Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 140 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 157 reviews
on February 7, 2011
This is a great set! I'm delighted with it and already making professional looking cakes and cupcakes. Even my 5 year old is getting in the action and makes things look nice. It's perfect for a beginner but the tips are varied and inclusive enough to go the distance; I expect I will use this for many years very happily without needing anything else (except more bags!).

It includes all the pieces I was looking at in two of the other starter kits from Wilton PLUS a decorating triangle and spatula. It also includes the 1M and "Bismark tip" that people seem to rave about in reviews for other sets. I offer detail below since the product description seems scant.

Specifically, set includes 6 tips ...

ROUND TIP 5 (fine point, outlines, printing, writing)
ROUND TIP 12 (big outlines, dots)
STAR TIP 22 (stars, shells, zig zags, rosettes)
STAR TIP 1M (rosettes, stars, drop flowers)
BISMARK TIP 230 (fill delicious cupcakes and eclairs)
LEAF TIP 352 (dainty leaves and ornate borders)

plus a "DECORATING TRIANGLE" that is a cool tool with contours to drag across sides (or top) to make a even, professional looking pattern finish. Of course, the triangle offers three contour choices. (See more here: Wilton Triangular Cake Decorating Comb)

and an 8" SPATULA,

and 4 ICING COLORS (Golden Yellow, Rose Petal, Royal Blue, Leaf Green).

Everything else is as described: two standard COUPLERS to hold the tips if you want to change tips with same bag of frosting; 10" PROFESSIONAL BAG (washable); and 8 12" DISPOSABLE BAGS.

Love it. Enjoy!
44 comments| 196 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2011
The item is definitely a beginners set, however, it contains all one really needs to simply make beautifully designed cupcakes and cakes. If you buy anything else with more pieces, then you are seriously dedicated to creating a masterpiece. This set was more than enough for me and fun to use as a college student baking with roommates. It's a great price for what you get!
on April 4, 2013
This set is pretty nice and has a lot of different tips to choose from. I had a lot of fun experimenting with them, though I haven't been able to replicate some of the designs yet. Hopefully that will come with more practice.

Like many of the reviews said, this set does not include the large coupler for the larger tips. Technically, you don't really need it, but I feel more comfortable with it. I was able to find it at Joann's for about $1.79 (not too bad, right?).

My first experience with the dyes didn't go so well. It advertises that with just a little bit of dye, you'll get vibrant colors but it wasn't the case for me. My cream cheese frosting stayed cream colored. I will try again, but I imagine that one of the pros of this sort of dye is that your stuff doesn't get diluted (like with food coloring). I think that was one of the problems I had when I tried making colored macarons in the past.

The reusable piping bag is pretty small, but the disposable ones are okay. I still went out to buy a larger one just because I think it'll be easier for me.

Overall, I think it's a great starter set for beginner bakers who want to decorate their goods. It's a good price and has some great items, but other purchases would probably be need to made for a more serious baker.
on February 3, 2011
This is a very nice decorating set for someone who is new to cake/pastry decorating! It has plenty of fun tools to get started! I bought this for my wife for her Birthday and she loves it, I love it too because now she bakes a lot more! YUM!
on March 23, 2013
The 10" piping bag is too small to be of much use. First, when you insert the tip into the bag you need to twist the bag to prevent stuff coming out when you are filling the bag. Then after you fill the bag, you need to twist the top of the bag. These two action roughly took away 5 inches of the bag, leaving it very awkward to use.

The food color are easy to use. Remember that it is gel color, more concentrated than FOOD COLORING you can find in the local grocery store.
on November 16, 2012
If your just getting into decorating and your not sure what you need this is a good package to get. Or if your like me and loose everything and need a basic package replacement it is also a good choice. I thought for some reason there were more bags but just so you know (in case you didn't read the break down like I should have) there is only 1 bag and a couple disposable ones. Tips are the basic ones I use when doing fancy cupcakes and cakes, very user friendly. Wish I would have come across this set when I first started getting into decorating would have saved me a bundle!
on March 17, 2011
It is a great beginner to intermediate kit. It has some basic tips and the disposable baggies are great. My only problem was with the food coloring. I was making blue frosting and only needed a little bit of the blue and the thing completely fell out into my batter. But I quickly scooped it out and all was well (I think it was just because of the shipping and it settled wrong). Also, the grooved triangle is kind of useless. It's very flimsy, but wasn't a big deal for me because I don't need it, but other than that, this product is a great price and great quality.
on August 20, 2012
As a college student who recently became more interested in baking (specifically cupcakes), this Wilton decorating set has been a blast to use. I used to just make simple cupcakes and frost them normally with a knife, and then I became more ambitious and began cutting off the tips of ziploc bags and filling them with icing to pipe them onto the cupcakes. After I became annoyed doing that, I decided to take the plunge and buy a kit like this. I'm so happy I did! It comes with several different tips, most of which I use. It comes with both reusable and disposable piping bags, and I find that I can reuse the disposable ones if I wash them thoroughly enough. The included instructions really helped clear up anything I was confused about, too. I'm so glad I got this set... I have so much fun experimenting with piping on different shapes and sizes in frosting!
on October 17, 2014
I have loved this! The instructions tell you all you need to know to get started. I had zero experience but have made some very pretty cupcakes with the different tips. Definitely a good starter set.
on April 29, 2014
This set is great for a small time decorator or one whose learning to decorate. This set comes with great quality tips you would see in a bakery, they are very sturdy and quality made. The flat billed frosting knife is rather small, so takes a little bit longer to frost a cake cleanly, but is also quality made and durable. This set comes with frosting bags, the disposable ones are very nice and Wilton quality and the reusable one is nice and works nice, but the downsides are its rather small and can't frost a dozen cupcakes without refill, also it has gotten stained by food coloring so it is a different off shade now. The cake comb is simple and has room for improvement. One other nice thing was in the box it came in it came with a pamphlet telling how to do different techniques and cake designs. I rated this 4 out of 5 due to it could be improved and come with more items compared to other kits, but its Wilton so it could be worth it in the long run. So overall great but has room for improvement.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.