Lyft Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 301 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 311 reviews
on April 16, 2014
EDIT:
Changed to 1 star, since that's what people look at the most:
Do NOT buy if it's coming from "Big Buys". I've bought several copies recently; anything coming straight from Amazon is legit, but I got couple of couple from Big Buys that were definitely pulled from other systems. This has caused me two issues up front: it's hard to avoid ripping the CoA sticker when removing it from the shrink wrap they use. One of the keys had to be activated over the phone. In the long term, I get the added benefit(lulz) of possibly having these keys deactivate sometime in the future.
Sorry for assuming people didn't know how to key in some numbers and letters. Don't trust third-party software vendors on Amazon!

--------------------------------------------------

These are legitimate - sealed - copies of Windows 7 Professional(which can be used to activate Windows 7 Pro x64, FYI). I suspect the people that are experiencing issues may be having a hard time reading the even tinier product keys supplied on the slim copies. Make sure you aren't confusing 'B' for '8' or 'P' for 'R'. If Microsoft told you it was an invalid key, you're likely telling them the wrong set of characters; if someone had broken the seal and used the key, it'd still be a valid key.
That said, I did have issues with copies of Kaspersky I'd bought on Amazon already being activated. In Amazon's defense, it was one of those items that was fulfilled by Amazon but sold by another company. You never know, I guess, but I received copies that activated just fine.
on March 15, 2014
I have been running XP on a Dell XPS since 2009. I really didn't want to upgrade, but due to the last update from Microsoft this month and the fact Support for XP was dropping on April 2014, I figured it was time for me to make the move.
I was a little upset when I found out that you could not Upgrade XP with Windows 7 directly. It requires some careful planning and re-installation of your Programs. Happy to say, I accomplished this in about 3 hours, the Upgrade to Windows 7 was Successful. I have a few updated Windows 7 Drivers I need to install, but I am basically done. Use the Windows Easy Transfer Program to a USB Drive, this is a must... Good Luck with your Install !

Since the Review (Buyers Take Note...)
My Windows 7 Software after a week of flawless installation, asked for an Activation Key.
I did not have a Activation Key in the Package, or anywhere I could find.

I called Microsoft, and they built me a Activation Key based on the numbers that were printed on the CD for a charge of $40.00. I am passed the problem, but my advice is if you purchase this software be sure you have a Activation Key before you get started.
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2014
I purchase Windows 7 Professional SP1 32 Bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack (New Packaging) expecting to receive a new packaged shrink wrapped box with software enclosed. What I got was a bubble envelope package from Direct Discount with an open CD container with a CD with a white label that says on it "Intended for distribution with a refurbished PC." I wish I could take a photo and upload the packaging and the CD. Just be aware this is NOT as pictured in a Windows 7 box with shrink wrap. IT IS IN AN UNSEALED GENERIC CONTAINER that could be used for any other CD in the world and the CD looks equally generic with non of the holographic imaging you expect on a Microsoft product. I don't even know if this is a legitimate copy. Update: Product was delivered yesterday. I am returning the product when the UPS man comes to pick up the package and I will not buy from Direct Discount again.

Found a way to to give you a view of the packaging so you know what to expect if you order this product. See Video.
on June 15, 2015
Purchased 10 of these for 10 new computer builds. I questioned the legitimacy of the licensing from the start when I saw the packaging. They were all in clear cases with a bar coded label that states "Windows 7 Professional SP1 32 OEM System Builder DVD (New Packaging)". The product key sticker stated "Windows 7 Pro Refurbished PCs", not the OEM System Builder that the product title and above referenced sticker displays. I thought that I would install and see if the OS would activate and if it did, then I thought they would be OK as I was under a deadline to get all 10 of these computers built, tested and installed. All 10 installed and activated properly and I was able to get the computers done on schedule. Everything had been working fine until several weeks ago when all 10 of the computers started displaying a message stating that this copy of Windows is not genuine. I have tried to re-activate using the automated activation number and by talk to a representative and neither worked. As a result, I have 10 computers that need new licenses for Windows after paying $1200.00 for it. I have been unable to request a refund because of the amount of time that has passed since the original order. What can I do given that the software "activated" temporarily? I would not by another product from this seller and despite that many customers have received "legit" licenses, there ARE those of us that did not and that tells us the seller is willing to sell used products as new. I have included a picture of what the cases look like.
review image
on April 2, 2014
Having an older 17" HP laptop with XP, I wasn't sure if this would work or not. All indications were that it would, so I took the chance and ordered it. I made sure I backed up my files first and then did a full install which is normally what is recommended. It loaded without a hitch. I couldn't be more pleased. Problems I was having previously, mostly with the amount of time it took to perform an operation or boot up are gone. Much faster now! I would recommend that once loaded that you find your device under Control Panel or from the Start button and see if any problems were detected. I only had one and that was a Mass Storage driver. Windows found the update and everything was good from there on. Oh one other thing I ran into was with the touchpad. I still don't understand why I wasn't having the problem before, but after some research, found out what was causing the problem. I use a wireless mouse with my laptop and was having a problem with the cursor jumping around when I would type. All of a sudden I would be typing in an entirely different area. The problem was the sensitivity of the touchpad as my hand moved over it. All I had to do was disable the touchpad (a simple button on my HP) or simply to cover it up with something and problem solved!
on June 8, 2017
I was extorted into buying this hacked code, that is called an operating system (I spent 7 years developing real OS's.), because quicken refused to execute on XP (not that that was any better). Does a single week go by, where MSFT does not have to patch some horrible flaw in the OS design? Truthfully, I have lost count.
But if you insist on using MSFT products, it looks, acts, feels, usable, intuitive, as any of their other products.
on November 7, 2016
I have a 7 year old laptop that's in great shape, but it had Windows Vista on it. That was a good OS, but Google stopped updating Chrome & I didn't like that since it's my primary browser. I wanted to pro-long the life of this laptop a few more years & I really like Windows 7 Pro. We've used it at work, so I'm comfortable with it. I purchased this software at a reasonable price and followed instructions I'd found online for performing a complete install (wipe the current system and install this one). Worked like a charm.

I have changed this review to 1 star because I now receive an error message upon login that says "Windows not authentic" and the activation key is invalid.
on July 5, 2014
I ordered it on June 23rd and it was promised to arrive by July 2. It arrived July 1. Impossible to enter product key via internet, (kept saying invalid # for this installation) so I called the seller and was told to call Microsoft's number and enter via telephone. After a person spoke to me briefly, i was passed back to a computer generated help system and was successful in activating by entering 8 sets of 5 or 6 numbers. Not the sellers fault......just typical for Microsoft.
The product is as advertised.
UPDATED Review: I thought I ordered the OEM System Builder DVD. It is NOT as advertised. It does say on the DVD "intended for distribution with a refurbished PC", which the seller did not print in their product description. I blame myself for being in a hurry to help a friend, going for least expensive and NOT reading all of the reviews. Thanks to Josh for clarifying. I don't want someone else to be fooled.
on May 5, 2016
The installation of Windows 7 requires a clean install. This was no surprise, but did require re-installation of all programs and drivers. The major problems I faced were the failure of Windows Update to successfully complete, and the inability to install a new mail program (Windows Mail is not supported in Windows 7). Windows Essentials was available on line, but would not successfully install. I assume this was due to missing updates. I actually went back and went through a complete repeat of the clean install assuming this was an installation issue. Not so.

Windows Update ran for almost 24 hrs, identified 211 updates, but failed to install any. The program indicated error code 8007000E, and "service registration is missing or corrupt". I ran the Window Update Diagnostic utility consecutively several times. After multiple runs it indicated the service registration problem was fixed. Several more attempts to run Windows Update failed with the same error code (but no service registration indication). After some further investigation on line I assumed the problem was insufficient memory in this 32bit system to accommodate the large number of updates. I went to the Windows directory and deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder (you can rename it if your nervous). This removed all the data associated with earlier failed update attempts freeing up memory. I changed the settings in Windows Update from Automatic download of updates to Let me choose what updates to download and install. My thought was to reduce memory requirements as much as possible. Likewise I closed down several startup programs in Task Manage to eliminate their memory requirements. Several more fruitless and frustrating attempts, back to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder each time, then another overnight run of Windows Updater. Finally Windows Updater successfully completed and announced 211 updates were available to select and install. I chose to install only some updates, selecting the 50 oldest, then installing. Success finally. Went back to successfully install the remaining important updates, and then ran Updater several more times identifying additional updates triggered by earlier updates. Also selected all recommended updates and some optional to bring machine up to date.

With Windows up to date I was able to install my Office software, and go through several more rounds of Office updates. I was also able to successfully install the Windows Live Mail app in Windows Essentials to get my e-mail services back up.

While I'm happy to have my system up on Windows 7, the experience was frustrating and very time consuming. There's certainly a valid argument for staying current with operating system "improvements" to avoid the requirement and pitfalls of clean installations, and the need for countless updates. But frankly each Windows "improvement" seems to lose functionality and value.

Information available on line was critical to eventually solving my issues, but much of it is conflicting, confusing, and not appropriate to my problems. You really need to be careful.
on January 26, 2017
I was upset to have paid the money for the incorrect advertised product I could have bought it directly from Microsoft Website this is labeled wrong as 32 bit it's 64 bit operating system so that's why it can't work on computers with smaller Core Processors. It's a shame because you can no longer even download the versions of Windows 7 to upgrade from Windows XP/ Vista and it's missing a component code from the third service pack which should have worked if the compatible data speed was the right one. Not sure why this is becoming such a big problem with the companies practically mandating that you upgrade despite personal preferences and the hesitance to change immediately to a newer launch version without any years of experience that it was tested and is reliable without complications of not being coded properly or getting corrupted that is why many people want to keep the older Windows Version by waiting a few years and watching reviews surface explaining the trust is a good decision.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse