Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 119 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 278 reviews
on May 16, 2013
I loved A Wrinkle In Time, but honestly, I am halfway on this one. I loved the characters. Charles Wallace and the others are just wonderful children. The Cherub was different and so was the teacher, but I must say the book lost my interest. I couldn't picture the molecular level of drama and fighting, and Meg had a lot to say. I mean A LOT to say. I had to step away a few times, and I wasn't sure if I was going to finish it.

I will say that Madeleine L'Engle is a brilliant writer. She knows how to mix science, religion, and fantasy all together in one. Her imagination is still ages beyond this current world. We still have a lot of catching up to do.

But as for this book, it wasn't my favorite. It's not a terrible story at all. It's just different, and it wasn't what I liked for my own taste.
on January 14, 2014
This review is for the Kindle edition ebook.

Amazing science fiction, with enough real science to keep the adult thinking.

In this sequel to "A Wrinkle in Time", Meg journeys inside Charles Wallace to insure his health and life. CW does not get to help this time, instead, the story takes place inside his body.

I really like the way the author is able to mix enough real science into these books to keep the adult mind thinking. While the stories are entertaining enough for children, they are complicated enough for the adult. By including enough actual science, the author gives the reader room to think about the story and the plausibility.

Madeleine L'Engle does a great job introducing the concepts of mitochondria to the reader, while letting the reader decide whether or not to follow up on them. The science in these books seems to sneak up on the reader, yet is fully visible. This book remains a fun book to read, as an adult.

I think both children and adults will enjoy reading this story. I will be reading the next book in the great series.
on May 18, 2017
I was excited to get Wrinkle in Time for my son because I loved it SO much growing up. I never did read the books that followed. He ended up loving Wrinkle in Time as much as I did. I ended up buying the whole series and none of them really compared to the first. These are still really good books for any child though. Everyone is different. Someone who doesn't like one book, may be loved by the next. I read this one alongside my son and it was just okay.
on February 5, 2014
Less of the good stuff: Less math; less science; fewer literary allusions flying thick and fast in the conversation.

More formulaic: Blajeny is a Teacher (capital T); Meg must learn lessons and must pass three trials.

The new creatures, both allies and enemies, aren't as interesting. I would enjoy learning more about Mrs. Whatsit or any of the Mrs. W's. I don't feel the same way about Blajeny. He's gone by the end of the book -- and so what?

The religious overtones became much more new-agey. That may not bother some people, but it bothered me.

On the plus side: L'Engle introduces the idea that size does not matter; that interesting things happen at all scales of the universe, from the sub-atomic to the super-galactic. I liked that idea.

Side note: for years after I read this book the first time, whenever I saw a "SCHOOL XING" sign, I would read it as "ECHTHROI XING".
on June 4, 2016
The author eloquently describes the battle between good and evil. As she draws the reader in, the readers goes on the roller coaster ride with the characters in the story, while at the same time equating the battles to their own. If there are any questions of relevance on this earth as an individual, they are answered in this story. This series is timeless and will be an enjoyable and enlightening read for all ages.
on November 21, 2014
Packaging and shipping were perfect. And the book was in good, used condition. My only concern is with the edition because the cover illustration was different from the one pictured. I'm sure my granddaughter will enjoy reading it, however.
on August 26, 2015
I deeply enjoyed this book as it reminded me of the childlike faith and fantasy that lies deep within me to this day. It furthers my thinking about reality and what it means to live in it and with it. I encourage anyone to read this who enjoys dreaming about the possibilities of life in our world beyond our mere senses.
on April 28, 2017
Great series of books for any age. I read "A Wrinkle in Time" for the first time, 42 years ago when I was 12. I've read them several times over the years. My son has also enjoyed them.
on April 19, 2013
Meg's journeys are not over yet. She has matured a bit, but it still very over-dramatic (like a typical teen I guess). Her little brother Charles Wallace isn't fitting in well at school, keeps getting beat up and is sick. In order to save him, she must work with Calvin, a cherubim and Mr. Jennings the principal that she really can't stand.

Some of the description seems too complicated for me to grasp, I may not be a scientist, but how does a kid get this? It was weird - naming and love etc, but a positive theme.
on May 9, 2015
This was my first series of real science fiction books waaaay back when I was in the sixth grade, and the books sparked a lifelong passion for reading.
I've since turned my own middle schoolers onto these books and they love them as much as I did. The story unfolds well and keeps them wanting to know what happens next, which is great incentive for reluctant readers to keep reading.