Salon Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on December 13, 2016
I was reluctant at first to read this book by Mark Batterson, but a few pages in I was so glad that I did. The Wild Goose Chase was a great read and also a great encouragement to me. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who feels a calling to do something great for God, but maybe lacks the confidence to move forward. Whether, you are a rookie in stepping out in faith, or a veteran who has done it many times - you will find that there is something for everyone in this book.
2 people found this helpful
on August 28, 2008
I would highly recommend Mark Batterson's latest book titled, Wild Goose Chase. I was fortunate enough to receive two copies in a special pre-release (I have already given the second copy to my lead pastor in hopes that he might consider going through the book via a series in Spring of next year). You can read more about the book at [...]. The site also includes Mark's "10 Steps to Setting Life Goals." I loved the book enough to already pre-order enough copies for my entire student leadership team.

Chapter five, titled "A Rooster's Crow," makes the book a must-read just by itself. Batterson challenges the reader to come out of the cage (anything that keeps us from pursuing our adventure with God) of guilt. Drawing from Pavlov's psychological hypothesis of conditioned reflex, the author proposes that certain situations and sinful decisions have conditioned unnatural and unhealthy reflexes in our lives (sometimes minor idiosyncrasies and at other times serious personality traits). Such reflexes vary in each of us . . . for some it is alcoholism, for others it is a critical spirit (ouch), and still others struggle with their own insecurities. Guilt (whether unconfessed towards God or unforgettable within ourselves) dulls our sensitivity to the Holy Spirit and keeps us from living the life that we were designed and destined to experience.

One only has to look to the experiences of Peter to discover this truth lived out . . . "Then seizing [Jesus], they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance. But when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them. A servant girl saw him seated there in the firelight. She looked closely at him and said, 'This man was with him.' But he denied it. 'Woman, I don't know him,' he said. A little later someone else saw him and said, 'You also are one of them.' 'Man, I am not!' Peter replied. About an hour later another asserted, 'Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean.' Peter replied, 'Man, I don't know what you're talking about!' Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: 'Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.' And he went outside and wept bitterly"(Luke 22:54-62, NIV). Peter's betrayal was marked with a rooster crowing. Every time he heard that common sound (nearly every morning, I am sure) he was reminded of the terrible moment when he let his beloved Master down in his greatest hour of need. Batterson reminds us that Satan prowls around like a roaring lion . . . but maybe he is also crowing like a rooster. Isn't that just like the Enemy to remind us of all of our past failures over and over again (even when God has graciously forgiven us)?

The chapter goes on to instruct Christ-followers in this . . . maybe God does not only teach us - maybe he spends more time re-teaching us? Maybe he is not always making things new - but making us re-newed? The greatest challenge might just be that he as to re-condition us so that we "re-act" in the image of our Lord and Savior rather than settling for "acting" like someone we are not. How many of us as self-professed disciples of Christ actually pray for those who bully us? Love our enemies? Bless those who curse us? Go the extra mile for those who force us to go the first one? How many of us actually turn our cheek when someone strikes us in the face? Everything natural within us wishes to fight back. Everything supernatural (the re-newing within us) wishes to absorb the rebellion and extend reconciliation. Imagine that, with God at work within us and through us, hatred can actually inspire love. We can actually transform a curse into a blessing. Talk about changing the world.

Do we really value loving people when they least expect it and least deserve it? I wrestle with this kingdom principle nearly every day of my life. I have a family member who hurt me in many ways for many years. There are times I am frustrated with their attitudes and actions . . . so much so that I am guilty of sometimes disbelieving that this individual will ever be redeemed. Yet, I know that Jesus has taught that we forgive seven times seventy. I also understand that forgiveness is really the only way that we ever are able to disconnect ourselves from the past. So many of us are trapped by our own bitterness . . . lost in our hurt to the point that we can no longer enjoy life. Where is our adventure? Where is our journey with our Creator? Forgiveness actually liberates us . . . and our hearts end up being re-conditioned in the process. Forgiving someone else helps us receive forgiveness from God.

Releasing our offenses towards another is nearly has refreshing as receiving restoration from Christ. The roosters were making Peter feel pretty guilty. He probably thought that his commission as a Christ-follower was null and void. That is probably why he returned to his original vocation of fishing. He had failed too many timed to be re-instated. Failure, all too often, pushed us right back into our old ways. Guilt shrinks our dreams. Grace brings about the opposite result . . . it re-vives our hearts and vision. John 20:15-17 tells the true account of when Jesus searched for Peter . . . not to reprimand him but to re-commission him. The ironic part was that the "ceremony" took place in none other than in the morning (probably right after another rooster crowed). Mark Batterson is a gifted author and pastor . . . but he also is a pretty talented mathematician. He alleges that sin without grace results in guilt while sin plus guilt becomes gratitude. The choice is ours . . . will we drown in our own guilt (past failures and hurts) or will we swim in the re-freshing waters of gratitude and forgiven es? Take some time to read the book and then go out and chase some geese . . . .

Official Summary: "Most of us have no idea where we're going most of the time. Perfect. 'Celtic Christians had a name for the Holy Spirit - An Geadh-Glas, or the Wild Goose. The name hints at mystery. Much like a wild goose, the Spirit of God cannot be tracked or tamed. An element of danger, an air of unpredictability surround Him. And while the name may sound a little sacrilegious, I cannot think of a better description of what it's like to follow the Spirit through life. I think the Celtic Christians were on to something . . . . Most of us will have no idea where we are going most of the time. And I know that is unsettling. But circumstantial uncertainty also goes by another name: Adventure" (from author's introduction).

Offical Bio: Mark Batterson is the lead pastor of Washington, DC's National Community Church, widely recognized as one of America's most innovative churches. NCC meets in movie theaters at metro stops throughout the city, as well as in a church-owned coffee house near Union Station. More than seventy percent of NCC'ers are single twentysomethings who live or work on Capitol Hill. Mark is the author of the best-selling In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day and a widely read blogger ([...]). He lives on Capitol Hill with his wife, Lora, and their three children.
2 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon March 31, 2010
Batterson is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. From his initial offering In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day to his latest Wild Goose Chase, I'd say that reading Batterson is akin to watching one of the great classic college footballs games on ESPN - it's not a new premise or concept, it's just delivered so well you find yourself immersed in the book almost sitting on the edge of your seat reading page after page. I love the message of this book - let go of the world, grab on to God and hang on for the ride of your life! It reminds me of Daniel chapter 1 when Daniel resolved not to defile himself...meaning that he left go of the things of this world and chose to follow God no matter what the cost - and the very next verse begins with "Now God...". You want a "now God" moment in your life - resolve to follow God no matter what the cost and see where the Lord takes you. Batterson isn't saying that the Christian walk is all daisies, though; it's a tough journey not for the faint at heart. But the alternative, according to Batterson, is a dull, boring, wasted life. Obviously I agree with Batterson.

This is a great book for any Christian to read - but I think the message will resonate especially with young men - I just wish more of them read books!
on June 11, 2018
Very disappointing. The title is awesome and was what got my attention to purchase the book. It won't find itself in the same company as Tozer, or Eldredge for this intriguing topic. It is more like a children's book intro to the Holy Spirit but trying to be more.
on January 27, 2014
HI, Good important thoughts..but similar to other books. I like the book called All In by Batterson. It is bold/strong. I agree people in the Bible went all in and people need to also go all in now. Sitting in church and always learning but never doing is not good. People can have an exciting life..not boring..doing God's will. I am glad I read it. It reinforced the ideas and more. He has great comparisons and gets you to really think about how God works and what he expects.
One person found this helpful
on January 29, 2016
I love this book! It came into my life at a time when I took on a difficult, new job and was second-guessing myself. This book confirmed to me that God intends life to be an adventure, and most worthwhile things are hard. I check out Mark Batterson's books at the library, and I always end up buying them for my own collection so I can highlight and mark them up.
One person found this helpful
on September 4, 2017
I have very much enjoyed this book. It's a good reminder to that it's not all about me and that I need to be looking for what God is trying to tell me. It isn't about being safe or taking extremely risky chances, but being in tune with God and the path down which he is leading me,
on September 9, 2013
This is the most down to earth description of the nature and work of the Holy Spirit in Christianity. Most of the studies previously read are either vague or step away from the real experience of encounter with how God is working in us. Be ready for finding a fresh new insight on the subject. I have recommended this book to quite a number of people, and have given copies to other friends and neighbors. It will stay on my reading shelf so I can continue to look through it.
3 people found this helpful
on May 2, 2018
Great concepts and thought-provoking questions. We like safe, predictable, and even easy, but this book reminded me that I am hardwired for adventure. I feel best when a challenge is laid before me, and it gets accomplished. So what could be better than allowing God's vision to lay out the challenge and God's strength be the thing to accomplish it through me? This book makes me say, "Put me in, coach!"
on October 5, 2009
After reading his "Lion" book, I wondered if Mark could keep the interest going for me with "Wild Goose Chase." I wasn't disappointed! He surpassed my expectations with another amazingly inspirational message that is ideal for believers at any age or stage of the journey. I have given copies of this book to my kids as well as to many of my friends who want more out of life and need a fresh perspective of God's ways and plans for anyone willing to get in on the chase. Mark is tops at communicating the joy, passion, and excitement of apprehending the surrendered Christian life. I can't wait for his next book!