Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School

on October 20, 2000
As a child of about 6 or 7, my parents got me Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree. I would make my mom read it to me over and over as well as hearing "Captain Kangaroo" read it every year on his show. Now, I am a 41 year old mother of three, and I still have my original copy, as well as copies for my three children and am ordering a copy for my brand new nephew. Reading Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree has become a family tradition at my house. Of course, I don't have to read it - I have been able to recit it word for word for years!! This is a wonderful "snuggle up with a child in your arms" book that you will enjoy reading for years. Maybe it will become a family tradition at your house too!
on May 15, 1999
I loved this book as a child and am still enchanted today! My children want me to read it year round. Five stars are not enough for this book. Not only is the story entertaining, but it teaches recyclying on a young childs level. If you want a book to pass down through many generations, I strongly recommend Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree!
on November 4, 2000
As many of the other reviewers, I loved this story as a child. I am one of 8 children, though, and as our childhood books were being given to us as adults, the only copy we owned went to one of my older sisters who originally owned it. For years the rest of us have been searching in vain to find copies for ourselves, and I was tickled pink today to discover that it has been re-printed! It is a classic tale of the spirit of Christmas that will forever be my favorite Christmas story. I have already emailed my siblings to let them know the good news, and I intend to get copies for my nieces and nephews this year! You'll be making a great choice if you select this book!
on April 16, 2004
I just received this book, I had never heard of it and one day I was cruising amazon like I do just about everyday and I came across this book. Based upon the reviews I decided to order it and see for myself. It's a wonderful story, I love how that one Christmas tree wound up being a part of so many peoples and animals christmas. It starts off with Mr Willowby having his Christmas tree delivered and the tree is too tall for the room .So the butler cuts off the top and gives it to the upstairs maid for her to use as her Christmas tree, the tree is too tall for her also , so she cuts off the top and the gardener takes it home to be his tree ,and so on and so on it goes until the very last little tip winds up in a mouses house. It is a very nice enjoyable story for both children and adults, nicely illustrated ,and it just makes you feel good. One of the nicest Christmas stories I have read in a long time.
on November 10, 2001
"Mr Willowby's Christmas tree/Came by special delivery./Full and fresh and glistening green-/The biggest tree he had ever seen." So big, in fact that when it stood in place in the parlor, it not only touched the ceiling but "bent like a bow." Mr Willowby realized that something must be done, and had his butler, Baxter, chop off the top. And what happens to that tree top, makes for a wonderful and endearing Christmas story..... Originally published in 1963, Mr Willowby's Christmas Tree is just as fresh and magical today, as it was all those years ago. Robert Barry's rhyming text is lyrical and joyous, and complemented by his delightful and expressive artwork. Perfect for youngsters 3-8, this is a charming and simple treasure of a book that really captures the holiday spirit, and is a lovely read-aloud story the entire family will want to share again and again, year after year.
on February 5, 1999
I am 29 years old and have never forgotten the story of Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree. I cherished the book as a child and have a special place in my heart for it still today. This book is enjoyable to read any time of year not only at Christmas. I enjoy giving hardcover versions of my favorite childhood stories as treasured gifts. This book deserves more than 5 stars. I do not wish to give a summary of this story, but encourage you to please read and ENJOY!!!
on April 26, 2011
I have loved this book since I was only a few months old. It's been a favorite all through childhood, being the first book I memorized and read, the first book I read to my baby brother, the one I had read to me every night, the one I still have memorized at 25, and just had to buy another copy of. When I was little, my very first phrase was "read the book" as I handed Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree to my grandma. I tracked this down for my cousins when they came along after I was a teen, and gave them copies, and it's a favorite in our family. The simple rhymes are wonderful, the story is heart-warming, and the illustrations are too cute! My favorite part about it, now that I'm older, is the introduction of a few higher vocabulary words, such as haste, glistening, magnificent and alternate meanings for words like padding (walking), and trim (decoration). It also teaches things like conservation, innovation, and perseverance. Definitely going to be the first book I read to my child one day!
on March 14, 2016
We added this book to our Christmas countdown reading this year. It may be a little young for my boys (15 and 10), but it was still enjoyable. The graphics we bright and cheery which is always great. The story line was a nice one with nothing going to waste and other beings able to enjoy what someone else doesn't need. The hard part for me and my boys was that it was very weird to have someone cut the top of the tree off when it's too tall instead of the bottom. Also the size of the tree didn't really change for the middle 4-5 people that were cutting sections off. Younger kids may not have noticed this slight oversight, but mine did. It was still a fun story for the holiday season as many families were able to enjoy the sections of tree that Mr. Willowby didn't need.

If it wasn't for the tree issues, I would have given this one 5 stars.
on November 29, 2014
Excellent Christmas tale about a man who buys a tree that is too tall, so he cuts off the top and gives it away, the next person cuts off a little more and gives it away etc. My 6 yr. daughter loves this book because you keep waiting to find who is the final person or animal to get a piece of the tree. I love it because the artwork is beautiful. I have the 2000 hardcover edition and it's very sturdy. I also like it because there is no dust jacket to rip, the picture is the actual cover of the book.
on December 13, 2003
Well, I rememeber this book from when I was a kid. It is fitting that those families who found the top of Mr. Willoby's tree thought of it as a gift, not something that had to be bought. I made sure I had a copy of this book for my daughter to grow up with. I love Mr. Willoby's Christmas Tree