Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary (Diary of a Wimpy Kid)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on March 12, 2011
This book is about how they made the Diary of a Wimpy Kid book into a movie. It explains how many people and work it takes to put together a movie. It also includes a lot of behind-the-scenes photos and scripts. The book also talks about some of the actors and behind the sciences workers and how they found all of those people. I think that it really helps you understand how a movie is made. It is also very cool, because when I watch the movie, I know some things about it.

I think that what worked well is how they also used some cartoon drawings to explain how it was made. For example, they used cartoon drawings to show all the people needed to make a movie, compared to the one person needed to write a book. I think that made it kind of funny. One thing that kind of left me disappointed was that they only focused on all the main characters, and I would have liked it if they had talked amore about some other characters and their backgrounds and maybe how they found them or where they live.

I think that the book is very well written to describe how a movie is made, and it is also funny. I hope that they make another movie diary for the next Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie. If they do, then I will want to read it, but there probably won't because it would be kind of hard to because it might just be more of the same stuff.

I think it is very cool how they have a special teacher on set so that the actors don't fall behind in their school work. Something kind of ironic I learned from the book is that Greg and Rowley were missing their actual first days of middle school when they were acting out their first days of middle school. I like how in the end of the book, they have a photo gallery of photos from the movie and photos from back stage. I would give this book five stars.
on June 1, 2012
My son loves these books this was a great buy with fast shipping! Another great Amazon buy! If your child likes to read I recommend this series
VINE VOICEon March 17, 2010
This book is for middle-school fans of the best-selling Wimpy Kid series, starring smart aleck preteen Greg Heffley. Presented as a hardback diary, it is a companion to the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie which hits theaters on March 19th. It gives the inside story on how the live-action movie was made, with a behind-the-scenes viewpoint.

As with previous Wimpy Kid books, this one is filled with funny cartoons that illustrate the text. Unlike the others, this Movie Diary has nearly 250 color photos. Now readers don't have to picture Greg as the skinny stick-figure cartoon anymore; he's a real boy, actor Zach Gordon. Among the photos are Greg's family, friends and enemies; costumes; casting; movie props; blue-screen shots; even the catering trailer from the movie set.

Scattered among the pages are real items from the filming, such as script pages, storyboards, costume sketches, floor plans and call sheets. It is interesting to get this glimpse of backstage paraphernalia.

The book shows Greg's evolution as a simple rough sketch to the current wimpy backpack-wearing cartoon. It also shows how Zach was transformed into Greg.

The book's best quality is the tried-and-true strength from the earlier books: the loose, seemingly simple cartoons on nearly every page.

On the downside: There is no table of contents or index.

Previous Wimpy Kid books include:
Diary of a Wimpy Kind
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book

-- Julie Neal, author of The Complete Walt Disney World 2010
on October 7, 2012
My granson didn't like to read, but he needed to improve his reading skills. He loves reading now that he has read the Wimpy Kid books. He understands what he is reading now. I plan on buying him more of the Wimpy Kid Books.
on March 31, 2015
Had this book on my classroom shelf for two years when it walked away. It was a favorite of my students and was requested again. I purchased it, and it has been passed from student to student since I received it in the mail. The students love it and appreciate a little different take on the series.
on January 23, 2014
So, Jeff Kinney found being on a movie set for the first time so fascinating he wanted to share it with his audience. I LOVE THIS IDEA.

He gives a small timeline of creation of Greg, and a similar timeline for how a movie is written/cast/shot, and mixes in new cartoons with old family photos and location shots and storyboards and call sheets.

I can't think of a better way to learn about making movies than to take a beloved book/movie and show you exactly what happened.

And he dedicated the book to "Greg" and "Rowley"--Zach and Robert!

AWWWW.
on February 19, 2012
I've not read this book myself since it was actually a 'requested' birthday present for my Grandson Griffin. I will tell you that he received it about a week before his birthday and there was no way he would let his mom put it up until his big day. He grabbed it right then and as read it at least 3 times.
on January 23, 2015
Jeff Kinney uses the story behind the making of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie to reveal to readers both young and old some of the ins and outs and difficulties that go into making a movie. Kinney shows that his ability to tell a story is not limited to the realm of fiction. Children (and grownups) who are fans of the Wimpy Kid series should enjoy and learn from this behind-the-scenes book. What would have made the book better would have been more information about the actual people who did the jobs described in the book; for example, Kinney describes in detail the important role an editor plays in assembling the movie. Who was the editor? How did she become an editor for Wimpy Kid? We get short back stories for Zachary Gordon (Greg), Robert Capron (Rowley), and Thor Freundenthal(director), and it would have been nice for more of the crew to have received similar treatment. That being said, the Movie Diary is a great non-fiction read for elementary school children . . . and older.
on January 2, 2013
I've read this to my kids twice now and it's fabulous! They love anything to do with The Wimpy Kid series, including the movies. It was fun to watch the films and then read how they were made.

Like all of Kinney's books, The Movie Diary is written in a very friendly, conversational tone. In easy to understand terms, he describes some of the basic ins and outs of casting and filming a movie. He describes many of the roles of cast and crew and helps the reader understand how much work goes into a 90-minute flick. He includes lots of color pictures as well.

Very enlightening and entertaining. I highly recommend this book if you have a Wimpy Kid fan in your life.
on November 12, 2013
my son loves these series of books he is not a big fan of reading but you had him any of the wimpy kid books and he just don't want to put them down and I love it. It is great to hear him read and then just start laughing. The book are fun for the kids and entertaining also.