Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,881 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,960 reviews
With Microsoft ending its support of XP on April 8th, I knew I had to do something about one of our older Dell computers that's been running XP for the last -- wow maybe 8 years? A little voice told me I should just spend $400 on a new computer instead of $100 on a new OS but the old computer works fine and was pretty fast on XP, and the Windows Upgrade Advisor (free download, google it) told me that the unit would have no problems with Windows 7.

So I copied all of my picture and document files off of the computer onto an external hard drive and booted this DVD. It only took about 10 minutes to install Windows 7 and yes, the hardest part is reading the micro type on the password key to unlock the copy of Windows. I took a picture with my iPhone and then zoomed in to read the numbers but even with that one number was VERY hard to read. After activation I spent the next hour or so configuring the computer, and I used Windows Easy Transfer (another free program from Microsoft) to move all the files over.

Windows 7 is a great OS -- I didn't want to mess around with Windows 8.1 .... this disk is only usable on ONE computer and once you use the key there, it is forever locked to that computer's motherboard, so don't think you can install this on all the computers in your house.

For me this was easier than going through the hassle of ordering a new computer but I might regret that decision down the road since I just dropped $100 onto a pretty old computer.... but for now I'm very happy with how Windows 7 is performing and how easy it was to install on my old computer.
4040 comments| 370 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2015
Sadly after paying for the item and I received it. Turns out it was a pirated disc. It was a burned 's with a printed label on it.
review image
on July 5, 2014
I have discovered that I can't activate this because apparently it is pirated. It is past the return time for it. I thought that it would automatically activate when I went online, so I did not check the activation. I've built many PCs and have had pirated copies before. This is the first from an Amazon sail, so I'm extremely distressed about it. The PC it is installed in is for my wife, and she was using it for over a month when she told me it stopped working properly. I tried to activate it and that's when I discovered the problem.
Since I couldn't return it I went to a different buyer. Very disappointed.
33 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2014
I used this to install on bootcamp for my mac book pro 15 retina. It came in a little paper and installed quickly. No problems.
55 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2015
It doesn't work because it shows That I may be a victim of software counterfeiting and the copy of Windows is not genuine.
I'm requesting a refund please
review image review image
on July 2, 2016
NOTE: Don't listen to all the reviews saying that this is a pirated software. It is a genuine windows OS! You have to activate this over the phone and not the internet. I can't say why that is the case but It only took a 10 minute automated phone call and it was up and running flawlessly. I installed this on a new build that I put together myself. Installed the first time with no problems at all.
on May 10, 2016
I was building a new budget gaming computer, and every computer needs an operating system. I'm not quite ready to jump on the Windows 10 band wagon, and Windows 8 leaves a lot to be desired, so Windows 7 was a no brainer for me. As usual, Amazon had the cheapest price and with Prime shipping too.

Everything installed easily, and I didn't think much of it until a month later when Microsoft insisted I active my install. I went through the process of calling the number and typing in all the numbers into their appropriate boxes, but in the end it kept telling me my product key had been blocked by Microsoft and I would have to purchase a new key. I immediately called Amazon customer service and even though this was purchased through a third party and fulfilled by Amazon as well as past the 30 day return window the customer service rep refunded my money and provided a return shipping label.

Yes I lost a little time messing around with the install trying to activate it, but in the end Amazon's customer service was as good as I hoped it would be.
review image
on March 9, 2015
I loved XP and put Win 8 on my laptop. I absolutely hate 8. When I upgraded my desktop I tried 7 and I love it. I have had some trouble with the network drivers and if you are not well versed in operating systems you may want to have a professional install this.
on July 15, 2014
This worked very well for me. After a big computer crash I put a new hard drive in my Acer Aspire laptop. Since Fry's wanted to charge me $150.00 to reinstall Windows 7 (which I think it is a ripoff since I purchased the computer from them and had the product key # for Windows 7 listed on back of the computer) I decided to buy this for for about $50 less and not get ripped off by Fry's. It is also nice to have your own DVD of Windows 7, which places like Fry's don't include with your computer purchase anymore. It was a smooth install, like butter. The DVD is white color with black lettering on it. It says intended for distribution with a refurbished computer PC. It includes Service Pack 1 on it, which it automatically installs. It is 64 bit. It comes in a clear plastic DVD case. It has a small piece of paper inside with the product key. If you have good eyesight no problem, otherwise you will need a magnifying glass to read it. Fortunately the install never even asked for the product key, it just installed without it. Based on how well it installed with no hassles I have to give it a 5 star review. My only problem was that after ordering it took about 4 days before they shipped. Most Amazon prime ship pronto, but this took a little longer. Other than that, it was a nice purchase and I am very happy with the product.
on August 21, 2016
My laptop I installed the product on the scree turned black with a note on the bottom right of the screen which says the copy of Windows is not genuine. I tried to reinstall and it would not accept the product key. To late to return don't know what to do. As far as I'm concerned I'm out $112.00