Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 54 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 194 reviews
I'm not really a huge Genesis fan, but this album is amazing. I fell in love with this album in college back in the 80s and then lost it when the '94 Northridge earthquake destroyed all of my vinyl (water damage). I don't know what made me think of this album again and buy it as an Amazon download, but it's still a classic.

The tunes are good and the lyrics all tell stories in a very Lord of the Rings kind of way, with stories of underdogs in battle.

There's one track that stands out as a "single" and seems somewhat misplaced as more of a pop tune, but it's probably the most well known track as one of Genesis's few "love songs".

Most of the tracks are long enough that they seem to segue from one to the next, which makes a nice long uninterrupted mood, but if you pay attention you can still tell where Side 1 ends and Side 2 begins.

This is a great album for cold nights when you don't want to turn on the TV.
on August 2, 2014
I first heard this record back in Jr.High School.Didn't know who what Peter Gabriel was and why everyone was going on about not as good as Gabriel and on and on.I liked it then and like it now.I find it a good bridge as was Trick of the Tail from waht Genesis was to who they became.One of my favorites number is All in a Mouse's Night I have always found the fade out of this song to be one my favorite bits on any recording I have every heard.The Eleventh Earl of Mar which open the cd is a great number with the classic Genesis drama of it day.Blood on the Rooftops a great number by Hackett and Collins has wonder rhymes and shows one how TV a working musican actually watches.This would be Hacketts last Lp with Genesis and a great loss.Hackett is one my Favorite Guitarist doesn't overplay bits in songs and plays as Gabriel says very colourfully.A very good album for someone who may never had Genesis before and a great way before go to listen to gems such as Foxtrot's Supper's Ready.And before they morphed into that 80's hit machine.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2015
This is one of my favorite post Peter Gabriel albums by Genesis. It's been referred to as The One After The First One, because this album was the second one without Gabriel and they already proved to themselves that they could continue without him. The songs are pretty strong all the way through with my personal favorites being "One For The Vine" (Banks) and "Blood On The Rooftops" (mostly Hackett with help from Collins.) Afterglow is a fan favorite as well. I wonder how Banks thought he plagiarized Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas on that one, however.
on January 23, 2014
I am a huge Genesis fan, and I have enjoyed every moment I have listened to Tresspass, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, A Trick of the Tail, and of course, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (my personal favorite.) I have had Wind & Wuthering on my wish liist for a very long time. Like the previous recordings, this is one that you crank up the volume and enjoy the complex chord changes and magical melodies. It seemed to me that this was the last of that "magical world" of Genesis before they went "main stream" and started becoming "popular." Like Bieber....
on January 3, 2017
What can I say. One of the best Genesis albums. Possibly my favorite. My opinion, Genesis was at their best during this period I don't have other CD versions and I have not listened to the original vinyl in a long time so I can't comment on any differences. Sounds fine to me. .
on September 5, 2017
Collins second album singing this time around. Just as good as Trick of the Tail.
on May 14, 2007
I cant say enough about the sound of the enhanced Cd. Dont worry about

an SACD player,this will "kick" on your own system! The only part I did not like was the DVD footage, the interviews were quite good,but the "US television bootleg" and the the Japanese television bootleg" were terrible!

The TV boot,came from the Mike Douglas Show. You can hardly make out their

faces,poor quality of sound. The Japanese footage was full of shadows!

In the interview section,Steve Hackett(of course leaves after this one)

talks about feeling intimidated with the other members on their writting

capabilities. Banks gives you the impression that he is "the boss" on this musical journey! Rutherford does compliment Hackett on the great job on "Blood on the Rooftops". Hackett states he did almost everything except play the drums on that one. I am really excited for this musical

venue to come out. Again, dont worry about the SACD player ,you WILL HEAR THE DIFFERENCE! Remember,its the sound we are after,the DVD is just an added feature.
on October 11, 2016
"One for the Vine" is Genesis' most underrate song and it will always be one of the most adventurous songs I've heard. It's one of the greatest demonstrations of just how powerful a song can be when the lyrics and music are equally rivaling each other. The coda sums up Tony Banks' and Steve Hackett's musical relationship and seals the song in beautifully. We all know those dull artists who design songs using the formula:
(satisfaction) = (musical satisfaction) + (lyrical satisfaction)

Then you have the formula most respected artists can arrange songs to follow:
(satisfaction) = (musical satisfaction) * (lyrical satisfaction)

Then you have this formula Genesis (mainly Tony Banks) created and tried it out on "One for the Vine":
(satisfaction) = [(musical satisfaction) * (lyrical satisfaction)]^2

"Your Own Special Way" is another phenomenal track, musically, and the entire album has incredible production. I really recommend getting this bad boy on vinyl
on April 6, 2017
Probably my favorite Genesis album. This purchase was for a replacement copy for a misplaced CD.
on January 27, 2016
Purchased the Definitive Edition Remaster version released in 2008. The sound quality is simply awful. Totally compressed with indistinct vocals and very poor frequency range. My original vinyl records from 1976 blow it away. If you care what it sounds like, don't buy this one.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse