Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Noah Gundersen PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 772 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,139 reviews
on June 17, 2017
The item was as expected and rrived quickly. I love this movie. I watched it years ago so was thrilled to find it on dvd. The story is cute. A nice fantasy. I never realised that George Lucas wrote this story as well as taking part in it's production.
on March 14, 2012
Willow is a Nelwyn (small person) farmer and aspiring wizard. His children find a baby on the river banks and the village decides the next day that Willow and a team should head into the world of the Daikini (standard sized people - I apologize, I don't know what term to use) to return the baby to her people. The first person the team finds is Madmartigan, a warrior, who has been imprisoned in a large cage. They free him in exchange for his promise to take the baby to a woman who would care for it. Thus starts the journey of Willow and Madmartigan to return the baby, defeat an evil witch and her army, return a good witch to her human form, escape trolls, find love, return home, and inspire the people of their lands.

I love this movie. I have since I was a child and first saw it, I loved it through all the re-runs on HBO in my teens, and I love it today. It's a simple story of love, selflessness, self-belief, and good vs. evil. I've loved this so much that, for a book report I had to do in 7th grade, I read the book and created a newspaper, complete with Bavmorda's obituary - I believe it was titled "Ding, Dong, the Witch is Dead" - I was quite creative back then.

The storyline isn't unique; I've seen better sword fights in the Highlander, better special effects in Syfy's Dr. Who, better acting in Murder She Wrote, and I'm pretty sure that my 5th grade music class could write a better score. BUT, just like The Neverending Story,Lucas,Red Sonja, and The Goonies, it holds a special place in my heart.

On top of being a simple, fun story about triumphing over the things that would hold you down, the movie is a delightful foray into a lush, magical fantasy land. I don't recall any bad language, but there is some content that might be a bit graphic for children: Madmartigan is found in a brothel at one point, some of the scenes with Bavmorda and/or the trolls might be a bit scary for younger children, and there are fight scenes in which soldiers are mortally wounded. As Willow is a small person, there is a bit of name calling - the Daikini's call Nelwyn's "Pecks", but Willow, like any underdog hero, rises above the derisive nicknames of others to prove himself to be more than worthy of their respect.

If you've never seen the movie and has a fondness for David and Goliath stories, I highly recommend it.
on February 12, 2015
I waited a little more than a month to get my movie. It was supposed to be here about a week ago, but it never got here. To my surprise tonight though, Willow was finally in my mailbox! I already have the Blu Ray edition of Willow from 2013, but bought this for the fact of, being a big fan of Willow, I heard there was commentary by Warwick on this edition and, honestly bought it just to hear what he had to say. It was amazing. I laughed quite a bit and it was just bottom line really good. I loved the difference in the main menu from my other Willow movie too. How it had the Nelwyn village in the background from one shot and Willow moving across the screen from another shot. All in all it was amazing. It took a while to get here but at this point I honestly can't complain. It was totally worth it. :) If you love Willow, you'll love this Special Edition of it! And if you don't know about Willow, I'd recommend it to anyone.
VINE VOICEon February 9, 2012
While I love 80s films, I'm embarrassed to say I never saw Willow until recently. The idea to use Warwick Davis as the star hero and the whole race of "little people" was inspired. It adds a flair of fantasy to the film that wouldn't have been possible otherwise before computer-generated graphics (even in the Lord of the Rings getting the Hobbits small required a lot of tricks). Davis himself was a superb actor; even though he was only 17 at the time he conveys a mix of weariness and care that propels him on the adventure.

That said, unlike some films from the era, Willow has aged. The special effects for this movie are a bit dated, particularly in the creatures department (the two-headed beast's jaws look plastic). There are also a few corny moments that passed muster in the 1980s but seem odd today (particularly the romance scenes!). The villains are pretty forgettable as well.

Still, these are part of the package with 1980s movies, the charm and the corny effects. Overall, Willow has far more charm than corn. It is definitely an 80s fantasy film classic and still probably one of the better non-franchise fantasy films out there (i.e., excluding Lord of the Rings and Narnia).

UPDATE (March 16, 2013): I watched the blu-ray version and it looks a lot better. The special effects don't look nearly so dated. They're old, but they don't stick out. I think the rest of my review still holds up. It's a fun movie and the heroes are great, but the villains are mediocre. The first third of the film is a wonderful exercise in world-building but the last half I think tries to tell too much too quickly. Still, definitely recommended for fantasy fans.
on July 17, 2013
I grew up watching Willow, it was one of my favorite movies. In the summer, my mom would drop my brother and me along with a couple of our friends off at the cheap theater on the Navy base while she would hit up the commissary and run any other errands she had on her list where we would be bothersome. I always loved when Willow was the featured show.
Now, I get an HD version of it right in my own living room and can share the experience with my kids. However, and the only reason I am not giving this five stars, is that I wish the discs had more special features, specifically commentary and making-of video. It contains a couple of deleted scenes I was thrilled to see, but I would have thought a more extensive making-of could have been assembled given the amount of time the movie has been out.
Regardless, if you love adventure movies, this is on the must-see list.
on May 5, 2015
A lovely film, on any level. Great for kids to understand the differences among people, as well as the good vs evil stuff. Ron Howard knows how to make a good film, and his attention to detail is impressive. "Willow" wasn't a huge hit when released, but awards committees rewarded its effects and sets 'n stuff. Who cares? It's a great ride, and Warwick Davis is a commanding lead character. Val Kilmer and Joanne Whalley handle the romance end of things, and the wonderful Jean Marsh is the meanest of evil villains. I don't have kids, but I'm pleased to have this Blu in my collection. My inner child is so entertained.

BTW: Kilmer and Whalley met and married because of "Willow".
on July 16, 2016
Great fantasy. It has magicians, witches, sorcerers, sword fighters, little people, and a baby. The baby is the subject of a prediction. The baby is destined to destroy the evil queen. The evil queen sends her minions to destroy the baby and the queen's daughter, the sword fighter and Willow, try to protect the baby. In an effort to protect her they must find another witch that has been turned to an animal and turn her back to a witch. They have a lot of action packed adventures in their quest.
on January 2, 2014
This movie was awesome. It was the fist fantasy live action epic of it's kind, and thanks to Ron Howard and George Lucas and the work they did with special effects in that movie, It paved the way for movies like the ring trilogies, Terminator 2, The abyss. They invented the the technology of morphing just for this movie. While the blue screens are nothing in comparison to today, They are the beginnings of greatness, and quite good for a beginning I might add. Again, like my other ratings, I'm not gonna tell you what the story is about in detail, But Their are wizards and dragons and trolls and brownies and fairies and sword play galore and dwarfs. Yes enough dwarfs for the whole family to enjoy. Its very family oriented for the modern day family. There is no swearing, The romance is innocent if not cheesy,, and The adventure levels are through the roof.
on October 2, 2014
I am VERY satisfied with my DVD W-I-L-L-O-W !!! It arrived quickly with just standard shipping,,,and it came all the way from
the UK !!! Even though I bought it as used it came as good as a brand new one !!! It was still wrapped in factory plastic !!!
I couldn't be more satisfied if I tried !!! And I just LOVE all the little people showing the World that They CAN do
ANYTHING us so called normal sized People can do ,and They can do some things us normal sized cant do as well !! My hats
off to Ron Howard and All the Actors and Actresses ,,,,and Especially to Amazon.com for providing Me with Quality products
at GREAT prices !!
Sincerely Yours,
Jerry P.
on July 2, 2017
There are scenes that are clearly not remastered and look dated, but overall it looks good and this movie seems ridiculously hard to find.