched the movie several times now. When I saw that it was based on a true story I immediately logged onto Amazon and ordered the book. I am so glad I did as this is a wonderful book.

Of course there are different things in the book than in the movie, but that just made it better, it was liked I was learning more about Cheryl's life.

I have always wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail when I would see the signs to it not far from where I live. But I got sick and that never happened. If you get a thought to try something, don't wait, DO IT, because you never know what is going to happen.

I never even knew anything about the PCT. I want to get books on it and read about it. I want to see in a book the actual places that Cheryl was in the book. I want to recognize some of the places.

I can't state enough how much I loved the book. It was so moving and hard. I can't imagine the things she went through, what anyone that hikes like that goes through. I love hiking but this is beyond hiking in my opinion.

Cheryl found out a lot of things about herself while on the trail. She met a lot of nice people along the way as well.

Sometimes a person's life is so sad and seems so horrible and then something wonderful comes along. Cheryl eventually found that in her life and I'm happy for her.

I recommend this book to anyone that loves hiking, to anyone that loves stories about finding yourself, to anyone that loves stories about the hardships of life.

Totally awesome!

MY REVIEWS:

www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

on April 27, 2017
It took a while for me to "get into" this book. I couldn't relate to her. But get into it I did and then I enjoyed it a great deal. She is very honest about her feelings and her ordeal. She endured immense suffering in order to find herself, but it seems like she did. My book club is going via bus to hear her speak tonight, and I was looking forward to that experience. Unfortunately a family situation interfered and I won't get to hear her in person.
on May 30, 2012
A young woman who "strayed" reinvents herself while hiking on the Pacific Crest Trail. Cheryl Strayed is a courageous woman with an uncanny ability to evoke emotion through her prose. In "Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail," Cheryl bares her soul and reflects on the events in her life that brought her to Oregon and California, where she takes on her past as she solo hikes the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT). Her journey of discovery appropriately ends at the Bridge of the Gods where she contemplates her future. Read the book to find out what that future holds.

If you are looking, or not looking to read another account of a solo hiker on the PCT, be advised that this one goes beyond the average account. Be ready to cry while learning about the author's crooked path as she breaks her own heart. Be ready to be enthralled with colorful and emotional writing from an author with tremendous artistic talent.

The author who discovered her true self on a courageous journey is also a talented writer. If you love good writing, adventures, and the out of doors, don't miss the opportunity to read this book.
on August 21, 2017
I just didn't enjoy it. I can see why some people draw inspiration from the story and the book, but I found both to be highly frustrating. The book itself was very well written, and I thought the trail portions and the "home" portions were well balanced. I actually learned a ton about through-hiking and want to learn more. However, I am a very different person from Cheryl, and I found her rationale and approach to the hike to be infuriating. I also think she took some liberties with the truth on her version of some events just from reading between the lines of what was actually written (how much other people helped her, her pre-trail life, etc.). Kudos to her for the candor -- putting yourself out there is HARD and I would not want my life judged like that. I took away that she was a young, self-centered person before and during the hike...I hope the hike changed that, but there's not enough "after" to know and the book doesn't seem to reflect a self-awareness of her selfishness.
on December 25, 2014
Sometimes I happen across a book that leaves a profound impression on me and this was one of them. I have hiked sections of the PCT as well as nearly all of the Colorado trail, a lot of it solo in a two month long quest. My quest was very different but there were amazing parallels. Wild was an inspirational and emotional read for me. This book has inspired me to expand my own trekking journal-not as a copy cat but as a pure inspiration to tell my own story of my exit and reentry into society which is profoundly different than hers.

I was a much more experienced outdoors person then Cheryl Strayed when I did my trek but I was impressed by her ability to adapt and learn the skills of a long distance hiker through the school of hard knocks. When you are soloing in the wilderness a minor mishap can spiral into a life and death situation. The book does a good job illustrating this fact of life for solo wilderness adventures. I think at times she was on the brink and if she would've suffered an accident or worse than this quest could be viewed as a suicidal undertaking-much like Christopher McCandless' fate in John Krakauer's Into the Wild. I have wondered this about myself and the deeper motivations for my own solo wilderness undertaking.

In reading about her experiences on the PCT, I remembered the exhaustion camps, navigating through waste deep snow, walking the dry sections in thirst, yelling at wild animals, and living off dehydrated food that was mailed to me on different legs of the trip. These were definite parallels that hit home. A hot meal, a shower, and a beer become luxuries when you leave the ordinary life we live where we take such things for granted. She called her pack the monster, I called mine the pig. I too experienced some trail magic as well as some moments of existential terror.

Getting a woman's perspective on solo trekking was very interesting and enlightening for me. I didn't see a woman on my own trek unless I went to a mountain town or was on a popular day hike section of the CT. The challenges of soloing are indeed magnified by being a female alone and vulnerable. Being able to persevere and not bail out at the earliest convenience is also one of the books main themes. When you undertake a quest like this you are often riddled with self doubt and the whole why did I do this when I could be home in front of the tube with plumbing and central heating?

I found the tone of this book to be extremely sad and I feel that her experience was about dealing with loss and rebuilding one's life in the face of hopelessness and despair. When one leaves the ordinary life for an adventure like this it is often a quest. I believe her quest was a transformation even though to some it might have seemed half-baked and possibly suicidal.

I lived in Portland from 1992 to 1995 and am from the same generation. I wonder if Cheryl and I ever crossed paths in Portland? I would like to think so because solo trekkers are kindred spirits. When I finished this book I was almost moved to tears and deeply thankful to the author for sharing this experience with such a straight forward writing style that hid nothing and reveled the inner workings of the mind of a lost soul.

I only heard about this book when I saw the movie trailer and was compelled to read it before seeing the movie which I believe Reese Witherspoon might be miscast. Every once and awhile you come across a book where you would like to thank the writer for writing it because it touches your life-this book is one of them.
on June 8, 2014
As an athletic, semi-hippie, mountain-loving woman, I liked the book. I am, however, surprised how critical some of the reviews are here. Don't get me wrong, I don't think she was smart or brave to hike the PCT alone with such little experience, nor do I think her extreme attachment to her mother was healthy. In fact I think the former was darn right stupid and the latter is a mental and emotional disease manifested in her promiscuity and drug use. BUT, she was dealt a set of cards, like most of us are, and given her state of mind and life, I can't say I blame her. There is an indescribable and healing power in nature and especially in the mountains. I don't know if I would have done differently. She had nothing to lose and if she did not take a drastic measure, she would have very likely died of self infliction, be it suicide or drugs or whatever. The writing was simple and fluid, but I think describing the death of her horse was unnecessary and added no value to her story. I skipped over that part bc I just don't have the heart to read about an animal suffering. There were many other details which I could have done without. I enjoyed the book, but I hope there are no copy cats out there after the release of the movie. Otherwise, USFS and NPS will have a huge problem on their hands pulling a lot of dead bodies out of PCT. Hiking PCT is not for the novice.