- Series: Classical Presences
- Hardcover: 304 pages
- Publisher: Oxford University Press; 1 edition (October 15, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0199695849
- ISBN-13: 978-0199695843
- Product Dimensions: 8.6 x 1 x 5.7 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,367,485 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Winckelmann and the Invention of Antiquity: Aesthetics and History in the Age of Altertumswissenschaft (Classical Presences) 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
We are accordingly indebted to Harloe's well-informed book for many new insights on the early reception of Winckelmann in Germany. * H. B. Nisbet, German Quarterly * meticulously researched ... This is a book of considerable learning. * Michael Squire, British Journal of Aesthetics * This learned book is well worth reading and pondering. It examines one of the central figures in the transition from eighteenth century antiquarianism to nineteenth century Altertumswissenschaft: Johann Joachim Winckelmann. * Bernie Frischer, The Classical Journal *
About the Author
Katherine Harloe is a Lecturer in Classics at the University of Reading.