|Print List Price:||$9.99|
Save $6.00 (60%)
Your Memberships & Subscriptions
Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Learn more
Read instantly on your browser with Kindle Cloud Reader.
Using your mobile phone camera - scan the code below and download the Kindle app.
Enter your mobile phone or email address
By pressing "Send link," you agree to Amazon's Conditions of Use.
You consent to receive an automated text message from or on behalf of Amazon about the Kindle App at your mobile number above. Consent is not a condition of any purchase. Message & data rates may apply.
Wild Things: Four Tales (Douglas Clegg Short Story Collections) Kindle Edition
From award-winning and New York Times bestselling author Douglas Clegg comes a special quartet of stories dealing with creatures of the wild— wolf, bird, and the most terrifying of beasts: the human variety.
Suspense and Horror Tales
- In "The Wolf" a hunter guides a younger man up a mountain to track down the creature that has been slaughtering in the valley below.
- "The American" takes place at a late-night cafe in Rome where foreigners gather. On this particular night a stranger steps out of the shadowy park to sit at the sidewalk tables and speak of love and murder.
- In "A Madness of Starlings," a father, teaching his children about protection from the predators of life, takes in a fledgling bird. But when it's time for the bird to fly away, the forces of nature come undone and a secret wisdom and terror enter the mind of the one who understands the language of birds.
- , In the novellette, "The Dark Game," a war hero and his men are captured and taken into a prison camp. There, tortures and torments await them, but the man named Gordon Raglan begins to use a childhood game of escape to help him discover a way to hunt the wolves surrounding him.
Books by Douglas Clegg
The Children’s Hour
Dark of the Eye
The Hour Before Dark
You Come When I Call You
The Nightmare Chronicles
The Machinery of Night
Praise for Douglas Clegg's Fiction
"Douglas Clegg knows exactly what scares us, and he knows just how to twist those fears into hair-raising chills..." - Tess Gerritsen, New York Times bestselling author of the Rizzoli & Isles series.
— John Saul, bestselling author of Faces of Fear and The Devil's Labyrinth.
"Douglas Clegg has become the new star in horror fiction."
— Peter Straub
author of Ghost Story and the NY Times Bestseller Black House (with Stephen King)
"Clegg is one of the best!"
— Richard Laymon
"Douglas Clegg is a weaver of nightmares!"
— Robert R. McCammon
Tags: collections, anthologies, psychological, suspense, horror, thrillers, short stories, murder, wolf, war, prisoner, dark game.
From Publishers Weekly
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
- ASIN : B0039UUTK4
- Publisher : Alkemara Press (February 21, 2010)
- Publication date : February 21, 2010
- Language : English
- File size : 3409 KB
- Simultaneous device usage : Unlimited
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Screen Reader : Supported
- Enhanced typesetting : Enabled
- X-Ray : Not Enabled
- Word Wise : Enabled
- Print length : 146 pages
- Page numbers source ISBN : 1944668306
- Lending : Enabled
- Best Sellers Rank: #811,836 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
However, the final story, The Dark Game really had some bite to it and was quite effective. It was an eye-popping, visceral, and wonderfully structured story. Fortunately, The Dark Game is the longest of the collection and I'm glad they saved the best for last. Here is the full rundown in my opinion...
THE WOLF - 2 stars
A MADNESS OF STARLINGS - 3 stars
THE AMERICAN - 2 stars
THE DARK GAME - 4 stars