Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Wild Pacific [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on October 12, 2015
I saw part of this documentary on TV, and knew I had to have it! It did not disappoint! Once again, BBC worked it's magic! You learn about the people and animals. I loved the music, narration, and camera shots! It is right up there with Blue Planet and Planet Earth! I wish they sold a soundtrack! I would buy it in an instant!
3 helpful votes
on March 16, 2017
Get all the BBC nature series.
on July 16, 2009
Wild Pacific is another excellent BBC documentary. This 2-disc set features six episodes. Wild Pacific covers the remote islands in the Pacific Ocean, the wildlife on the islands, the formation of the islands, the sea life, and the problems man has created. The video quality on the Blu-Ray is very good. The sound quality is disappointing. I don't understand why a new documentary would have a Dolby Digital 2.0 sound mix. I had to take a star off for the sound. Overall, if you like the other BBC documentaries such as Planet Earth and Galapagos, you will definitely like this release.

*UPDATE*

As the other reviewer noted about the sound, this Blu-Ray is indeed DTS-MA 5.1. I was watching the documentary in 2.0 since my receiver was defaulting to stereo sound. I watched an episode in the DTS 5.1 track and this by far, is the best sounding BBC documentary on Blu-Ray. The packaging is mislabeled as stereo sound.
31 helpful votes
32 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on September 3, 2010
I own BBC's Planet Earth, Life, Nature's Most Amazing Events, and Wild Pacific. All of them are enjoyable. Life used some footage from the other series. Wild Pacific is my favorite out of the BBC Blue Ray discs that I own. The video and sound are just fabulous. If you love beautiful natural scenes and are curious about the South Pacific then this disc will appeal to you. My only regret is that the series is not as long as Planet Earth. They could have covered Samoa, Tahiti, Fiji, and the other islands in more detail.
9 helpful votes
10 helpful votes
on May 26, 2017
Nice
on November 19, 2013
I was watching this on TV and thought that I should buy it on BluRay just because the colors would probably be better, boy was I right!!! I love watching everything in HD and when the BBC does a documentary, they do it right!!! All of their work is fantastic, picture quality, sound and ideas on what to show!! You can never go wrong with any BluRay quality from the British, great job on the whole presentation. My wife always wonders why I buy BluRays or DVDs, it is because I love watching a good program with absolute great picture quality!!!! If you love to watch docs, this is a very good one and I highly recommend it!!!!
on April 15, 2010
This review is for most everyone else out there. I'm NOT a videofile so sifting through the barely discernable minutia of digital high def technical mertis and / or pitfalls is not my forte. The disc looked great on my plasma from start to finish, even the underwater footage. And Speaking of footage, there were many UNMATCHED camera shots here, even comapred to BBC's magnum opus, Planet Earth. I found the narration fine. As far as editing, the chapter selection needed some re-organization but as far as complaining about how long shots were held on someone's personal wish list? come on. Let's face it, after Planet Earth, it's hard for any nature program not to seem redundant, yet you don't feel that here. The human element as described clearly leaves the viewer with a new appreciation in some areas and a return to reality in others. So no - it's not all about critters, it's a better over view on ALL the elements influencing this previously poorly understood area of the planet.
18 helpful votes
19 helpful votes
on July 13, 2014
I love traveling around the South Pacific while sitting on my sofa.
I can't yet afford to travel there often, well, other than one or two trips each year, so this is the next best I can do.
on February 20, 2016
Can't wait to get this...I ordered the blu ray with Benedict Cumberbatch as the narrator, as his voice is unmatched in my opinion. Can't go wrong with documentary by bbc.
on October 16, 2012
I had read a lot of reviews of this set and detected mixed emotions among many reviewers. Normally BBC nature productions set the standard though so I went ahead and bought it as the mighty Pacific has always fascinated me. I was not disappointed.

In reviewing this series, I think it's important to mention that Wild Pacific, which ran on the Discovery Channel, is the same series as South Pacific which ran on BBC and BBC America if I recall, depending on which version anyone here might have seen. I think the Discovery version was cut a little different but was basically the same. In either case, what a show it is.

Wild Pacific is cut into 6 parts, each covering a different aspect of the Pacific Ocean. The first episode explores the fact that there are indeed so many islands, thousands in fact. The second deciphers how animals and plants made it to all of these isolated places. The third documents the immense diversity of the Pacific, perhaps the most important eco-system in the world. The fourth episode is about the role of volcanoes in the Pacific, the so called "Ring of Fire". In episode five, the focus is on the unique animals and plants that exist on only one or two islands in the Pacific and nowhere else. Finally, episode six discusses how fragile the Pacific is and what kind of trouble it faces from overfishing, global warming and other threats.

This series does not cover every aspect in depth but it covers a lot of information, provides amazing photographic documentation of the subjects covered and brings tears to the eye at times with the beauty of places most of us can only dream of. It is in a word, astonishing.

Good is always mixed with bad and this documentary is no different. You get to see some amazing things but always, the threat of annihilation never seems to be far away at any point whether the threat is directly from people or from the changing world or just from the fact that only existing in one place and in such small numbers makes a species vulnerable from the start. You truly get to see how amazing and how fragile the mighty Pacific is. God's handy work I call it.

Some reviewers complained that this video series talked too much about people and not enough about the wild life. I politely disagree because in the case of the Pacific, humans have had a monumental impact on what they found there as they colonized it and this can teach us many important lessons. Some cultures have learned to live sustainably in their island and coastal homes, whereas others totally destroyed their local environment and themselves with it. We can learn a lot about what we should and should not do to ensure our own survival and that of the world around us.

In brief, if you never buy another BBC documentary series buy this one. It teaches so many different things and shows some of the most stunning scenery of places you can only imagine that you will never see for yourself. Truly, it is an astonishing place that no words can do credit. Thank you for reading and please enjoy the blue, blue waters and sandy vistas that await you.
6 helpful votes