Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 59 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 86 reviews
on February 21, 2016
The Kindle version of this book has many typos. I counted more than 10 before I quit counting about a quarter of the way through. I'm pretty sure the previous book in the series had many as well, although in that book, some were hard to tell because they were in the midst of transliterated conversation by the Gyphoons. In this book, however, they were unmistakable. This is just plain bush league and it was enough to detract from the enjoyment.
Regarding the story: this is the climax of a trilogy and integral to a much longer history of Valdemar. If you have been hooked by this universe then you will enjoy this book.
Some parts of the book are a little slow as it gets caught up in characters' thinking which tends to ramble. Also, sometime the thoughts are so intermixed with dialogue that the dialogue is interrupted and hard to follow. A person will say something and then there is a page or more of another person's thoughts that may or may not be directly a result of the vocal comment. Add to it is the fact that some of the dialogue is in mind-speech and it does get confusing.
Dialogue is fun and characters are interesting.
There is more than one love story going which makes it fun for the romantic.
This series included some pretty horrible villains. The things done by these villains are horrible and are most assuredly torture and sadism. While Lackey attempts not to be overly explicit, the descriptions are enough that if you don't like such things, then these books may not appeal to you. Personally, I thought they were a little too much, but I still finished the books and will probably read other series. (Note that if you haven't read the Arrows series, this is true to a lesser extent also of Arrow's Fall, but not as much so in the first two books of that series.)
This series also delves deeply into the appearance and intervention of gods/godesses and their avatars, not to mention spirits of long dead persons.
on June 20, 2016
I have read this book years ago, and loved it then. When The "Magic" trilogy was released in February of this year, I decided to read the
"Winds" trilogy again since they both relate to Vanyel and the Taylaydras people. I love having them on my kindle so I can reread them whenever I want to. I'm a big fan of Mercedes Lackey and also Marion Zimmer Bradley. I love books about telepathy and magic so this fits the bill for me.
on April 18, 2015
As this was a reread and a repurchase of a lost book, it was what I remembered it to be and I do like this author. Sold as standard fantasy, a lot of her earlier writing, when she isn't collaborating with her husband, comes off as more Young Adult that standard, all-age, fair. While her newer novels, involving pre-teens and teens, are feeling like more mature books. Although, it does feel like she is starting to run out of things to write about in this world. I think she needs to go back to the very beginning and write about the founding of the country and of Haven, back to the baron that fled the empire, and the very first heralds.
on June 26, 2017
Andesha lost all he was when a evil adept took over his body. Used him to hurt others and to experiment on his own body. Fought back with all his spirit and earned his freedom from darkness.
on November 16, 2016
I was rather disappointed in this trilogy. I loved the first Arrows of,the Queen trilogy, but these three didn't cohere as well. Too many stories juggling for their moment in the spotlight and the conversion to ebook has been poorly done. The typos are appalling, especially in the second in the series. It appears to have been scanned and poorly proofread. Similarly, the illustrations between chapters are often just smudges of grey and black tones. I did enjoy some of the characters. But Elspeth and Darkwind pale in comparison with Thalia and Dirk.
on April 30, 2015
This is a wonderful book and a staple in my library both hardback and now kindle. That being said, the eformat is poorly done and full of errors and typos. To the point that it detracts from the story itself. Some of the words are written in the world of "Valdemar" language, and are completely mangled. Others are common English words misspelled, or simply the wrong word entirely. At the cost of the ebook, I would think the publisher could take a bit of time to proofread prior to releasing. Better off purchasing this in paperback.
on April 8, 2016
I read these many years ago and thought to revisit since I love the Valdemar stores. I don't remember if the paperback copies were as poorly proof read as these are. The editing is HORRIBLE! The mistakes make the 3 books very difficult to read. There are misspellings, characters missing, hyphening errors and I suspect complete sections missing. Transitions from one scene to another confusing and dis-jointed. Someone needs to go back and proof read the Kindle versions. Mercedes Lackey is a great author. She deserves better than this!
on June 29, 2014
*sigh* Once again an e-book edition of a book I already had in print, this time hardcover. Three chapters in I have already found numerous places where words were misspelled, misused, or even omitted entirely, and checked my print version to be certain they were errors only in the e-book.

This review should be considered ONLY of the e-book edition I would give the book itself 4 stars. If Amazon is unable/unwilling to undertake the proper editing of the books by this Author they should send them back to the publisher with a politely worded request to edit them before submitting them for sale
on April 5, 2017
Great series, very pleased with this purchase.
on November 30, 2014
Gryphonic speech in original text was rendered with additional characters to evoke thier accent. The OCR program has a terrible time with it, rendering some passages nearly unreadable. The entire text is riddled with minor errors (double r becomes n, i and l are interchanged, etc.). The kindle version desperately needs proofreading; I would be terribly embarrassed were I the author! Note that this is true for all of Winds and all of Storms.