Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on November 28, 2012
I think that for those who create art pices or develop characters in fiction, is a mandatory topic to understand the nature of their characters, in the case of the boy when there is a transition from a child to a teeen ager then a very little pause that continious with the manhood and this adolescence is what it really obsesse Mc Bride to the point of making you understand the importance of growing as a independent and complete human being, theres moments where you could see diferent portraits of the same boy since he was 10 to the age of 18, looking how the personality change depending in what the person is passing thru, I feel there was a missing in Mc Bride Cientific Naturalism journey, specially when he start to built a group of sculptures in Berlin, Germany to ilustrate the heavy moments in Europen and World Colture specificately the Downfall of the Berlin Wal, beutifull, personal, tender, emotional, strong as the coming of age.
on August 30, 2012
It is my first photoalbum by Will Mcbride. For along time I had been hesitating to buy it.
With a first quick look though all the photos I already knew it's certainly not an only cover-photo album. With every page I was more and more impressed by the author's astonishing work. Feels like the photos actually express the very moment of changing with irrepressible sexuality, and bodies no longer of a child, just as well as not yet of an adult. The inscriptions next to the photos reveal additional messages and make a sort of background picture of the photo. Each and every picture tells different stories but incorporate the same: power of love and sexuality, school restraint, understanding identity, freedom of a man, all that makes the photos unforgettable.
on February 11, 2013
The cover is the best picture this book has to offer. Most of the pictures date back many years. There is not one picture that I would consider interesting or pretty. Coming of Age is a wonderful and complex time of a young man's life.
This book deals with nothing of that sort. There are other books out there that truly show the joys of youth.
It's your choice, but I wish I had not bought it.
on January 2, 2001
In no particular order, Will McBride presents to us a vision of childhood and youth, exposing its innocence, ennui, pride, exhuberance, despair and its loss. At first glance, this book may appear to be just a collection of portraits of boys in a variety of situations: some nude, some at play, some with family, some lost in their own thoughts. But in each photograph, McBride has managed to capture those emotions I listed, and more. None of the nudity is contrived nor is it exploitative. In some you can see the diffidence and anxiety in the subject, while in others you can see a nonchalance in the boy's posture exposing what? Trust in the photographer? Or the cynicism born out of some other, previous experience?
An excellent collection created by a photographer with an exceptional eye.
on February 11, 2015
good
on March 12, 2007
This book was ok. It was not what I expected it to be and hoped for more pictures and more in depth study of the subjects. It was a wide generalized pictoral/essay. I dont think I would buy the book again. The front cover was very nice but not much else in it.
on December 17, 2004
I ordered this book at Amazon's recommendation, I suppose the recommendation was based in the fact that I've bought lots of books on photography in the past and that I have bought several gay-themed novels and movies.

So my thinking was that this was a book, while maybe not instructional in nature, at least containing several good examples of capturing the young male form on film.

Some of the photos are very well done and interesting (like the one on the cover and the matador and his family).

As others have said, the photos of Indian boys are somewhat out of place, as you are flipping through the book you tend to think "did I miss something here? Is this the beginning of another book?"

One other thing that bugs me is this; While this book does certainly fall in the category of art and the images are artistic in nature I'll just say that if investigator's found this book at Michael Jackson's house they would cheer and exclaim "case closed!" .. there are far too many photos of naked, pre-pubescent boys in the book for my liking ... that's not what I bought it for. What does a naked 5 year old have to do with "Coming Of Age"?.
on September 9, 2007
I made the mistake of ordering this book without reading any reviews. I too was expecting a book about teens becoming men but was very disturbed by see naked children fill its pages. Maybe it's just me but I don't find that kind of art appealing. I emailed the seller and asked if i could return this item and was never replied too.