BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 22, 2011
I'm not quite sure what a "reluctant reader" is, but apparently it is generally a male reader who has to have a lot of farts in the books he reluctantly reads. Understood this way, books for reluctant readers are usually dopey books with lots of incoherent poop/booger/fart/snot references. That's certainly what I learned from the Captain Underpants books, which I think are practically unreadable.
Which brings us to the Wiley aqnd Grampa books. They do have an occasional reference to farts, or boogers, or at least smells and messes.
However, they also have imaginative plots, funny dialogue, and a loopy upbeat tone. Wiley and his Grampa have a wonderful dynamic as they team up time and again to save their town from some threat.
And, as an added bonus, there are usually some very sly and very funny throwaways in the detailed illustrations, and some very subtle and entertaining observations in the narrative.
So, I guess this is sort of the thinking man's fart/booger book, and as such it is a worthy entertainment.
on May 1, 2012
This book is more directed at younger kids, but I am 16, and still enjoy the endless humour in this book. The illustrations are great, and there are a ton of inside jokes that you would understand only if you've read all 10 of wiley and Grampa's creature features! The book is simple, easy read, and focuses entirely on entertainment. Kirk Scroggs is the best in the buisness when it comes to writing short, comedic graphic novels for kids. (Well, it's not exactly a graphic novel, but there are illustrations on every page and they take a up a big part of the book)
on February 1, 2017
Great book
on July 13, 2010
My five year-old son (an early reader) loves these books. He's been through all the Captain Underpants books, and I didn't think we'd find another series he enjoyed as much. But these books are a huge hit! Lots of illustrations, and just his level of humor. My only complaint is that they are so short - he's almost made it through the series already.
on January 28, 2008
Kirk! I finally got some of your books. Don't ask me why it took so long. I have no idea, but my daughter is reading now (not yet this advanced) and it reminded me that you were publishing some. These are fantastic! I will be scrutinizing every detail in search of familiar cameos. Hope you are doing well and I am honored to have learned so much from you so long ago. -Brian
on October 8, 2012
My son who is a picky reader loves this book and after completion will purchase more from this series .. I love it when he finds books that keep him entertained and laughing throughout..would recommend to any preteen my son is 8 years old.
on February 21, 2013
My grandson love monster truck and r l stine, so this book is a stunning mix of favorite things. Plus, this as far from the grandfather he has as can be imagined so he looks at his grandfather when reading and just laughs.
on May 29, 2015
what i expected.
on September 15, 2008
Just got a few of this series for my 8 year old and he is reading about 1 a day and has asked for more of them. They are admittedly short but my son has been a resistant reader and loves these!! So keep them coming!!
on September 28, 2006
I am so happy I picked up this book. I have read to my 6-year-old son every night of his life, and about a year ago I realized he never listened to a word I said. I was very confused..I mean I loved books as a kid. How could he not? Well anyway, I started searching for the book that would captivate him. I tried everything imaginable--every kind of kid's book from every genre. Well, a couple of weeks ago I picked this book up at Borders because it was a chapter book with lots of illustrations and because it had a halloween theme (just in time for the holiday). We started reading it and two nights ago I almost had a heart attack when, after reading a chapter, Trevor (my son) said, "Let's keep reading, mom." Then when we finished another chapter and I told him it was really, really time for bed he complained, "Aaw mom, that's all we're going to read?" I almost started crying. I am so thankful I found this book.

The book itself is really funny and fast-paced. Trevor never was bored because the book moved so quickly. I can't wait to purchase the other two books.