Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 12, 2017
I had read this story to my kids many years ago. Going back to it now I find it a very gentle read. Perfect after a stressful work day to settle my mind. I particularly like Ratty. A character after my heart.
THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS is one of the greatest, most endearing stories in all of children's literature. Likewise, Mr Toad is probably the most egotistical of all animals. In contrast, we have the nice Ratty, Mr Badger, and the Mole. They love to spend days having a picnic by the River, chatting and keeping each other company.

I had forgotten the whole story about Mr Toad dressing up like a washerwoman to make his escape. Mr Toad uses this thin disguise to gain pity from passersby, but of course, before long, his true colors (and his arrogance) are showing. Mr Toad just cannot help himself--he has to take over the motor car and--the power is just too much for him to resist.

There doesn't seem to be any illustrations at all in this great story--that would have been a nice touch.

For an example of a nicely illustrated edition, see The Wind in the Willows - Illustrated by Arthur Rackham

√ Recommend!

Note: No one asked me to write a good review; however, I confess I have a ceramic sculpture of "Toad Hall" on my desk at work.
on July 27, 2017
A delightful flight of fancy, I loved the adventures of Mole, Rat, Badger & the misadventures of Toad. Mr Toad does take a wild ride as mentioned in the classic tv show Murphy Brown. Toad was my favorite character. There are several parts where I had to laugh out loud while reading. This book is good for all ages. I high recommend it.
on July 30, 2016
I got this book for my husband and hired a calligrapher to re-write the quote from Ratty to Mole about “messing around in boats" that I will have framed. It will accompany the book as a birthday gift. Although the previous owner had made pencil notations translating the Old English slang into "modern English", I felt that this added to the book and will help us understand it. We never read this classic as children. Maybe now that we're older, we'll enjoy it even more! We haven't yet read it, therefore I can't describe the plot.
on May 5, 2017
LOVE THIS instead of a card with a baby shower gift, I asked everyone to bring their favorite Book to build a library for the baby to have his own collection of wonderful books! This was the book I loved as my Father read to me each night from this book as a child. Animals of the Forest and their lives a classic and beautiful book. Get your kids off TV and sit down and read to them!!!
on March 4, 2017
The illustrations are amazing. I read it to my children and they were rapt. The abridging is light, as far as I can tell; I actually couldn't point to anything I knew was abridged. The scene with Pan in the forest at the end is not included in this book.
on January 3, 2015
Just timeless! You won't be disappointed.....read it till you've got it memorized, then you can tell the story!........and watch the sparkle in your youngsters eyes!.......what fun!
on November 8, 2015
This Inga Moore illustrated version of the The Wind in the Willows is a must-have. We bought a copy to give to our daughter for her sixth birthday, and have since bought a number of copies to give to dear friends as gifts.

The story itself is as wonderful and magical as always. Though it is slightly abridged, the abridgment is done carefully and well. Nothing essential is missing, and most of the original text has been preserved.

And the illustrations are just stunning. There are images on many, if not most, pages, so there is plenty to catch and hold the attention. Even more importantly the tone of the illustrations is just right: comforting and warm, with great attention to detail. I really feel, as an adult looking at this version, that I am transported amidst the Willows. This is a book beloved by myself and my husband, and also by our daughter: a true classic for all ages.
on March 16, 2017
This was read by my 7 year old for a second grade book report. He enjoyed it quite a bit. There were some aspects of the story he did not understand, but we suspect each time he reads it he will come away with a greater understanding!
on March 27, 2015
I reread Wind (fourth or filth time? - last time in a college class) to jolt my memory before I began reading Jacqueline Kelly's Return to the Willows. [Loved her Evolution of Calpurnia Tate] I had forgotten how lyrical Grahame' s prose is and I had also forgotten that I didn't like Toad -- still don't. My first experience with Wind is as a read aloud by a beloved elementary school teacher. I think I recall arguing with classmates about me not liking Toad. I highly recommend this as a read aloud to students of any age -- don't forget the power of reading aloud to children of all ages.. I plan to use Wind in workshops on witting as example of excellent and highly descriptive prose. It was good to come back to an old friend.