Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 331-340 of 10,487 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13,098 reviews
on June 29, 2014
This is an excellent story about courage and honesty. C. Strayed detailed this portion of her life so well that I feel I could meet her on the street like old friends and pick up where she ended her story. I was amused at all the mistakes she made but she didn't give up and completed her spiritual journey. I wouldn't encourage my grandchildren to make such a trip alone and without any protection. She surely had a guardian angel looking out for her. She had me really worried about her safety more than once. There are several issues she works out along the way, almost too many from a man's perspective. A real worry wart but that is probably just me. I liked the parts where she longed to have someone near she could feel, not just for sex but to satisfy that deep need all humans crave after so long alone. It was a good read.
on October 27, 2015
I found this book a journey for someone trying to regain oneself after loss of someone in their lives. How one action can begin a domino effect and how sometimes you need to just walk away alone and regain balance with yourself and nature, and push yourself outside your comfort zones. Cheryl does this everyday on the PCT and not until years later does the impact of this journey reveal itself to her.

Great read!
on August 15, 2016
The movie was good. The book filled in the details. I felt like I was along for the trip. It was an easy read. It proves women can do whatever they set their minds to.
on July 30, 2015
Wild is the story of Cheryl Strayed’s incredible journey on the Pacific Crest Trail. I really enjoyed the descriptions of the trail and her experience hiking it alone. What an incredible adventure! She described the beauty and joy of being alone. Just when I found myself thinking how I would like to do that, too, she describes the pain, cold, and fear during the trip. I am happy just living it vicariously through her! Unfortunately, I ended up not liking Cheryl Strayed the person. That tainted the book for me and is why I only gave it 3 stars. In spite of that, I would still like to see the movie now that I am done with the book.
on November 30, 2014
I found myself thinking of Cheryl as a heroine and voice for all women. I've only walked/hiked a little over 400 miles of the AT. I was with three other guys. We started out full of excitement and BS not realizing the magnitude of our undertaking. Two of us were letter carriers and two of us were "desk jockeys". After a week two dropped out and two continue on our trek. Guess which ones continued. My friend and I, having the mailman inside of us pushed forward. The PCT, after reading Cheryl's account sounds tougher and more thought provoking. If you ever have thought about long distance hiking whether you are a man or a woman, you would best be advised to read this book first to learn the highs and lows. My admiration goes out to Cheryl Strayed.
on December 25, 2014
I did not like the author. I found her to be self absorbed and annoying. In some ways she was prepared for her hike (ie. Sending replenishment boxes to the post offices along the trail) but in the packing of her backpack, not going on practice hikes, and not learning how to use some of her equipment just made me think she was stupid. I realize her mother died young but death is a part of life. Frankly just deal with it. Her mother dying did not make her special. Back to my opening statement, I didn't like the author so i didn't like the book.
on August 27, 2017
I think that all of us have felt a call to do something brave, heroic and maybe a little crazy. So few of us do. This author did and it was so much fun to go along with her.
on December 7, 2014
Real believable memories of the hiking, the kinship among hikers, the challenges of long distance hiking, the value of enduring it and learning to enjoy it. So hard but so important to minimize what you carry but have enough to be safe & healthy. Such a learning curve to survive your teens & twenties to move on into your mature years with the right partner, family, community. And then coast into older years with great memories, attitudes, & relationships. So much pain & chaos on other paths, like finding your way thru a clear cut forest landscape... Thanks Cheryl !

ps: Highly recommend a few years of Crossfit workouts before you go distance hiking, whatever your age. Will really help you enjoy the trail & life in general!
on August 29, 2014
I like this book. I read it because my Daughter who is 22 wants to hike this trail. She will not be doing it alone. She will be going with here boy friend. And I hope they carry a taser. I encouraged my child to read this book. She now calls me after each chapter. I like the authors style of writing. This book kept me interested. Im hoping the movies that is due out soon will be true to the book.
One other reason for reading the book is that my daughters boyfriend lost his mother at the age of 20. This books gives insight to what it is like to loose a parent so young.
It is about Grieving for a mother. It is about the lost of self, and others in the aftermath of that parents death. Then at the end being at peace, and feeling well about ones self. It is a Journey
on July 9, 2012
This is a book that was chosen for my book club. I thought it would be one of those typical "journey of a woman" books that are so popular with book clubs, but it is so much more. It is the story of a young woman who basically falls apart after the death of her mother. She has such a hard time keeping it together after this great loss, that she ends up losing her husband and her family too. She decides to hike the Pacific Coast Trail, an extreme hiking trail 1100 miles long, although she is alone, ill-prepared and has never hiked before. The journey in this book is both figurative and literal. It is exciting, thought provoking, sad, scary and exhilarating. Certainly not your typical "woman's book." I highly recommend it. To my surprise, I couldn't put it down.